• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ADAM Audio A series 2022

Wardy

Congrats :)
Does it loud enogh to fill up small-medium size room you think? Also wondering the bass response.
I've not tried the volume maxed, I'd need to be in another room I think. When you factor in you can also adjust the gain on the speakers themselves upwards should you want then I'm going with easily.
(Volume is on 15 on the DAC atm and that's plenty for being close by)

I find the speakers very involving it could be the detail which I think is great but it could also be the bass. I certainly don't feel they're lacking.
I might treat myself to an Adam sub if I down the line to pair with them, but I don't think I need it.

Considering their size they're way better than I was expecting, but I'm no expert.

Wardy

Wanted to share some brief (non-objective) thoughts. I've had a pair of A7Vs for about a month and overall was quite impressed by the new 'Pure' profile, which sounds a lot better (i.e. neutral and accurate) than the UNR profile which is meant to emulate the response of A7Xs. I've never owned A7Xs so I can't say exactly how accurate the UNR profile is, but the Pure is truly night and day. They were quite a big upgrade from my JBL LSR 305s which I was using for years to produce and mix music. The tweeters sound very detailed, and the transient response is fantastic. The low mids and bass were also tight and clean.

However, I am very unimpressed with Adam's handling of the A-Control software. The Sonarworks and DSP integration was one of the biggest reasons I bought the monitors since, as a music producer, I need as little latency as possible, especially when live tracking and laying down ideas. Given there's so much latency introduced already by the DAW, my sound card, various VST plugins etc. I didn't want room correction to also play a role. Unfortunately, I felt quite misled by the rollout date of the software. On all dealership listings, there's no indication that the A-Control software was not available for download at the time of purchase. I had to find this out after I registered the monitors, buried in a .pdf in my Adam website profile. Initially this gave 'second half of July' as a release date, but Adam quietly and without any notification to existing owners updated the .pdf on August 2 to say 'September'.

The lack of transparency is honestly pretty shocking. Clearly the DSP integration wasn't ready to be pushed to market, despite being pretty much the major selling point of the new A Series. I'm trying to get a return authorisation now, and I'm considering going with Genelec or Neumann's DSP-enabled options as an alternative.
I was expecting to log in and download it, but I wasn't too upset as I had them on pre order so knew I was an early adopter. I was expecting it to drop this month but I got an email a few days ago to say they'd found a bug and it was delayed while they fix it.

SMAC88

I received the Adam A7V, I have to say it's a big upgrade from the T5V. More clarity, defined and puncher bass, you can easily hear the instruments dept, totally another level of details.

Here a FR for what it worth, my room is terrible in the bass region (need to buy bass traps), indeed the 110hz spike, the drastic drop in the 60/80hz region, and the overall 200/400hz area is coming from my room, I have similar results with the T5V and IK MTM.

BTW I tried with tone generator and isolating the speaker as much as I could I didn't notice any drastic drop in the 1.0/1.2khz area, I guess this series is not affected like the A4V as per Adam response to Amir.

They are set on Pure profile, I checked the UNR as well and it sounded much more muffled and bassy, the Pure profile is more clean and neutral to my ears. Didn't mess up with the other options yet but I like the sound coming from them.

Attachments

• Adam A7V - Profile Pure.jpg
    Adam A7V - Profile Pure.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 265

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That’s an in-room sweep. Which is kind of like the Predicted In Room Response generated by the CEA2034A measurements.

It’s simply too low in resolution to really determine what is going on. In fact most speakers when measured in the same room will look very similar, yet can sound totally different.

It’s better if you measure quasi anechoic, but even then you might completely miss any high Q dips or peaks in the critical mid-band, when the typical resolution is only 100-200Hz.

Only the Klippel Near Field Scanner can do it in one pass, indoors. To get a close equivalent you need to get outdoors, away from walls, which includes getting your speaker some 10 foot above the ground.

If you want to explore more about how to make measurements that are helpful rather than misleading, consider starting with @napilopez’s user guide:

Last edited:

SMAC88

That’s an in-room sweep. Which is kind of like the Predicted In Room Response generated by the CEA2034A measurements.

It’s simply too low in resolution to really determine what is going on. In fact most speakers when measured in the same room will look very similar, yet can sound totally different.

It’s better if you measure quasi anechoic, but even then you might completely miss any high Q dips or peaks in the critical mid-band, when the typical resolution is only 100-200Hz.

Only the Klippel Near Field Scanner can do it in one pass, indoors. To get a close equivalent you need to get outdoors, away from walls, which includes getting your speaker some 10 foot above the ground.

