• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec M040 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 90 51.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 75 43.1%

• Total voters

Tangband

Major Contributor
One of the reasons I had bought them was also that the directivity was smoother than on its more expensive 8040B sibling:

M040_horizontal_response.png

8040A_horizontal_response.png

It seems they fixed those issues though on its latest GLM variant 8340A:

View attachment 224528
The 8340 SAM har a lower crossover frequency than the older 8040b, - 2,6 kHz vs 3 kHz . Probably also a steeper crossover, but Im not sure. This is good for directivity.

The smaller 0,75 inch dome used in 8040b, 8030c and 8340 has slightly better dispersion over 10 KHz compared to the 1 inch tweeter in a040, and the 0,75 inch dome dont have the distortion breakups at 96 dB, so its a matter of swings and roundabouts.
Compromises, as in all two way loudspeakers.:)

Last edited:

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Out of curiosity not judgment, why take the resources and time to test an out-of-production device? Virtually no one is able to buy a new one.
And how many times must we test and prove that power and USB cables are all about the same in the proper application? How many nails does it take to nail boutique cable manufacturers' coffins shut? (And is this a valuable use of expensive test gear and expertise?)
a) It's interesting to see how engineering has evolved.
b) Loads of us might not be able to buy a new Genelec, but are on the market for an used one.
c) Science.

Last edited:

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
But yes, I hear you on the larger point. Every day I am turning down older products to test. There must have been half a dozen this week alone!

Sniff.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I strongly vote YES to reviewing older products!
First, it is a valuable data point and other, maybe more important aspect, is that there is a used market to think of!
That used market is very big in some undeveloped parts of the world.
Seconded.

Tangband

Major Contributor
The 6,5 inch bassdriver looks remarkable smooth without any breakups whatsoever - beautiful.
F584499A-1594-45D3-8CA0-DED0B78BFA5F.png

Fotophred

Owned 8351a for a few years - comment about low bass from a previous post is at odds with what happened in room.
They were flat to 35/36hz with about 12 - 15 db of gain from 80 down to 50/60 Hz from which they sloped down to zero db at the previously mentioned 35/36 Hz.

Yes they used technology of their time but to suggest there was a need for a sub seems misleading.
(Concurrently owned a pair of 15" Tannoy Ardens driven with a MC2255 Mac, 8351a slaughtered them in the lower bass)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, this bodes well for my 8040's :) Once again Genelec manages to deliver a super low distortion system.

Zaireeka

There is an S&R review. The biggest problem with the 8351A is it has a first gen Ones woofer design that had very poor output at some frequencies, particularly the dip at 40-70hz where it performs comparably to the later generation and much smaller 8331a.

The 8351B also has a larger midrange and tweeter as well as more refined performance overall. If you are getting 8351a at a very big discount and planning to use subs it may still be worthwhile. The overall sound isn't going to be that much different.
Thank you!

I already bought the 8351A pair and I'm very satisfied with them, with no particular issue in the bass region except for a notch at 72Hz due to the room, very visible on the GLM curve but not really audible.
The next step will be adding one 7360 / two 7350 subs, and installing more acoustic treatment (probably DIY Helmholtz resonators to cope with the usual bass frequency modes)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a review, and detailed measurements of the Genelec M040 powered studio monitor (active speaker). It is on kind loan from a member. It has been discontinued but cost US $895. I see a few available still for $600.

Where? in which case that would be quite the bargain. I tend to prefer 8 inches mid-woofers though but at $600.oo? Wouldn't complain :)

Peace.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
510218_IGDB-272x380.jpg

RobL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I read on Ken Rockwell’s review that these are a plastic composite and not aluminum as Genelec now uses. Is that correct?

Midwest Blade

I appreciate some of the older product reviews as they serve to provide a fair comparison to what we hold today is reasonable performance. While the Genelec M040 are just about 10 years old, they easily live up to the companies dedication to performance.

With the unique port, would these work from stands in free space or are they better suited to near field desk top?

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Out of curiosity not judgment, why take the resources and time to test an out-of-production device? Virtually no one is able to buy a new one.
And how many times must we test and prove that power and USB cables are all about the same in the proper application? How many nails does it take to nail boutique cable manufacturers' coffins shut? (And is this a valuable use of expensive test gear and expertise?)
Good point… if I may offer up that some of us scan for recently discontinued items with great reviews as a form of bottom fishing.
E8811531-0CE4-484D-99ED-64ED5DF87E7B.jpeg

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm Would you go back and give your thoughts on some past speakers that you'd now raise or lower the panther on? I'm thinking you might lower some panthers, like on the JBL 708P.

Tks

Major Contributor
Seems like a good desktop speaker, if you have a subwoofer already, hm?

Habbe

I had the smaller version of this speaker, the M030. I really liked it, and I think I could hear two things that are different from the 8030B: class D amps (feeling of more clarity because of less distortion) and bass reflex pointing downwards (less muddy bass when positioned close to wall).

One day they didn't turn on anymore, and for some reason I got brand new 8030B as a replacement.

I got the feeling the M series was too good for their targeted price and diminished the value of the 80X0 range.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s curious that you don’t see these very much on the used market, at least not in my country…

Multicore

Major Contributor
I remember when this was released being quite interested. It was priced a bit lower than their well-known boxes and designed for use without a stand on a desk (at the back of the desk, I guess) using some kind of fancy port that opens on the bottom. Seemed to be aimed at lower budget users. And did it have a case made from recycled wood fiber?

Did you do anything in testing to simulate the desk?

Top Bottom