• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL D-6 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 10 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 90 30.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 188 64.4%

• Total voters

ampguy

When will the current firmware be updated?

The clicking issue is a problem that occurs across users of D-6. I assume that you received the report about this problem before, but there is no notification about when it will be updated.

Tell us your plan, please.
For Roon users, many DACs click some loudly, others only when ears are up to speaker. Roon has an option to put in a resync delay from like 50ms to 1 sec between tracks that often alleviates this. Do any Roon users have clicks when tracks in a playlist or album changes change resolution?

manudrz

Looks like cardboard yes, but in plastic...
An other picture, sorry for the quality but not very good at this :facepalm:

Attachments

• DSC00153.JPG
    DSC00153.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 739

Artzox

For Roon users, many DACs click some loudly, others only when ears are up to speaker. Roon has an option to put in a resync delay from like 50ms to 1 sec between tracks that often alleviates this. Do any Roon users have clicks when tracks in a playlist or album changes change resolution?
I have tried using the resync but regardless of the delay there is really no difference.

Saponetto

Looks like cardboard yes, but in plastic...
An other picture, sorry for the quality but not very good at this :facepalm:
It looks quite similar on conductive-vapoured poly sheet I found within some ABB power modules feeding PLCs.
Don't know if it's consumer available, honestly.

ampguy

Does anyone know if the RCA outs are active and controlled by the DAC volume while balanced TRS are also being used? Curious, because if I move this around to certain rooms, having a sub line out would be useful. I don't need any filtering or stereo to mono or anything, just an RCA (or two) line level, that adjusts with the DAC volume would check off this box.

Does anyone know if the RCA outs are active and controlled by the DAC volume while balanced TRS are also being used? Curious, because if I move this around to certain rooms, having a sub line out would be useful. I don't need any filtering or stereo to mono or anything, just an RCA (or two) line level, that adjusts with the DAC volume would check off this box.
Yes, the RCA and TRS work at the same time. It's one of the coolest features, IMHO. I mentioned it in this other post.

ampguy

Yes, the RCA and TRS work at the same time. It's one of the coolest features, IMHO. I mentioned it in this other post.

Thanks! I'm going to give this DAC a try, I like AKM (haven't heard new ones though), I like bal and unbalanced, I like remote, I like the specs. I don't use bluetooth, so I hope that's disabled when not being used.

Hey guys...

Would you recommend this over the SU-6? I really want this for the volume knob on the front which the SU-6 doesnt have. I also wont be using the balanced outputs, only the RCAs either to monitors or a headphone amp. I know the SU-6 measures "better" when comparing the RCA outputs, but are these differences negligible?

Thanks!

conuss

Actually, it does! I always turn bluetooth off on my phones, laptops, and PC's. Makes me feel great!
Well, turn off BT for yourself where it really turns off and get high. And in this case, what is it expressed in? In your hope of disconnecting? Express yourself more clearly. Or you really disconnect or express hope for disconnection. So what are you doing?

carlcamper

carlcamper

Did they offer an exchange for you? Swap it for another unit?

That way they can also test your unit ?
Yes they did, but Im not willing to send it back , since I can use Toslink as a workaround

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yes they did, but Im not willing to send it back , since I can use Toslink as a workaround
Ok noted.

A good workaround obviously but the downside is SMSL engineers don't get to look at it and potentially fix

carlcamper

Ok noted.

A good workaround obviously but the downside is SMSL engineers don't get to look at it and potentially fix
There are others in this thread engaged with them as well, hopefully a software fix will eventually come

pjoh

Hello, I'm new in the forum so please be gentle if I make some mistakes :)

Hi everyone, I see this review comment on Shenzhen Audio D-6 website.

Any comment from @SMSL-Mandy or @SHENZHENAUDIO ?

Has it been fixed?

View attachment 225490

USB Input:
I got rid of the mentioned clicking noises :)
except clicks when the sample rate changes (which is normal as I understood)
1) Download and install XMOS Driver from SMSL Site (obviously choose Dac D-6) : https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/downlist/id/11.html
2) Follow these Instructions to active "Streaming:Always On": https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...os-driver-settings-for-no-cutoff-delay.25838/
The instructions are for another driver but its 100% identical for SMSL Driver
3) Activate "Streaming:Always On" in Driver Control Panel
4) Enjoy D-6 without clicks and/or delay

Toslink/Optical Input:
Slight pop noise at the beginning of each song/sound (e.g. Windows Explorer sound when you change directory).

Bluetooth Input:
Delay of like 1s when starting a song and no sound was playing for ~4-5s, otherwise no delay at all. So I guess its the same "problem" as with the USB input and streaming not always on. I checked the developer Bluetooth settings on my android phone but that option isn't available (right away). So far, I did not put any more energy in this problem, since it does not really bother me.
I'm using LDAC codec with 32bit/96kHz since it should be the best option quality wise?! (LDAC, aptx HD, aptx, AAC and SBC available)

I'm 100% satisfied with this dac now :)
- superb sound quality overall (a lot better than my old M-Audio M-Track Hub and also a lot higher level/volume)
- no clicking noises with USB input (main input for me)
- really good sound quality and connection stability (even through walls) with bluetooth

Btw, why are the sound engineers of smsl not able to solve it, when it was obvious for me that the output is turned of after like 4s of no audio (which causes the clicks) and I just searched for a solution....

Top Bottom