• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec options for dedicated home theater.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Remember that the THX rule is 3 identical front speakers, meaning that three 8330 is probably better than two 8341 with one 8330 center as front speakers.

Ofcorse three 8341 is even better .

radio3

Yes I am definitely using 8341 for all LCR. The question is whether or not 8320s might be enough for sides and rears, given a distance of say 1.5-2m.

mkt

Since 1234A were mentioned in this thread ... (attention @Pearljam5000 )
"Studio A has the most powerful Genelec Dolby Atmos system in the United States to date and includes a horizontal array consisting of seven soffit-mounted 1234A Smart Active Monitors™ for L-C-R and surrounds, four 8351B monitors above the mix position acting as the overhead array, and two 7382A subwoofers handling bass management as well as the LFE."
1660869053186.png

nerdoldnerdith

"Studio A has the most powerful Genelec Dolby Atmos system in the United States to date and includes a horizontal array consisting of seven soffit-mounted 1234A Smart Active Monitors™ for L-C-R and surrounds, four 8351B monitors above the mix position acting as the overhead array, and two 7382A subwoofers handling bass management as well as the LFE."
1660869053186.png
Aren't those fronts mounted a little high?

Reactions: mkt

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
1660869053186.png
Very cool thanks :cool:

Reactions: mkt

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1660869053186.png
I must smile when I see they also keep those damn NS-10 there too. :D

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
the sound characteristics were very much to my liking, with one exception. I felt everything sounded a bit thin on the bottom(maybe 200+/- hz on down.
My 2c, this seems more likely to be a matter of taste and familiarity with that system than it is to be the system’s capabilities in that frequency range.

So you’re not going to solve this with higher output speakers because they will sound the same if calibrated to a similar target response. The good thing is you can calibrate and EQ the system to taste even after it’s built.

How have things progressed on room design? I’m fairly confident the end result will depend much more highly on the room design and acoustics than your choice between 8361, 8351, 1234A, W371…. which should all sound nearly identical if not overdriven. The design of the room should perhaps dictate the speaker selection rather than the other way around.

PabloT

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm currently running a home theater setup, and I am considering an upgrade to build an Atmos system. I would greatly appreciate your expert opinions on this matter.

Current Setup:​

• Sources: Apple TV, Blu-ray
  • Signal Path: HDMI Sources → HDMI switcher → Audiopraise Vanity Pro HDMI extractor → 9301a
  • Speakers:
    • 5x Genelec 8351b
    • 2x Genelec w371a
  • Subwoofers:
    • 2x Genelec 7380a

Proposed Upgrade:​

I'm considering adding the Storm Audio ISP Evo to my setup for the following reasons:

• Digital Outputs: It offers digital outputs which would be a great fit for my existing setup.
  • Atmos Compatibility: It supports Atmos, which is the main reason for my upgrade.
  • Dirac Art: My room acoustics are ok but far from perfect, and the Dirac Art feature caught my eye.
  • Multi-Sub Optimization: I've heard it can optimize multiple subs better than other solutions on the market.

Questions:​

1. Dirac on top of GLM: I'm currently using Genelec Loudspeaker Manager (GLM) for room calibration. Would running Dirac on top of GLM be advisable or would it create conflicts?
  2. Other Considerations: Are there any other factors I should consider before making this upgrade? Perhaps compatibility issues or something else I haven't thought of?
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this. Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well. I'm currently running a home theater setup, and I am considering an upgrade to build an Atmos system. I would greatly appreciate your expert opinions on this matter.

Current Setup:​

• Sources: Apple TV, Blu-ray
  • Signal Path: HDMI Sources → HDMI switcher → Audiopraise Vanity Pro HDMI extractor → 9301a
  • Speakers:
    • 5x Genelec 8351b
    • 2x Genelec w371a
  • Subwoofers:
    • 2x Genelec 7380a

Proposed Upgrade:​

I'm considering adding the Storm Audio ISP Evo to my setup for the following reasons:

• Digital Outputs: It offers digital outputs which would be a great fit for my existing setup.
  • Atmos Compatibility: It supports Atmos, which is the main reason for my upgrade.
  • Dirac Art: My room acoustics are ok but far from perfect, and the Dirac Art feature caught my eye.
  • Multi-Sub Optimization: I've heard it can optimize multiple subs better than other solutions on the market.

Questions:​

1. Dirac on top of GLM: I'm currently using Genelec Loudspeaker Manager (GLM) for room calibration. Would running Dirac on top of GLM be advisable or would it create conflicts?
  2. Other Considerations: Are there any other factors I should consider before making this upgrade? Perhaps compatibility issues or something else I haven't thought of?
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this. Thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

Your room acoustics are "OK" - can you elaborate?

What are the issues you're trying to solve?

You mentioned upgrading to Atmos, will you be adding more speakers?

PabloT

Your room acoustics are "OK" - can you elaborate?

What are the issues you're trying to solve?

You mentioned upgrading to Atmos, will you be adding more speakers?
Room Acoustics
My room acoustics are decent but not optimal. I've installed some acoustic panels to improve the sound quality. However, I'm not an acoustics expert, so I can't provide a detailed analysis. I've attached my GLM report for those interested in the specifics.

Future Plans and Dirac ART
I do have plans to build a dedicated room for my home theater, but that's a long-term project that could take a couple of years. In the interim, I was considering Dirac ART as a way to further optimize the room acoustics.

Current Issues
Regarding the current setup, I've been experiencing random speaker dropouts. I'm in touch with Audiopraise, the makers of the Vanity Pro unit. They've acknowledged the issue and have been very responsive, but as of now, the issue remains unresolved.

Upgrading to Atmos
Yes, I'm planning to add more speakers to the setup for Atmos. Specifically, I'm considering adding 4x Genelec 8341A to create a 5.2.4.

Attachments

• Genelec GRADE Report 2023-10-11.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 41
OP
X

Xander33

Any update from the OP @Xander33 ?

Sorry for the lack of update.... I got analysis paralysis and moved on to other things for the last year. Got my pool and outdoor setup all built and broken in, few updates in other areas of the house etc. I'm not getting back into the swing of the HT will start moving forward in the near future. I have time again to audition a number of speakers to see what I like best. I'm going to start that process again very soon. What I do think at this point is that for me, full range capable LCR and possibly even surrounds will be the best option and mate to subs like the HS24 or Harbottle 24 etc, for the best overall marriage, rather than layering bass systems with sat speakers that have strict cutoffs. Gennies are still on the table, as are Procella, Ascendo, Legacy, Alcons and a couple others. They couldn't be any more different than each other, but I'm still trying to find my preference....amts, coax, constrolled directivity, etc. Of course room design will have a say in what is selected, but if I fall in love with an amt based solution I'll work around that and so on with the other options.

Top Bottom