• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sonos Play 5 vs Genelec 8361A

johnwolf

Pardon me for the ignorance.

I know the two speakers are not at the same level.

However I have both of them on the same wall, playing the same music but I can't barely figure out their differences.

Two Sonos Play 5 + Arc, using Sonos App/AirPlay
Two Genelec 8361A, using computer and RME babyface Pro

They are both on the same living room wall. The living room is about 15x15 with high slanted ceiling.

Please educate me.

dfuller

Major Contributor
The 8361A should go considerably louder and extend quite a bit deeper.

Mario Sanchez

Well, Sonos knows what they're doing when it comes to speakers, and for an average person's living room use (that is to say, at a moderate loudness which neither takes the spotlight of the whole space nor turns one's cochlea into a mush), the headroom difference probably isn't so obvious, and most music don't have *that* much bass content anyways. Have you tried using GLM on the 8361As?
Now, now, if you're interested in selling those Genelecs...

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

However I have both of them on the same wall, playing the same music but I can't barely figure out their differences.

They are both on the same living room wall. The living room is about 15x15 with high slanted ceiling.

Please educate me.

What was it that motivated you to buy a pair of 8361s in the first place?

Soundstage

Please educate me.
Could you please send a picture? thanks

jae

Major Contributor
1661286209520.png

Hmmmm....

jae

Major Contributor
Would love to see your in-room measurements of both

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

Please educate me.
So the 8361 is garbage?

G|force

Forum Donor
I was under the impression that the main reason people buy Sonos is because they only need an AC power connection for each cabinet and users can shoot BT to them making the process of bringing them into their stylized lifestyle environment relatively simple.

Buy two or ten of them and 'fill the space with sound.' Sure. I don't remember anyone suggesting Sonos are world class sound packages.

If you are going to use Genelec Ones, that requires an AC power connection and a signal cable, preferably balanced analog or AES from a suitable source. Used optimally, Ones require ethernet cables run in series then homerun to the GLM box.
And Ones are nearfield, not 'room fillers.'
Apples and oranges IMO.

SuicideSquid

If you put a good speaker in a bad room it'll sound bad.

But also I don't think I really believe that the OP has a pair of 8361s or that they sound substantially similar to Sonos Play speakers, even in a poor room.

jae

Major Contributor
If you put a good speaker in a bad room it'll sound bad.

But also I don't think I really believe that the OP has a pair of 8361s or that they sound substantially similar to Sonos Play speakers, even in a poor room.
Not necessarily. With these controlled directivity and ruler flat speakers like genelec etc., even if you put them in an bad room they will still perform well past a certain frequency.

DMill

If only the Sonos were that good. I wish it were true, but wishing is not gonna make it happen.

Top Bottom