If you want to explore more about how to make measurements that are helpful rather than misleading, consider starting with @napilopez’s user guide:

Yes I'm aware, that's why I reported what those spikes are cos I know my room, indeed it's not a graph that can be taken seriously.

Thank you for the link, didn't know that guide but I'm digging into it right now, cos technically I have the space to perform an outdoor measurement.

ccc118

Wanted to share some brief (non-objective) thoughts. I've had a pair of A7Vs for about a month and overall was quite impressed by the new 'Pure' profile, which sounds a lot better (i.e. neutral and accurate) than the UNR profile which is meant to emulate the response of A7Xs. I've never owned A7Xs so I can't say exactly how accurate the UNR profile is, but the Pure is truly night and day. They were quite a big upgrade from my JBL LSR 305s which I was using for years to produce and mix music. The tweeters sound very detailed, and the transient response is fantastic. The low mids and bass were also tight and clean.

However, I am very unimpressed with Adam's handling of the A-Control software. The Sonarworks and DSP integration was one of the biggest reasons I bought the monitors since, as a music producer, I need as little latency as possible, especially when live tracking and laying down ideas. Given there's so much latency introduced already by the DAW, my sound card, various VST plugins etc. I didn't want room correction to also play a role. Unfortunately, I felt quite misled by the rollout date of the software. On all dealership listings, there's no indication that the A-Control software was not available for download at the time of purchase. I had to find this out after I registered the monitors, buried in a .pdf in my Adam website profile. Initially this gave 'second half of July' as a release date, but Adam quietly and without any notification to existing owners updated the .pdf on August 2 to say 'September'.

The lack of transparency is honestly pretty shocking. Clearly the DSP integration wasn't ready to be pushed to market, despite being pretty much the major selling point of the new A Series. I'm trying to get a return authorisation now, and I'm considering going with Genelec or Neumann's DSP-enabled options as an alternative.
I picked up a pair of these recently and agree with everything you said. I was also disappointed to find out that the software wasn't available after registering them. I was hoping to test everything out while I still had a return window. I also ordered other things to use with them, such as an ethernet switch that I also can no longer return and will just have to hope I can get everything connected properly. I debated whether to send mine back because of the delays with the software, but ended up keeping them because they sound really good.

I think the communication around the software delays could have been a lot better. It seems that they are starting to communicate about it more now and have said they discovered a bug that they are working on fixing.

ccc118

I forgot to mention this but I'm pretty happy overall with the design of the A7v, however the only thing I don't like so far is the position of the on/off switch. I've read some complaints elsewhere of it being on the back, as the A7x had them on the front. That doesn't really bother me, as I'm used to having it on the back with other monitors. I don't like how it's just to the right of the power plug. When reaching around, it feels kind of awkward and hard to find to me. It's not really that big of a deal overall though, and is not something that would prevent me from buying them.

CERN

I'm honestly surprised and very disappointed that Adam hasn't released any frequency charts for the A7V yet and that no real reviews have been done.

ccc118

I just unboxed my A7V, and there is definitely a hiss on the tweeter. Very disappointed and might look to return them
That's surprising. I can't hear noise at all on mine. My laptop is louder. Is this on both of them? Probably best to send them back if you think something's wrong.

ccc118

I'm honestly surprised and very disappointed that Adam hasn't released any frequency charts for the A7V yet and that no real reviews have been done.
Between this and the ongoing delays with the A-control software, it seems like they might have brought them to market before they were really ready. I think they should have waited a little longer to get everything sorted out. Some companies don't publish frequency charts, but a while back they said they would soon for these but still haven't.

SMAC88

I just unboxed my A7V, and there is definitely a hiss on the tweeter. Very disappointed and might look to return them
I set my volume to halfway between -12 and 0db (9 o'clock) and I can't hear any hiss, if I set to 0db the hiss is audible only 5to10 cm far away. To really hear the hiss at 30cm the volume has to be set to +12db which is insanely loud for my room, the speaker is already loud at -6db. If yours make noise at lower volume, it's better to send it back.

CERN

Between this and the ongoing delays with the A-control software, it seems like they might have brought them to market before they were really ready. I think they should have waited a little longer to get everything sorted out. Some companies don't publish frequency charts, but a while back they said they would soon for these but still haven't.
Yeah "See what you hear, Measurements coming soon" has been up there for many months. I wonder what they are afraid of. Maybe they should just take that down at this point. I've been holding off on getting monitors to see the frequency charts for the A7V. I should probably just get a pair of KH 120s and be done with it. I highly doubt the A7Vs will be as flat as them anyway but I would like a bit more low end than the KH 120s have to offer. A sub is out of the question for my space.

Last edited:
Top Bottom