• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir Buys a New Audio Precision Analyzer (APx555)!!!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Virtins Multi Instrument is the best I have found.

It looks to be a very comprehensive software suite at a low price.

My issue is the front end. I know Jan Diddens scaler for other software or the dedicated probe (max +/-24v) helps, but I'm used to at least 100V RMS on my AudioLab unit. I'm always on the end of high powered amplifiers and it seems only a few standalone units (AP/R&S/Panasonic/SR-1 etc) will do that.

I'm getting a QA-401 very soon (what happened to yours- did you sell it?), but it's main advantage is price and differential inputs (for BTL amps etc), but one would still need a x10 divider for it too. I'm also concerned about the rising noise floor at HF from the AK ADC. You found that to be an issue?

Even Visual Analzyer with <2V sources is a nice program, but I'm sure there's a bug in the THD+N computations as they are often below THD alone with no weighting.

In the meantime, I just use my old-skool gear Leader LDM-171 for up to 100VRMS THD+N measurements- it's indestructible.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
In the meantime, I just use my old-skool gear Leader LDM-171 for up to 100VRMS THD+N measurements- it's indestructible.

Place I worked had one of those, and another a Nakamichi analyzer. At school I used the old HP units (339?) AP was not around until later, past my time "in the biz", so I have not really used one.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It looks to be a very comprehensive software suite at a low price.

My issue is the front end. I know Jan Diddens scaler for other software or the dedicated probe (max +/-24v) helps, but I'm used to at least 100V RMS on my AudioLab unit. I'm always on the end of high powered amplifiers and it seems only a few standalone units (AP/R&S/Panasonic/SR-1 etc) will do that.

I'm getting a QA-401 very soon (what happened to yours- did you sell it?), but it's main advantage is price and differential inputs (for BTL amps etc), but one would still need a x10 divider for it too. I'm also concerned about the rising noise floor at HF from the AK ADC. You found that to be an issue?

Even Visual Analzyer with <2V sources is a nice program, but I'm sure there's a bug in the THD+N computations as they are often below THD alone with no weighting.

Yes I sold the QA401. At signal levels below about -20 dBFS the noise floor was good, maybe -150dbFS with 32k FFT, but as you approach 0dBFS it would rise to around -125 dbFS. It really depends what you are doing whether this is an issue for you, but I want to look closely at the low level spuria going on. My motu will manage this. The distortion would be obscured with the 401.

Capture3.PNG

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Good points. What have you got in front of the Motu for scaling?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
If it were a Toslink cable, the APx555 can do really neat analysis on it like demodulating it and then performing traditional audio measurements on it !

That is extremely cool.

Dana reed

I'm getting a QA-401 very soon (what happened to yours- did you sell it?), but it's main advantage is price and differential inputs
That's one thing I wonder about with those differential input, where can you get adapter cables to convert XLR to differential BNC? I saw something like this for a Keysight analyzer
http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5991-0435EN.pdf
Also, how do you connect single ended RCA outputs to the differential BNC? Do you just connect to one, or do you split, connecting to the + and -?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
That's one thing I wonder about with those differential input, where can you get adapter cables to convert XLR to differential BNC? I saw something like this for a Keysight analyzer
http://literature.cdn.keysight.com/litweb/pdf/5991-0435EN.pdf
Also, how do you connect single ended RCA outputs to the differential BNC? Do you just connect to one, or do you split, connecting to the + and -?
You can connect to one but that's then single ended input. You will need to make your own cable to perform diff input with as you rightly say + and - to the respective BNC.

miero

This IMHO applies also to DAC testing module:
B Series APx555 High-Performance Audio Analyzer
The arrival of the B Series APx555 audio analyzer brings several enhancements to the analog high-performance sine generator that will have broad appeal to developers of high-performance audio devices such as compressors, limiters, amplifiers, codecs and digital signal processors. This enhanced analog generator (EAG)—standard with B Series APx555 analyzers and available as an upgrade for Legacy APx555 systems—provides several improvements in its low distortion sine generator and high-precision sine analyzer, including improved sine generator frequency stability with an accuracy of <30 ppm. The system can now also generate low-distortion analog sine burst signals from 5 Hz to 100 kHz and allows users to independently invert the signal polarity of balanced channel outputs. Finally, the B Series APx555 has lower system residual distortion, with THD+N improvement above 50 kHz (−2 dB) and THD improvement above 5 kHz (varying from −2 to −5 dB).

At least there is also a new major software update 5.0 for APx500:
- https://www.ap.com/news/apx-version5-0-available/

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Seems like they will be charging for software updates from here on. Fine for big companies, bad for little guys like me.

Not happy....

I think they are also trying to address the secondhand market in analyzers too and perhaps derive some income from it?

Do I read it correctly in that there will be an annual charge going forward?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do I read it correctly in that there will be an annual charge going forward?
That's my read. After paying $28,000, you would need to pay to have software upgrades for it. If the software is priced anything like their hardware, that would seriously undermine users like me.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom