• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quick and Dirty way to do a subwoofer crossover?

timiark

So, my question is actually mainly about how APO plugins are triggerred in windows? Is it like automatically triggerred whenever a audio track is played to a certain device or it requires the device to be the default device. I am planning to enable APO-based calibration simultaneously on two audio output of my PC so that I could do a sub crossover without buying extra hardwares.

My setup is two Genelec G Three and a small subwoofer called Eartherquake P63 (crappy quality and crossover doesn't roll off quickly). I currently have a topping EX5 act as pre-amp for my Genelec's as well as the sub (using the XLR and RCA pre-amp out at the same time). The problem is that I cannot manage the crossover because the speakers and sub is using the same signal source from EX5. So I am trying to use my PC's realtek output as a independent signal source for my sub and apply independent APO effects to this channel to achieve crossover management.

I am aware that hardware like MiniDSP 2x4 HD or MiniDSP Flex could do this job much better, still, I prefer some dirty ways to avoid keeping spending on this while I am trying to sell the sub for good. I am also aware that streaming audio to two device can have timing issues (maybe within 20ms or so), but it should be largely correctable using Equalizer APO's delay function.

So far, I had tried voicemeeter and virtual audio cable. The main problem is that I cannot get the APO effect work whenever I use those software to stream audios to my devices instead of using them as the main device. Does anyone know how to correctly trigger APO plugins? Or, generally, how to enable the APO effects on multiple output devices simultaneously? This is a interesting question to me and I cannot find an existing answer on this anywhere.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm confused... Why not just use some Y jacks and let the Sub cross at 65 or 70 - you might get a small hole in that range as the Genelecs drop off pretty fast after 70... or you might not. Its a very small sub... you might be expecting too much below 50.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
So, my question is actually mainly about how APO plugins are triggerred in windows? Is it like automatically triggerred whenever a audio track is played to a certain device or it requires the device to be the default device. I am planning to enable APO-based calibration simultaneously on two audio output of my PC so that I could do a sub crossover without buying extra hardwares.
APO is always on. You can select devices to run operations on, so you can do one thing with DAC A and another with DAC B.

However, you cannot copy audio between devices. You need a single multichannel device if you want to do crossovers.

Top Bottom