• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 DAC FS - AKM Versus ESS Measurements (DAC, Preamp & Headamp)

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
About your little divergence with @MC_RME :

I don't know for the RME ADI-2 DAC fs, but the RME ADI-2 Pro fs R performs up to the spec for THD+N at 32 ohm:
(Measured with RME ADI-2 Pro fs R 24dBu Mono mode as ADC, E1DA load board, software is Virtins Multi Instrument 3.9.6.1)

Specs says THD+N at 18dBu = -107dB, and I measured almost -110dB
6.0616 Vrms (17.9dBu) at 32.2 Ohm = 1.14W (Unbalanced)

I can push to -3.2dBFS in High Power mode with 32.2 ohm load before saturation.
That's a clean 1.37W. (Spec says 1.5W)

At -7dB, I get the 109dB SINAD @MC_RME is claiming:

At 300.3 Ohm, I can push it to max in Hi Power mode, for a voltage that reaches almost the promised 10V (22dBu) and 0.312W:

Thanks @Rja4000 for your measurements as well! I was able to clear this with @VintageFlanker already, by replicating his measurement using the Cosmos ADC. A simple grounding issue that made non-harmonics and a rising bass noise floor show up. No worries...

txbdan

Man, the manual for this thing is a sales pitch in itself. Talk about thorough. These are also on sale now for $999...

Do these work well with M1/M2 Macs? I have a MOTU M4 now and it's always worked well, although sometimes I have to cycle power a few times to get music to come out of it. Seems worse with recent OSX updates.

BR52

For my buying decision, it's necessary to see the Ess-Hump has been avoided in the RME ADI-2 FS Version2 or as low as possible. RME with their high skills (measurement capabiltys) can easily show.
Great job @VintageFlanker thanks a lott.

Music1969

Major Contributor
For my buying decision, it's necessary to see the Ess-Hump has been avoided in the RME ADI-2 FS Version2 or as low as possible. RME with their high skills (measurement capabiltys) can easily show.
Great job @VintageFlanker thanks a lott.
How can you say ESS hump is missing or low?

See this earlier post #44

The best thing would be for @MC_RME to show APx555 measurement

Not using Cosmos ADC which has ESS hump itself

BR52

How can you say ESS hump is missing or low?

See this earlier post #44

The best thing would be for @MC_RME to show APx555 measurement

You are absolutely right. For my buying decision, it would be essential to see that's going on with the Hump. I can see some manufacturers could find a solution, more or less. Others not. Will see RME is willing to show their Ap-X data. I didn't say is missing or low. Sorry, my English is bad and might be not straight enough for some readers.

Last edited:

Atanasi

Forum Donor
It is possible to amplify the signal of the device-under-test such that the level at Cosmos ADC doesn't trigger the hump, isn't it? For example, if we want to check if the device-under-test exhibits the hump at -20 dBFS, we amplify the signal to about 0 dBFS, where Cosmos ADC doesn't have the hump.

Music1969

Major Contributor
You are absolutely right. For my buying decision, it would be essential to see that's going on with the Hump. I can see some manufacturers could find a solution, more or less. Others not. Will see RME is willing to show their Ap-X data. I didn't say is missing or low. Sorry, my English is bad and might be not straight enough for some readers.
Kein Problem !
Alles ist klar ;-)

(I've reached the limits of my German)

gvl

Major Contributor
Isn’t the hump specific to newer ESS chips? The RME DAC uses an older ESSc chip iirc. I hope RME got it right after all the talk about the hump on this forum which they read.

BR52

Isn’t the hump specific to newer ESS chips? The RME DAC uses an older ESSc chip iirc. I hope RME got it right after all the talk about the hump on this forum which they read.
No it’s an actual DAC what show’s in some implementation a big hump. I hope it as well.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There will be no ADI-2 DAC replacement for now, as @MC_RME repeated a million times.

Yet, there is an ADI-2/4 PRO SE coming.
And a linear power supply. I'm sure it will be well engineered, but I do feel disappointed that RME gave into temptation on this, is nothing sacred?:rolleyes:

RME ADI-2_4 Pro SE and DPS-2 Linear Power Supply

Sokel

Master Contributor
And a linear power supply. I'm sure it will be well engineered, but I do feel disappointed that RME gave into temptation on this, is nothing sacred?:rolleyes:

RME ADI-2_4 Pro SE and DPS-2 Linear Power Supply

It doesn't matter to me if it's SMPS or Linear,triangular or nuclear.
If it's good for RME it's good enough for me.

WHEN???

Top Bottom