• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The Truth About Vinyl Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimi Floyd

With a bit of poetic license:

a - while one CD is playing, which one between 1) and 2) is more delightful to browse for the next one ?
b - which CD do you contemplate with a proud smile ?
c - which CD tells your guests you are a person with very good taste and discrimination ?
d - which CD has grown with you since you started listening to music ? (boomers only)
e - which CD has stood the test of time ?
f - which CD will last forever ?
g - which CD makes you remember when and where you added an item to your collection ?
h - which CD has an objective value besides the subjective one ?
i - which one sounds better ?

I could go on and on ...
I have that covered too

CDs.jpg

Digicile

Alternatively I can pass the iPad around and let guests explore the artist, collaborating musicians and composer with Roon. It’s just a digital album sleeve :)

Not the same experience and I think you know that. Besides, I always am passing around a half dozen or more album sleeves at the same time. Am I supposed to buy half a dozen iPads? That's nonsense and I think you can see why. They might as well all be staring at their phones. Perhaps you have very different social gatherings or friends who would rather isolate themselves rather than enjoy something shared. Either way enjoy your Rune or whatever it is. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To me the "truth" is LPs measure "orders of magnitude worse" in every way compared to digital but the real world differences are subtle.
On this site, where so many are putting so much emphasis on measurements, just knowing lp’s do not measure as well is enough to make them stop listening, same objection, if not fanatisme, toward some other measurements, lead them to ignore some gears that are perfectly adequate to enjoy music on a very high level.
Everything black and white, no room for appreciation. In my high fidelity world, LP sound great, digital files sound great, music sound great. Dedicated room with everything positioned to optimize stereo reproduction from a single seat is king.
One thing I know is true to me, I can concentrate on listening to music easier on records from my TT than listening to digital files, I do not why, can’t explain it, but I can certainly enjoy it.
So to all that have dropped TT along the way, all I have to say is, I hope you still have the same passion for the hobby and that you still enjoy intensely listening to music for many years to come.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've come to loathe most physical formats.

CDs...couldn't wait to get rid of them.

I'm a home theater nut as well, and during the DVD and initial Blu Ray phase had built up a very large physical collection of movies. I used to really like owning the physical copies. But now that streaming has made things more convenient I find the space taken up by my movies more burdensome than anything else. Since the blu ray boxes took up more room I'd long since put the movies in to collector's sleeves which sit on plastic trays so I can flip through them. I still have to store the damned things and I find flipping through them not terribly enticing and the damned plastic trays...like CD covers...have a tendency to snap and fall apart (as they did last night).

I'd love to get rid of all the movies, except a number still aren't available on streaming.

I still love the physical/aesthetics of my record collection. Though I can see why someone would have the same reaction to the "bother" of physical records and reject those as well for the convenience (and sound quality) of digital. It seems to me you have to enjoy aspects about the physicality of vinyl, or it would end up being a bother that would ultimately interfere with the music.

egellings

Major Contributor
I view having and using vinyl as more of a hobby in its own right, separate from other music delivery formats. You gits [sic] to fiddle with tone arms, cartridges, alignment tools, turntables, phono preamps and the like. When you get it working, there's the music, and it has no right to sound that good. If you don't like all that, then simply pass it by. If I were just interested in music only, I certainly would not go through the hassle of vinyl playback.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I view having and using vinyl as more of a hobby in its own right, separate from other music delivery formats. You gits [sic] to fiddle with tone arms, cartridges, alignment tools, turntables, phono preamps and the like. When you get it working, there's the music, and it has no right to sound that good. If you don't like all that, then simply pass it by. If I were just interested in music only, I certainly would not go through the hassle of vinyl playback.
I've said this before, but I see turntables and playing LPs much like an appreciation of steam locomotives or driving 1930s MGs. Not something I want to do every day, but tinkering with a turntable to get the best out of it isn't that different from tuning those irritating Solex or SU carburettors or adjusting tappets. Something fun to do with the added pleasure of the music at the end.

It does surprise me constantly just how good LPs can sound if reasonably unworn and clean.

S

Frgirard

Major Contributor
The two best things I've done as a music lover 1. Reselling my vinyls at a low price when the cd arrived in 1985. 2. Give my yba cd1 high end cd deck to use a vulgar pc/sound card duo. The same duo since 2011.

To be or to appear: I have chosen to be

DMill

Forum Donor
As graphic designer I miss the art. As a music lover I miss artists who write albums and not just singles. Everything else, good riddance.

Leporello

The Truth About Vinyl Records....

