• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

gorg

My Blu-Ray Player is SONY 's inexpensive model BDP-S6700.
This model has COAX audio output.
Ok, ok, but, according to user manual there are two important settings:
1.' x [Digital Audio Output] [Auto]: Normally select this. Outputs audio signals according to the status of the connected devices. [PCM]: Outputs PCM signals from the DIGITAL OUT (COAXIAL)/HDMI OUT jack '

Try PCM

2. 'x [Downmix] [Surround]: Outputs audio signals with surround effects. Select this when connecting an audio device that supports Dolby Surround (Pro Logic) or DTS Neo:6. [Stereo]: Outputs audio signals without surround effects. Select this when connecting an audio device that does not support Dolby Surround (Pro Logic) or DTS Neo:6. '

Try STEREO.

svetdts

I reported the problem before.

I think that this problem is due to incorrect setting of the reception signal level of Topping D50 or misconfiguration.
My two D50s have already gone to other places and can not be examined.
However, I was relieved that someone noticed this problem besides me.

There are other problems as well.
If you play a song of PCM 384k after playing a song other than PCM 384k, a big pop noise will occur.
This problem is also common to D50 DX7s DX3 Pro.

I think these problems should be reported to Topping.
svetdts:
Hello, i received my D50 two days ago ,but Topping's coaxial entry does not work.. My coaxial cable is in good working order, because when it is plugged into my Yamaha receiver, there is music.What could be the problem?

service

Hello
Thank you for contacting TOPPING support. We are happy to assist.

There are 3 possibilities will case this problem.

1, the connection between your player and D50 is not good enough.
2, the S/PDIF signal from your player is not a standard signal, D50 required a standard signal.
3, your player is not outputting a S/PDIF signal.

You can check these and find the solution.

So, is this a service !?

gorg

svetdts:
Hello, i received my D50 two days ago ,but Topping's coaxial entry does not work.. My coaxial cable is in good working order, because when it is plugged into my Yamaha receiver, there is music.What could be the problem?

service

Hello

2, the S/PDIF signal from your player is not a standard signal, D50 required a standard signal.

So, is this a service !?
What's your S/PDIF source?

Veri

Master Contributor
svetdts:

service

Hello

So, is this a service !?
They're not wrong though. Yamaha receiver can decode much more format than D50. You are doing something wrong ...

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why don't you set the player to output at most, the maximum limit of SPDIF? (24/96 I believe)

svetdts

My player has an optical and coaxial output, with the optical output of my player-no problem, so the coaxial should also work.

jackenhack

Forum Donor
I am using a RavPower 5V-2.4A 6700mAh power cell. Here’s the Amazon link:

Portable Charger RAVPower 6700mAh (2.4A Output & 2A Input) External Battery Pack Power Bank Power Pack Backup Battery Charger for iPhone Xs, iPhone X, 8 Plus, Galaxy S9, S8, Note 8 and More - Pink https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y2PX4TS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_D4rfCbDKFW9C6

A power bank uses a buck or/and boost switching dc converters, so there is nothing to gain by using it instead of a standard switching power supply. You will have switching noise in both.

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A power bank uses a buck or/and boost switching dc converters, so there is nothing to gain by using it instead of a standard switching power supply. You will have switching noise in both.

Besides being able to carry the D50 with you and use it without an AC supply.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Ok, ok, but, according to user manual there are two important settings:
1.' x [Digital Audio Output] [Auto]: Normally select this. Outputs audio signals according to the status of the connected devices. [PCM]: Outputs PCM signals from the DIGITAL OUT (COAXIAL)/HDMI OUT jack '

Try PCM

2. 'x [Downmix] [Surround]: Outputs audio signals with surround effects. Select this when connecting an audio device that supports Dolby Surround (Pro Logic) or DTS Neo:6. [Stereo]: Outputs audio signals without surround effects. Select this when connecting an audio device that does not support Dolby Surround (Pro Logic) or DTS Neo:6. '

Try STEREO.
Yes, I use it with PCM / stereo output that way.
But D10 DX 7s DX 3 Pro works perfectly. Switch its output to D50 No signal will be received if connected.
There are two D50, but both do not work.

Toku

Major Contributor
Why don't you set the player to output at most, the maximum limit of SPDIF? (24/96 I believe)
Connecting the coaxial cable to the D10 DX7s DX3 Pro works perfectly. However, if you connect the coaxial cable to the D50, it will not receive the signal.
I think there is a problem with setting the signal reception level of D50.

Veri

Master Contributor
Connecting the coaxial cable to the D10 DX7s DX3 Pro works perfectly. However, if you connect the coaxial cable to the D50, it will not receive the signal.
When I had my D50, it accepter 24/192 optical via M2Tech bridge.

gorg

I just checked d50's COAX input once again.
I have old Philips CD371 CD-player with DIY-SPDIF output - "stolen" from SAA7220 chip. I have no oscilloscope, so there's some speculation:
according to datasheet SAA has 2.4-5Vp-p max output so I attenuate it by simple voltage divider(s).
My D50 locks on SPDIF signal as low as 0,12-0,24V and as high as 1,2-2,4V (higher not tested).

I think you had just bad luck and your D50 (both) are faulty...

svetdts

I checked d50's COAX input once again too, with COAX output of my old DVD player Neo-no problem with him, but with Popcorn Hour C200- it did not work. I have no oscilloscope too. So problem as Toku think may bi is a signal's level.

gorg

I checked d50's COAX input once again too, with COAX output of my old DVD player Neo-no problem with him, but with Popcorn Hour C200- it did not work. I have no oscilloscope too. So problem as Toku think may bi is a signal's level.
Is optical connection working at all? (Popcorn --> D50)

Toku

Major Contributor
I just checked d50's COAX input once again.
I have old Philips CD371 CD-player with DIY-SPDIF output - "stolen" from SAA7220 chip. I have no oscilloscope, so there's some speculation:
according to datasheet SAA has 2.4-5Vp-p max output so I attenuate it by simple voltage divider(s).
My D50 locks on SPDIF signal as low as 0,12-0,24V and as high as 1,2-2,4V (higher not tested).

I think you had just bad luck and your D50 (both) are faulty...
Thank you for providing the data.
I think that there is a problem with the level setting of the D50 reception signal.
I confirmed that the problem occurred in other D50, so I will report this problem to Topping.

Toku

Major Contributor
I have something I want everyone to investigate.

Will not a big pop noise occur when playing a song of PCM 384k after playing a song other than PCM 384k at your D50?
A large pop noise occurs in the two D50 and DX7s that I own. No pop noise is generated in D10 and DX3 Pro.

I am suffering from this problem for a long period of time.
I want to check if it is occurring in other D50 DX7s before reporting to Topping.

Top Bottom