• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping G5 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 75 20.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 257 70.8%

• Total voters

jerm_ph

I just got my G5. Mine is not the "lightning version". I will be using it on my desk most of the time.
I am using it with my iPhone 13 mini using a lightning to USB type C cable commonly found in SE Asian online marketplace. I attached a "MagSafe compatible" sticker on the back of the G5 so that I can stick my phone on top of it similar to the concept of the Khadas Tea. I am not really worried about my cable not being MFi certified as I have been using non-MFI cables and devices for the past 5-6 years with iPhones and none gave me issues so far.

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3819.JPG

IMG_20220824_093202.jpg

The Topping G5 is almost the same size as the iPhone 13 mini. Strictly speaking, the G5 is slightly longer and wider than the phone.

Last edited:

ririt

I just got my G5. Mine is not the "lightning version". I will be mostly using it on my desk most of the time.
I am using it with my iPhone 13 mini using a lightning to USB type C cable commonly found in SE Asian online marketplace. I attached a "MagSafe compatible" sticker on the back of the G5 so that I can stick my phone on top of it similar to the concept of the Khadas Tea. I am not really worried about my cable not being MFi certified as I have been using non-MFI cables and devices for the past 5-6 years with iPhones and none gave me issues so far.

View attachment 226280

View attachment 226279

View attachment 226281

The Topping G5 is almost the same size as the iPhone 13 mini. Strictly speaking, the G5 is slightly longer and wider than the phone.
Can you provide info or a link about the lightning to USB C cable you are using?

ririt

I just got my G5. Mine is not the "lightning version". I will be mostly using it on my desk most of the time.

View attachment 226280

View attachment 226279

View attachment 226281

Moreover info / link about the magsafe sticker you are using will be appreciated

jerm_ph

Moreover info / link about the magsafe sticker you are using will be appreciated
For the cable, I am using JCALLY OT03

I have ddHiFi MFi06 coming. This may be better in terms of quality.

For the sticker, I am using Nillkin Snaphold

I think you can find them on Amazon or AliExpress. I cannot provide a direct link to where I bought them because they are local online shopping platforms.

Last edited:

ririt

For the cable, I am using JCALLY OT03

I have ddHiFi MFi06 coming. This may be better in terms of quality.

For the sticker, I am using Nillkin Snaphold

I think you can find them on Amazon or AliExpress. I cannot provide a direct link to where I bought them because they are locally online shopping platforms.
many thanks for the info!

C4PPY

I just got my G5. Mine is not the "lightning version". I will be using it on my desk most of the time.

View attachment 226280

View attachment 226279

View attachment 226281

More important .. What do you think of the G5 with your selection of gear?

jerm_ph

More important .. What do you think of the G5 with your selection of gear?
Sounds warmer. Doesn’t sound clinical at all. It doesn’t have the typical ESS harshness. The DAC chip in it can finally compete with the velvety sound of DAC chips from other manufacturers!

Just kidding…

Seriously, it drives my HD6xx really loud even at medium gain. I haven’t use it yet with IEMs though. But with headphones, i can hear RF interference noise ONLY when both the following conditions are met:
1. Bluetooth is connecting/disconnecting
2. My phone is on top of the device.

Did not notice noise once the Bluetooth connection has been established or while connected to USB while my phone is on top of it. These are my initial impressions so far. I haven’t really done any critical evaluation nor planning to do one. I only tested the input selection (except AUX) and gain selection then continued my usual day. For the LED indicators, i have not verified them yet. Battery life is to be seen.

C4PPY

Sounds warmer. Doesn’t sound clinical at all. It doesn’t have the typical ESS harshness. The DAC chip in it can finally compete with the velvety sound of DAC chips from other manufacturers!

Just kidding…

Seriously, it drives my HD6xx really loud even at medium gain. I haven’t use it yet with IEMs though. But with headphones, i can hear RF interference noise ONLY when both the following conditions are met:
1. Bluetooth is connecting/disconnecting
2. My phone is on top of the device.

Did not notice noise once the Bluetooth connection has been established or while connected to USB while my phone is on top of it. These are my initial impressions so far. I haven’t really done any critical evaluation nor planning to do one. I only tested the input selection (except AUX) and gain selection then continued my usual day. For the LED indicators, i have not verified them yet. Battery life is to be seen.
Thanks!
Sounds like a great little piece of kit!
Have you tested the BT range? That is one of the things I have been thinking about as I will use it mostly in the home office where I transmit from a PC and then tend to walk around while working in the office(plus to the coffee machine in the kitchen).

jerm_ph

Thanks!
Sounds like a great little piece of kit!
Have you tested the BT range? That is one of the things I have been thinking about as I will use it mostly in the home office where I transmit from a PC and then tend to walk around while working in the office(plus to the coffee machine in the kitchen).
I just tried it with my Sony TV and phone. The range with TV is terrible - just around 3-4 meters at line of sight. With my phone, the range is better. No dropouts at around 10-12 meters with some obstruction. I haven’t tested the maximum range though.

