• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL SDR-35 AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 183 63.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 90 31.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters

dlaloum

Major Contributor
If your power amp requires 2V for rated power, (ie: 2V output)- then at normal listening levels (average level of around 75db) - your amp will need 0.5W to achieve that level - that would be around -26db or an output from the pre of around 0.1V for a 200W amp

Sticking with that 200W amp, raising the input to 0.7V - we get output power of 4W - average listening level would now be somewhere around 87db (@ 3m)

So at a very loud listening level, we enter the optimal Zone for distortion and Noise - 0.9W gets us around 6W and 89db

To me that sounds pretty damn good...

When things get loud - there is lots of music signal which will cover up noise and THD

At normal listening levels, the pre gets it optimal SINAD readings - which is exactly where you want them to be!

I really fail to understand why people consider this a negative?!

At which point in the output level chart would you want the optimal SINAD ? at which listening levels would the SINAD be most audible?

This seems like a very sensible / logical design choice!

Krobar

According to Harman support, their HDMI 2.1 board supports all HDMI 2.1 specs including speeds to 48 gpbs, although I have no way to independently verify.

The JBL datasheet claims 40gbit. Anthem use the exact same HDMI card and OSD solution (They just change the colours) and they claim 48gbit for the AVM90. It is likely one of them is wrong.

I will be setting up my RTX3080 with an AV40_8K and LG C1 at the weekend. The C1 can display 4K/120/RGB 12bit (ie. 48Gbit) with an EDID override so I will try to find out if a 48Gbit signal will work.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
All the HDMI2.1 AVR's are 40gb - I don't think 48Gb chips are out yet...

Krobar

I'm 90% sure you are right. After the DTS:X Pro debacle it would not surprise me if Anthem's claim of 48gbit is false.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If your power amp requires 2V for rated power, (ie: 2V output)- then at normal listening levels (average level of around 75db) - your amp will need 0.5W to achieve that level - that would be around -26db or an output from the pre of around 0.1V for a 200W amp

Sticking with that 200W amp, raising the input to 0.7V - we get output power of 4W - average listening level would now be somewhere around 87db (@ 3m)

So at a very loud listening level, we enter the optimal Zone for distortion and Noise - 0.9W gets us around 6W and 89db

To me that sounds pretty damn good...

When things get loud - there is lots of music signal which will cover up noise and THD

At normal listening levels, the pre gets it optimal SINAD readings - which is exactly where you want them to be!

I really fail to understand why people consider this a negative?!

At which point in the output level chart would you want the optimal SINAD ? at which listening levels would the SINAD be most audible?

This seems like a very sensible / logical design choice!

It’s not horrible, but the Denon x8500h achieves similar SINAD at 1V and 2V. Take your estimates to 4m distances which would represent a modest US sized media room.

It works if you are running JBL SCL-1’s with 94 dB/2.83V but not as great if you are running the Ultima2 Salon at 86 dB/2.83V.

jam

I only see speaker terminals for 7 channels. Where are the connections for the other 7 channels?
You have to use the "PREAMP OUT" RCA connections to the left of the speaker terminals and connect external amplifiers as needed. You can see the section for the main 8 channels preamp out RCAs that "mirror" the speaker terminals, over that you have another "PREAMP OUT" box with the "CH13/CH14" and "CH15/16" RCAs plus the SUB2. Finally on top of that last section you have another one with the "HEIGHT1" and "HEIGHT2" RCAs.

One could also use Dante as DonR mentioned but most people don't have Dante equipped amps for now. Dante would actually bypass all the analog design shortcomings of this unit since Dante sends the signals digitally through network cables and can allow one to use DSP gear to implement very accurate crossover networks in the digital domain to feed the drivers of speakers with the appropriate DACs and amps. A few active speakers on the market actually have Dante connections with all the necessary DSP/DACs/amps internally installed. We'll probably see more of those in the future.

Krobar

Have just done some testing with my AV40_8K (Sister product with same HDMI card), the AV40 with my LG C1 correctly reports it ports as max 40Gbit in the EDID in this setup. The LG C1 reports itself as 40Gbit max but can handle 48Gbit with EDID override. I tried editing the EDID using CRU to allow FRL level 6 (48Gbit) but whilst that made 4K/120 12bit RGB appear in the Nvidia Control Panel trying to set it crashed the graphics driver. I'm not 100% sure if my EDID editing was correct or if more changes are needed but most likely the JBLs/Arcams/Anthems are 40Gbit max.

That said 40Gbit all worked perfectly with my RTX 3080 12GB, AV40 & C1. 4K/120 RGB 10bit HDR with Gsync and Dolby Atmos all working nicely together. Played about 2 hours of Shadow of the Tomb Raider and the whole experience was excellent, should have connected my gaming PC to the home theatre a long time ago.

DuncanTodd

Hi, I was looking at the MX 100 the other day, beautiful looking piece of gear. Interestingly there was not a single analog input on it. I don’t know the price here in the states, but I don’t believe it’s inexpensive.

