• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ultra-High Performance Stereo RCA to True Balanced XLR Converter

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Thanks for sharing. It's another very good option.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do you want to use such a converter if you are not going to use a long cable? Curious…

Megaken

That coupon expired a long time ago but I have re-enabled it for you through July 14th. Please note that I do not have stock of the bare boards only the fully assembled modules.
Ok so i can use this between my unbalanced out preamp and a balanced amp?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company
What is the benefit over this?

There are three ways to get from RCA (unbalanced) to XLR (balanced)
(1) Use an RCA to XLR adapter (this is what you have linked to above)
With an RCA to XLR adapter, you break the balanced input on your amplifier or pre-amp because 1/2 of the XLR input is shorted to the RCA’s shield. Depending on the design of the balanced input this can have undesirable effects.
(2) Use a transformer-based RCA to XLR Converter
A transformer-based converter can work well as long as it is properly matched to both the RCA and XLR side impedances. However, even if it is properly matched the transformer creates AC coupling which causes bass phase shift.
(3) Use an active converter (this is the product)
With a DC-coupled active converter, all the issues associated with the first two approaches are eliminated.

Megaken

There are three ways to get from RCA (unbalanced) to XLR (balanced)
(1) Use an RCA to XLR adapter (this is what you have linked to above)
With an RCA to XLR adapter, you break the balanced input on your amplifier or pre-amp because 1/2 of the XLR input is shorted to the RCA’s shield. Depending on the design of the balanced input this can have undesirable effects.
(2) Use a transformer-based RCA to XLR Converter
A transformer-based converter can work well as long as it is properly matched to both the RCA and XLR side impedances. However, even if it is properly matched the transformer creates AC coupling which causes bass phase shift.
(3) Use an active converter (this is the product)
With a DC-coupled active converter, all the issues associated with the first two approaches are eliminated.
Ok. And can I use it without the enclosure?

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Audio Company

Megaken

Also what's the current requirement - I have 2x 9v adapters one for 1A and one for 2A. Which should I use?

Top Bottom