Impossible

So I got my G5 and fiio btr7.

The G5 is the normal topping sound. Basically very similar to my d90se + A90 stack. You would have to listen carefully to hear the difference.

If you like the topping sound you will love this. But it's not for me, same as the d90se A90. Here's why, I feel like with topping the top 2db of each note has been chopped off. The bass lacks agility I.e. Some base notes sound more similar then they should. The bass is wide and thick but missing the peak. This is the same for 4k to 8khz region. A good example is listening to "Massive attack - I against I" it starts off with some bass notes and then the big bass notes kick in around 20s in. On the topping gear the intro bass and bass at 20s sounds similar. I have the fiio k9 pro ESS and that doesn't have the last 2 dB of the magic missing. It's brilliant. You can clearly hear how the bass notes are different. Another example is "Tron legacy - flynn lives" at 2:24 the flut kicks in, on the topping gear(A90 d90 as well) it's not very present, on the k9 pro it's all there.
This takes the life from the music.

I'll be waiting for the fiio q7 instead.

The G5 sounds great but missing the magic.

Attachments

• IMG_20220824_223448.jpg
    IMG_20220824_223448.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The G5 is the normal topping sound. Basically very similar to my d90se + A90 stack. You would have to listen carefully to hear the difference.

If you like the topping sound you will love this. But it's not for me, same as the d90se A90. Here's why, I feel like with topping the top 2db of each note has been chopped off. The bass lacks agility I.e. Some base notes sound more similar then they should. The bass is wide and thick but missing the peak. This is the same for 4k to 8khz region. A good example is listening to "Massive attack - I against I" it starts off with some bass notes and then the big bass notes kick in around 20s in. On the topping gear the intro bass and bass at 20s sounds similar. I have the fiio k9 pro ESS and that doesn't have the last 2 dB of the magic missing. It's brilliant. You can clearly hear how the bass notes are different. Another example is "Tron legacy - flynn lives" at 2:24 the flut kicks in, on the topping gear(A90 d90 as well) it's not very present, on the k9 pro it's all there.
This takes the life from the music.

I'll be waiting for the fiio q7 instead.

The G5 sounds great but missing the magic.
You're probably imagining all these differences, and/or your comparisons aren't level matched - it always sounds more dynamic & better when it's louder.

Illtrick

What headphones are you driving? Is the power difference notable between the G5 and BTR7? Any connectivity issues with either?

Impossible

Nope everything is fine.

I've tried the fiio fd5, empire ears legend x iem's and also the the Dan clark aeon 2 noire headphones.

The btr7 isn't as full sounding as the G5. Overall the G5 is better sounding from a technical perspective. The btr7 doesn't chop off those peaks at the top, although it struggles to hit them due to lack of power.

Again I've tried the same on the k9 pro and also my floor standing speakers (persona 9h) fullyed eq'ed with a 3d mic and Trinnov's studio software.

Illtrick

The G5 is way more powerful and cleaner then the btr7
This is helpful. Literally I've been looking for the portable bluetooth solution for my Noires and these are the two top contenders.

Impossible

The btr7 can not drive the Dan clarks clean.

FiiO is releasing the q7 in a few weeks I think, I'd wait for that.

For me the topping sound is missing the mojo and thats exactly the same with the d90se a90.

This dude is bang on. He uses the Dan clark with the k9 pro ess.
The k9 is very smiler to the m17 transportable. The q7 is supposed to be a smaller, no screen version of the m17. (fingers crossed)

raif71

Major Contributor
You're probably imagining all these differences, and/or your comparisons aren't level matched - it always sounds more dynamic & better when it's louder.
I don't think it's a matter of level matching. I'm sure the volume that he cranked will be quite high to try to notice the difference between devices. I would imagine, try as he might (of course not detrimental to one's hearing) he could not find what he's looking for in the G5.

Labjr

Major Contributor
The btr7 can not drive the Dan clarks clean.

FiiO is releasing the q7 in a few weeks I think, I'd wait for that.

For me the topping sound is missing the mojo and thats exactly the same with the d90se a90.

This dude is bang on. He uses the Dan clark with the k9 pro ess.

The k9 is very smiler to the m17 transportable. The q7 is supposed to be a smaller, no screen version of the m17. (fingers crossed)

Hmm. Nisshinbo volume control IC's? Do they outperfom the DAC's internal volume control? I'd like to see a review with measurements.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Sorry I don't know what that is
NJU72315 digitally controlled volume IC. I hadn't heard of Nisshinbo before. I guess it's the holdings company for Japan Radio Corp (JRC). Was wondering if it's better than the DAC's internal volume control? Although, for preamp function of external inputs, the alternative would be relays.

Top Bottom