Mcintosh headquarters is less than an hour away from me I always thought it would be interesting to do the tour of their plant. If they still do that with this Covid thing going on.
I read somewhere someone claiming the MX123 is really a pimped up Marantz AV8805. I don't remember where but he made a point that both remote controls look identical.

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Let’s call it what it is… highway robbery. Especially if it’s true that the internal amps cannot be turned off, although I do see preamp outs. I can’t imagine JBL being this incompetent to do that, but nothing surprises me anymore.
Question is, if someone stole this from you while you were on the highway, would you be upset?

Sorry, I got nuthin' else, this thing is big, and mediocre, not a great combo.

DrStranger

Have just done some testing with my AV40_8K (Sister product with same HDMI card), the AV40 with my LG C1 correctly reports it ports as max 40Gbit in the EDID in this setup. The LG C1 reports itself as 40Gbit max but can handle 48Gbit with EDID override. I tried editing the EDID using CRU to allow FRL level 6 (48Gbit) but whilst that made 4K/120 12bit RGB appear in the Nvidia Control Panel trying to set it crashed the graphics driver. I'm not 100% sure if my EDID editing was correct or if more changes are needed but most likely the JBLs/Arcams/Anthems are 40Gbit max.

That said 40Gbit all worked perfectly with my RTX 3080 12GB, AV40 & C1. 4K/120 RGB 10bit HDR with Gsync and Dolby Atmos all working nicely together. Played about 2 hours of Shadow of the Tomb Raider and the whole experience was excellent, should have connected my gaming PC to the home theatre a long time ago.
Thank you for taking time testing.

Krobar

I read somewhere someone claiming the MX123 is really a pimped up Marantz AV8805. I don't remember where but he made a point that both remote controls look identical.

It is.

MX100 is an AV7705 DSP section but with a unique DAC and analogue section. I think the MX100 would be an interesting review.

MX180 is a modified Lyngdorf platform.

andrewskaterrr

Thoughts…
-16 channels check
-DLBC capable and included check
-Price seems high but everything that is currently 16 channels is expensive, but even so it seems high
-No DTS Pro is unforgivable for a 16 channel processor IMO. Not sure why this platform and the monoprice htp1 don’t have it.
-Seems to be quite a few happy SDP55 owners after a bumpy firmware road.
My dealer has been asking for DTS:X Pro to come this these units for over a year in their JBL meetings. He told me that they seemed to have finally started considering it. I haven't gotten an update in a few months, so not sure what the status is. I'll try to post back if I hear anything.

andrewskaterrr

Why? It’s not a codec used on content people view (I.e. streaming). Neural:X is the worst of the immersive upmixers IMO for stereo music. Besides, isn’t the distinction between Pro and regular just channel count? Sixteen channels on a modern AVR/P generally means 7.1.4 with multiple subs integrated with DLBC. Doesn’t normal DTS-X handle that? If it were a 20-channel thing then ok, it should support all of the wides and middles or whatever.
You need Pro to get Front Wide and 6 atmos support not only in DTS:X content, but also with Neural:X. I prefer to use the upmixer of the codec I'm using ie: DSU for Dolby, and Neural:X for DTS. My dealer said they finally started talking about it after he had been asking for like a year in their meetings. I'm still waiting for an update because I run 9.4.6.

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I run 7.2.6 CH/VOG which I like for my single row dedicated room but I see your point about high channel counts being useful for larger dedicated rooms.
I'm building a house, and I have a designated room for a cinema room. 4 meters wide, 6 meters long and 3 meters high. System 7.4.4 will be probably perfect. System with 9 speakers would be too much?

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm building a house, and I have a designated room for a cinema room. 4 meters wide, 6 meters long and 3 meters high. System 7.4.4 will be probably perfect. System with 9 speakers would be too much?
If you have quite a distance between your LCR and your surround speakers (generally to the sides of the main listening position or slightly behind) I would encourage front wide speakers as well if it can fit in your channel count your processor provides.

andrewskaterrr

If you have quite a distance between your LCR and your surround speakers (generally to the sides of the main listening position or slightly behind) I would encourage front wide speakers as well if it can fit in your channel count your processor provides.
Agreed. I love my Front Wides, it just sucks that not everything uses them.

Jbrunwa

Agreed. I love my Front Wides, it just sucks that not everything uses them.
It would be nice to see DTS:X Pro, but if there could be only one major upgrade this year, I can understand if HDMI 2.1 upgrade was the priority. I appreciate that Harman released the HDMI 2.1 upgrade for Arcam/JBL customers before shipping newer models with the upgrade built-in. Too often, it's the other way round for existing customers who have to wait until the newer units have been shipping for a while.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is true that not all Atmos use them, but many (most?) of the new stuff released seems to. Plus any 5.1/7.1 movie content can use Neural X to upmix and is very good (If you have 11 channels or less without DTS X Pro or over 11 channels with DTS X Pro).

Top Bottom