• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

March Audio Hypex Ncore Power Amplifiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Hi

Quite a number of forum members were very keen to find out more about the forthcoming March Audio Hypex Ncore power amp range and I promised to post something today. So I have quickly taken some photos. Sorry they arent that good and please excuse the finger marks on the cases. This is going to be brief, I will flesh it out with more details tomorrow.

https://www.marchaudio.net.au/hypex-ncore-power-amplifiers

To summarise what I have posted elsewhere. All performance specs are currently Hypex sourced. Final product performance to soon to be confirmed and/or corrected with data from independent measurements.

Four models will be available:
  • P122 - Stereo 120 watts into 4 ohms
  • P252 - Stereo 250 watts into 4 ohms
  • P502 - Stereo 500 watts into 4 ohms
  • P701 - Mono Block 700 watts into 4 ohm
Balanced XLR input design (compatible with single ended RCA)

As an example, some of the P252 other performance parameters:

THD+N: 0.0015% (thats SINAD of 97dB)
SNR: 121dB
Output Noise: 30uV
Power BW: 20Hz to 35kHz
Gain: 26dB
Current Limit: 17.5 A
Output Z: 1.5 mOhm
Input Z: 47K

The 122,252 and 502 share similar performance but the P701 is a step up again, and I will post more specs later.

EDIT P701 additional performance parameters

THD+N: 0.001% (thats SINAD of 100dB)
SNR: 135dB
Output Noise: 9uV
Power BW: 20Hz to 35kHz
Current Limit: 26 A
Output Z: 1.5 mOhm

All units share the same solid milled anodized aluminium casework . Minimalist in the same style as the DAC1. The power standby button is a flush mounted piezo touch design. No moving parts. I have suffered switches fail on some of my kit in the past.

This is the P252. It will be off to Amir for test and review very soon.

10.jpg

13.jpg

16.jpg

15.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Now the big question people are desperate to know the answer to.......price

OK, There is an introductory discount for a limited period. US$

• P122 - Stereo 120 watts into 4 ohms - $650
  • P252 - Stereo 250 watts into 4 ohms - $800
  • P502 - Stereo 500 watts into 4 ohms - $1000
  • P701 - Mono Block 700 watts into 4 ohm - $900 ea
Please note it will be a few weeks before the amps will be available for sale. Estimating end of January 19.

Last edited:

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice, clean styling! Are those prices in U.S. Dollars or Australian Dollars? (I'm guessing U.S. although you're in Australia, as those prices would be really low if Australian Dollars! :D )

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
:)
I'm glad you chose the "sweet spot" of 250W into 4 ohms to send to @amirm for testing first! I'm very interested to see the results, as it could be a good match for my KEF LS50s :D (Yeah, I'm sure 120W into 4 ohms would be fine, but I like to know there is extra power there, especially since I listen almost exclusively to classical/opera with huge dynamic transients!)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Pretty impressive specs, especially the high SNR. I'd love to see how it compares to the ATI and Benchmark units.

Dogen

Forum Donor
Well done! I very much like the simple aesthetics, and the prices are within reason given the craftsmanship, and the prices of competitive units. It’s sad to realize how few quality speaker amps are out there; most of the attention is on headphones these days. Looking forward to Amir’s measurements.

D

Deleted member 65

Built a pair of Hypex nCore NC400 monoblocks a few years back, now sold. Interested to know if you've done any enhancements vs the standard nCore modules eg similar to the Nord amps.

Dogen

Forum Donor
You are consistent in putting Left/Right on the wrong side :)

I like the design of the cases.

Having the speaker cables cross near the unit cancels out any flux eddies created by perpendicularly aligned positron tunneling. /s

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will a standard XLR cable work with this or does it need an adapter?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It does. They are combo sockets accepting normal XLR and 1/4 jacks.
OK, that is useful. I have seen such sockets in amps before and taken them out consideration because it wasn't clear if they will work with XLR connectors. Sometimes manufacturers shoot themselves in the foot with lack of such information or its obvious to their target customer base and I am just an ignorant outlier. The latter is more likely I would guess.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@March Audio Can you post dimensions? (The "Learn More" link on your website for the amps is not working. Chrome browser on Win10).

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, that is useful. I have seen such sockets in amps before and taken them out consideration because it wasn't clear if they will work with XLR connectors. Sometimes manufacturers shoot themselves in the foot with lack of such information or its obvious to their target customer base and I am just an ignorant outlier. The latter is more likely I would guess.
I agree. They are frequently used in Pro audio world but rarely in consumer and hence lack of awareness. It sure "looks like" they can't accept standard XLR even though they do.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yah, I immediately recognized them, but I have a fair amount of pro audio experience. I would have been happy (probably happier) with Neutrik SpeakOns instead of banana jacks for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom