• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audioquest Pearl USB Cable Review

Rate this audio cable

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 225 82.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 12.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow at that Cardas Clear Beyond RCA review-

Switching from Cardas's budget-priced, $125-per-meter Iridium to Cardas's $4250-per-meter Clear Beyond changed my system's sound character as much as changing phono cartridges or DACs: The Bartók DAC became more silent, grainless, full-spectrum, and beautiful-sounding than it had been with any of my other cables.

Of course it sounds better! It has to. Otherwise you just wasted $4,125.

Lol, it would cost me $12,750 to get my stereo working with these cables, since I would need 3 one meter pairs.
But think of the audio horizons that would open for you!

diaolodoro

I had so many broken micro and mini usbs over the years. If a company made a really nice and very durable cable at that price, I'd probably buy it. (at least in the past)
Now I refuse to buy micro usb devices any more. Even the cheapest usb-c feels better than the most expensive micro usb.

I also wonder if these new usb-c cables with internal chips can affect the sound somehow, but to my ears they sound fine.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I vaguely remember Nelson mentioning on some website he had a bunch of Radio Shack gold plated cables he'd had for years. They are likely the low capacitance ones we used to sell back in the late 80s/90s. They were actually a really high grade cable and demonstrably lower capacitance and resistance than generic cables. I still have a pile of them someplace. IIRC, they were 1 or 1.5m in length.
I had those too :). I need to find a photo of them but they also had strain relieving springs where the connector and wire meet.

Their “Megacable” used PVC jackets so the outer layer has turned a bit green but they were having their speaker wire made in the USA.

Even running the distance of the entire spool, the resistance is below the threshold of detection of a basic multimeter.

Attachments

• 133A1DC9-927F-4462-849C-DF531E431D22.jpeg
    133A1DC9-927F-4462-849C-DF531E431D22.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 39B97AAE-CD12-41BE-AC60-267AB979A415.jpeg
    39B97AAE-CD12-41BE-AC60-267AB979A415.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 68

Orion76

My DAC manufacturer wants the USB cable as short as possible.
Short cables make sense when possible. This was even tested here at ASR-

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I had so many broken micro and mini usbs over the years. If a company made a really nice and very durable cable at that price, I'd probably buy it.

If someone made a line of cables immune to a cat biting through them, I'd definitely pay extra for that.

I've lost count of the number of headphone, mouse, USB and other cables that were irresistible to my cats.

A few recently victimized:

0812221009_copy_734x734.jpg

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

Switching from Cardas's budget-priced, $125-per-meter Iridium to Cardas's $4250-per-meter Clear Beyond changed my system's sound character as much as changing phono cartridges or DACs: The Bartók DAC became more silent, grainless, full-spectrum, and beautiful-sounding than it had been with any of my other cables.

Lol, it would cost me $12,750 to get my stereo working with these cables, since I would need 3 one meter pairs.
Yes, you need the "Full Loom" to get the full benefit of these exotic cables. <http://www.cardas.com/cables.php> :)

I just found this at <https://hifiplus.com/articles/cardas-audio-clear-beyond-interconnects/>
The good news – for those of us under the watchful eye of a domestic Sauron – is Clear Beyond and Clear look almost identical. Beyond has a diameter about 1.25mm thicker and it has the word ‘Beyond’ emblazoned on the side, but if you are looking for stealth interconnect upgrades from Clear (or even Clear Light), Clear Beyond sails in unnoticed. I know this sounds trivial in the extreme, but it’s one of the most common – if hushed – questions we get asked at shows: “what can I buy that the Other Half won’t notice?”
What does that tell us? That anyone spending this much on a cable is, and should be, too ashamed to admit this to their partner, who of course is too sensible to be taken in by this obvious nonsense?

odarg64

"The good news – for those of us under the watchful eye of a domestic Sauron – is Clear Beyond and Clear look almost identical. Beyond has a diameter about 1.25mm thicker and it has the word ‘Beyond’ emblazoned on the side, but if you are looking for stealth interconnect upgrades from Clear (or even Clear Light), Clear Beyond sails in unnoticed. I know this sounds trivial in the extreme, but it’s one of the most common – if hushed – questions we get asked at shows: “what can I buy that the Other Half won’t notice?”

Deceptive shill marketing coupled with a deceptive home life. What could possibly go wrong? :facepalm:

lc6

Truth In Advertising
"When consumers see or hear an advertisement, whether it’s on the Internet, radio or television, or anywhere else, federal law says that ad must be truthful, not misleading, and, when appropriate, backed by scientific evidence.
The FTC looks especially closely at advertising claims that can affect consumers’ health or their pocketbooks – claims about food, over-the-counter drugs, dietary supplements, alcohol, and tobacco and on conduct related to high-tech products and the Internet."

In the review, @amirm included a copy of the manufacturer's specific claims about performance of the product, in particular about "reduced distortion" and "smoother and clearer sound." Measurements clearly show these claims cannot be true. The manufacturer is an American company that conducts business in the US and abroad, and has been making similar claims for years. So this case should be referred to the FTC for enforcement of the Act.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
If someone made a line of cables immune to a cat biting through them, I'd definitely pay extra for that.

I've lost count of the number of headphone, mouse, USB and other cables that were irresistible to my cats.

A few recently victimized:

View attachment 223797
Your cats could make a nice living working for a cable company, cutting cables off the drum to the required lengths. :)

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Technical question for ubernerds - if USB 3.0 was an analog audio format, what frequency range would it encompass at what bit depth?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Technical question for ubernerds - if USB 3.0 was an analog audio format, what frequency range would it encompass at what bit depth?
You mean digital audio? USB 3.0 is specified at 5 Gb/s and 3.1 at 10 Gb/s. In practice, you probably can't get more that ½ of those, so let's say that 3.0 can support any combination of sample rate and bit depth up to 2.5 Gb/s and 3.1 up to 5 Gb/s. You get insanely large numbers, hundreds or thousands of times greater than any audio bandwidth, assuming a single stream.

Reactions: 617

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Definitely a rip off although at first blush not as much so as the Nordost Tyr 2 cable. But only at first blush once you realize that it costs at least four times as much as Amazon's every bit as good cable AND that this particular cable is Audioquests "Entry Level" USB. So, basicaly. it's a way to lure naive would be audiophiles into paying four times as much as they need for something that will provide perfect functionality for its intended use. Then, once those selfsame audiophiles realize how good the functionality is. they will be far more likely to "step up" to the more exhorbitantly priced gold or diamond level cables which are where the true profits lie for Audioquest and its dealers.

So, costs four times as much as a pluperfectly functional generic cable, and also a gateway drug to the snake oil underbelly of the audiophile marketplace.

Last edited:

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a mystery to me how companies like AudioQuest and their ilk are allowed to remain in business. What they do is a type of fraud. Even more puzzling is how they seem to believe their own claims.
They remain in business becuase they are meeting the need for a market. If there were no buyers, there would be nothing to sell (at least in a "free" market economy.
Instead of attacking the AQ (while it is hard), you should be focusing your attention at consumers. Which is exactly what Amir does in trying to educate here.
PT Barnum said it so well "There's a sucker born every minute"

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Seeing how it costs less than the sales tax on many of their other cables that also improve nothing - I gave it a Not Terrible.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean digital audio? USB 3.0 is specified at 5 Gb/s and 3.1 at 10 Gb/s. In practice, you probably can't get more that ½ of those, so let's say that 3.0 can support any combination of sample rate and bit depth up to 2.5 Gb/s and 3.1 up to 5 Gb/s. You get insanely large numbers, hundreds or thousands of times greater than any audio bandwidth, assuming a single stream.

I guess my question didn't make sense. But assuming it is a digital audio stream, and let's cap the bit depth at 64 bits. What is the maximum sample rate you could get?

Grooved

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had one of these. I did not buy it as such, it came with a used device I got on eBay .
it worked! it even managed to put my Hugo2 into fast charge mode, meaning it was low impedance .
did it have any effects on sound, No. I didn't even look for such things. but it was well made, with gold plated contacts.
Of course I sold it back on eBay for £25, because I make my own DIY cables.
So I don't know why it has been voted as terrible!
it is an overpriced cable, but it is a decent cable.
compared to the Groundaray , this is actually a wonderful , value for money product.
Because of the claims, that are just a big lie

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

So called audio journalism. So corrupt it's laughable.

Top Bottom