View attachment 224355
1)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2)
View attachment 224353

a - while one album is playing, which one between 1) and 2) is more delightful to browse for the next one ?
b - which one do you contemplate with a proud smile ?
c - which one tells your guests you are a person with very good taste and discrimination ?
d - which one has grown with you since you started listening to music ? (boomers only)
e - which one has stood the test of time ?
f - which one will last forever ?
g - which one makes you remember when and where you added an item to your collection ?
h - which one has an objective value besides the subjective one ?

I could go on and on.......
Which one is able to reproduce the original master recording more faithfully? Hint: it is not vinyl.
Your post illustrates nicely how the fascination with vinyl is mainly about things that have very little to do with appreciation of music. Vinylphiles seem to prioritize the stylistically correct act of listening to music over music itself. A fine hobby of course.

Leporello

When I have friends over for a listen, passing around vinyl jackets is a HUGE deal which everybody loves. It builds up anticipation for sure for stitting back and enjoying the music and nothing else.
Maybe they do, but many vinylphiles - having read stories like this on the Internet - actually only think or dream of doing something like this. Same goes for crate digging and other pre-fabricated experiences which very few people actually have despite convincing themselves that they do.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe they do, but many vinylphiles - having read stories like this on the Internet - actually only think or dream of doing something like this. Same goes for crate digging and other pre-fabricated experiences which very few people actually have despite convincing themselves that they do.
This is true of almost all leisure activities, just look at the used market for fitness goods. People think an activity looks interesting, but in enough to get experience in it, then realize it’s not for them. Doesn’t make it less rewarding for those it clicks with. I see plenty of people crate digging and vinyl prices aren’t coming down.

Cote Dazur

Your post illustrates nicely how the fascination with vinyl is mainly about things that have very little to do with appreciation of music
His post may or may not, but as someone would enjoy listening for the music, I can assure you that I listen to my records at 99.99% in my dedicated music room by myself and it is it all about enjoying music.
You and other like you are misunderstanding better measurements and better enjoyment. You might need measurements that are totally overkill to get to enjoy your music for whatever reason and I am happy for you and the other, but records have provided and still more than ever provide musical satisfaction. Not everybody needs high sinad and dsp to get their fix, a TT in a dedicated room listening in a single well positioned seat to two well positioned speakers will also do very nicely.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
What would be wrong with liking both the equipment and the music together?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which one is able to reproduce the original master recording more faithfully? Hint: it is not vinyl.
Your post illustrates nicely how the fascination with vinyl is mainly about things that have very little to do with appreciation of music. Vinylphiles seem to prioritize the stylistically correct act of listening to music over music itself. A fine hobby of course.
(My emphasis)

Most of what people are doing on a forum like this has very little to do directly with the appreciation of music. Page upon page of discussion, and music rarely comes up. This place is devoted to The Gear.

How many musicians, or what percentage of music lovers, in the world concern themselves with SINAD ratings, or minute distortion levels in DACs or amps, or measuring cables, or learning all the technical information about electronics, speakers etc? Most "music lovers" don't need any of that stuff (much less The Most Accurate System Possible) in order to just listen to and enjoy music.

The person who has researched every nook and cranny about his hi-fi system, who has engaged in hours of careful set up, room measuring/digital EQ, getting subwoofer crossovers just right etc....that stuff is just another version of gear fetishism. It may be toward some goal, but most "music lovers" have no need for such gear fetishism to enjoy music. They would see it as having "very little to do with the ability to appreciate music."

In other words: Beware glass houses. ;)

Last edited:

levimax

Major Contributor
Which one is able to reproduce the original master recording more faithfully?
Your post illustrates nicely how the fascination with vinyl is mainly about things that have very little to do with appreciation of music.
Faithfulness to the "original master recording" is a bit of a strawman especially for older music. Whether for LP or CD or streaming most recordings released to the public are "mastered" for the format and are often times "enhanced" during the mastering process. In the case of older music the modern mastering engineers can "ruin" the original recording with weird EQ choices and heavy handed ultra compression. I appreciate listening to older music the way it was originally released on LP as well later remastering's. The latest and greatest "remaster" from the streaming services is often not my preferred version.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Faithfulness to the "original master recording" is a bit of a strawman especially for older music. Whether for LP or CD or streaming most recordings released to the public are "mastered" for the format and are often times "enhanced" during the mastering process. In the case of older music the modern mastering engineers can "ruin" the original recording with weird EQ choices and heavy handed ultra compression. I appreciate listening to older music the way it was originally released on LP as well later remastering's. The latest and greatest "remaster" from the streaming services is often not my preferred version.

Indeed. If the FINAL mastering was for vinyl playback, which of course was the case for much of recorded music, then with a reasonable quality turntable system, you are generally hearing it on the medium for which that final master was intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom