• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8331a vs KEF R3

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This link contains accurate data on monitor design parameters:

The SPL is impacted as you move away but I don't know many people who listen at reference levels so that's entirely a personal preference.
It would be really disappointing to spend that much money and end up with something that can’t reach reference levels.

This is not a purchase someone makes every couple of weeks.

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It would be really disappointing to spend that much money and end up with something that can’t reach reference levels.

I would say we largely agree which is why using accurate data is important pre purchase. I would personally prefer to have improved sound quality over volume if budget was the key constraint however.

Here is another good bit of info on loudness: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ference-sound-pressure-level-flowchart.11069/

OP
L

Would you say then, that 8331a's are not worth their price tag?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you say then, that 8331a's are not worth their price tag?

They are really a very specialized thing, for the best possible SQ on a small desk.

I really wanted a pair of the Ones myself, but couldn't really justify the price of the larger models I would need for my oversized desk so I went with a pair of R3s.

A lot of this also depends on the maximum SPL you want to achieve. Assuming you want ocassional reference level peaks, if you're going to be listening at 1/2 or 3/4 of a meter then the 8331's are probably the best thing available. If you'll be farther out then you'll need to shell out for a larger "One" or go for the R3

OP
L
I've pretty much set to go with a pair of Genelec 8330a's, the Kef are desirable but really are far too much for my main listening room as someone who loves tweaking things the passive route would be a good way to go - when I have a larger listening space regularly avaliable. I just couldn't pass up the smart function features of the genelec's, the 8331a could be awesome but they are £3k..., albeit the perfect desk speakers im sure. The cost of the 8330a's give the comfortable room for the glm kit, acoustic treatment, and perhaps an additional sub in future. The One's/ KEF R3's will have to wait at least until I have a more suitable listening space.

None of my local dealers seem to offer a demo pair to take home, so I will attempt to hear them for myself down at demo shop in a week before I hit buy

G|force

Forum Donor
When the 8331 arrives and you start listening to things all over again, you will have that warm satisfied feeling.
Then I come over with my 8341 and you say oh crap!
Then I return home and my neighbor brings over his 8351 and I say oh crap! ;-)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
When the 8331 arrives and you start listening to things all over again, you will have that warm satisfied feeling.
Then I come over with my 8341 and you say oh crap!
Then I return home and my neighbor brings over his 8351 and I say oh crap! ;-)
And then you demo the 8361A... ;)

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And then you demo the 8361A... ;)

Always a bigger fish... Genelec Experience Center in London, the Atmos demo was an orchestral remix of LL's Knock You Out. And yes, the W's are as good as you imagine but still not worth the $ unless you've officially graduated to "F-U money" territory. Not pictured - dual 7382's IIRC

Attachments

• 20220520_123939.jpg
    20220520_123939.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 327

napfkuchen

A lot of this also depends on the maximum SPL you want to achieve. Assuming you want ocassional reference level peaks, if you're going to be listening at 1/2 or 3/4 of a meter then the 8331's are probably the best thing available. If you'll be farther out then you'll need to shell out for a larger "One" or go for the R3
Of course the 8331As are clearly limited in their max SPL due to less powerful amps and smaller LF-drivers but that's bit of a stretch. Personally I am using them at a listening distance of 1,5m to 2m. GLM volume is set between -50 and -40 db which results in max 95 dBSPL at the listening position.

MrSoul4470

You'll soon have to use your ear trumpets permanently if you always listen to music at 95dB.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Depends on content, but the dynamic range may not be enough. Sure, it´s a fringe case that will matter in not so many cases (and depending on volume, probably never), but it´s a limitation. In a not too big environment, it´s not an issue at all.

Personally, I´d not worry a single miligram about it.

MrSoul4470

I have the 8331 and use them in nearfield. I've never had the feeling that they are seriously SPL limited.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Jut to throw another option - for your budget in Aus you could get a pair of Neumann kh310 and still have AU$1k left over for a sub.

MrSoul4470

Had KH 120 once and had ordered KH 310. I compared them and actually liked the KH 120 better. They sounded 99% the same in nearfield at reasonable volumes. Still prefered the KH 120 by 1%.

Top Bottom