• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ATC speakers / Monitors

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I totally get where you are coming from, but I don't really have the measurement skills or time to do it properly, and of course spinorama is not possible on a soffit mount :) I can easily look at and understand measurements, but I have no experience with extensive measuring. I have some initial REW files from earlier stages of the build done by the room designer - I don't mind sharing those. But they were the foundation of some of the later treatment so maybe not of much use. I will see what I can dig up, and maybe start looking into how I could do my own measurements. I have a calibrated microphone, but I guess it would at least take some tools measure the right angles etc.

Free-standing ATC monitor in a heavily treated room:

1660764296292.png

Seems like the passive crossover network needs some reworking on this set. One would never know unless measurements/inspections are performed regularly.

Torbachkristensen

Free-standing ATC monitor in a heavily treated room:

View attachment 224981

Seems like the passive crossover network needs some reworking on this set. One would never know unless measurements/inspections are performed regularly.
Something looks off, that huge dip between 2.5 to 5k doesn’t make any sense, when you hear a pair of ATC. If anything they are slightly forward in that area - looks like it could have been measured too low on the vertical axis.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Something looks off, that huge dip between 2.5 to 5k doesn’t make any sense, when you hear a pair of ATC. If anything they are slightly forward in that area.

They were a second-hand bought "vintage" set, I believe. But the owners seem to think they sound "neutral". Hmmmn...

Torbachkristensen

Well in that room they are certainly not very trustworthy - they must have been very poorly implemented to get to that kind if response. Then again, I would personally never choose a pair of humongous freestanding speakers in a room like that, they are asking for trouble hahaha. There are things on the walls, but it doesnt really tell us much about the room - except that it has definitely not been design to compliment the speakers.

Are they Passive or Active versions in this video?

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Well in that room they are certainly not very trustworthy - they must have been very poorly implemented to get to that kind if response. Then again, I would personally never choose a pair of humongous freestanding speakers in a room like that, they are asking for trouble hahaha. There are things on the walls, but it doesnt really tell us much about the room - except that it has definitely not been design to compliment the speakers.

Are they Passive or Active versions in this video?

It's been a while so I cannot recall for sure, but they do have some videos on how the room was constructed.

czt

Lots of posts but no real results so far. Still waiting for measurements, why ATCs is so flawless.
"There are two different types of people in the world, those who want to know, and those who want to believe."

Torbachkristensen

You just go ahead and measure. There are two different types of people in this world, those who do nothing but complain and those who have to listen to the it.

czt

You just go ahead and measure. There are two different types of people in this world, those who do nothing but complain and those who have to listen to the it.
Sorry, but without reliable measurements I'm unable to begin to think about considering the possibility of buying any ATC.

Grotti

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Silent reader here: worked myself through 54 pages of this thread and with no result. All I ask for before moving on are some measurements... So please, @Torbachkristensen, If your time allows, show us some REW graphs as a base to carry on. Otherwise this thread leads us nowhere....

goat76

Major Contributor
Lots of posts but no real results so far. Still waiting for measurements, why ATCs is so flawless.
"There are two different types of people in the world, those who want to know, and those who want to believe."
Aren't you making up your own saga here, did Torbachkristensen even say anything about flawless speakers or anything about how they measure?

He simply has described he subjectively prefers the ATCs over some other speakers he tried, and you and some others here are saying he must prove why he does that with measurements. Did I miss something here? :)

No, I suggest you listen to the speakers yourself, and if you find them sounding "flawless" you can figure out why they do it by yourself. If not, I simply suggest you just don't bother with them.

goat76

Major Contributor
Silent reader here: worked myself through 54 pages of this thread and with no result. All I ask for before moving on are some measurements... So please, @Torbachkristensen, If your time allows, show us some REW graphs as a base to carry on. Otherwise this thread leads us nowhere....
I think this thread is about ATC speakers in general, but still, you have been waiting for all those pages for his measurements?

Oh, by the way, if he measures the speakers and you don't think the result is good enough, does that mean Torbachkristensen didn't prefer the ATCs over the other speakers after all? He must have been lying. :)

Last edited:

Torbachkristensen

I found some of the first measurements we did - clearly you can see there's a target curve, but since this was prior to any diffusion and with a lot of absorption, above 10Khz is clearly overdampened. This was also prior to final fine-tuning of bass traps and sub-crossover, but close to the end result. This is L+R LP measurement. This is ATC110 crossed over to the Seaton F18 18" subs, crossover at 30hz if I remember correctly. No EQ on the 110, but a fair amount of EQ (linkwitz transform + some tweaks) on the F18's, since I bought them passive, and had to create my own filter and curve.

Room First Measurement.jpg

Torbachkristensen

Here you can see without hpf on ATC110 (orange), which I actually ended up with, but turning down the F18's a few db, since it felt more punchy and integrated better with just the natural rolloff of the 110's, but as can be seen sub frequencies where a little too hot.

Room First Measurement NO XOVER.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
OK here's a question :
What are ATC drivers made from?
Never seen anything mentioned about the materials

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Here you can see without hpf on ATC110 (orange), which I actually ended up with, but turning down the F18's a few db, since it felt more punchy and integrated better with just the natural rolloff of the 110's.

View attachment 225008

I wasn't really asking for measurements, but they're appreciated. Apart from the usually unavoidable desk/console induced boundary bump/dip, at least nothing looks amiss.

Torbachkristensen

I wasn't really asking for measurements, but they're appreciated. Apart from the usually unavoidable desk/console induced boundary bump/dip, at least nothing looks amiss.
No but others did, and I tried to dig up what I could find :) To be honest I am surprised how well behaved this looks for in-room LP measurements, it is actually better than I had expected. Some of the issues have been addressed (mainly sub and HF decay time issues, see waterfall plot), with basstraps and diffusors, some stuff could maybe be alleviated with minor EQ but would demand a new round of up to date measurements. I am sure someone will chime in and call it all terrible.

Room First Measurement WATERFALL.jpg

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
OK here's a question :
What are ATC drivers made from?
Never seen anything mentioned about the materials
Doped fabric (tweeter, midrange )and paper composite (woofers). Their reasoning is that their internal damping is high.

Last edited:
Top Bottom