• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

There is something very, very wrong with today’s music

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I read that article a couple weeks ago. "Alan Cross" is thought of as a Canadian music icon by some. While I can agree that most radio music these days is bland, over produced, compressed and uninspired there is still still so much great stuff out there.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
digitalfrost said:
And if I’m honest, none of this music is any good. All I hear is mumbled lyrics tunelessly rendered (well, except for the overuse of Auto-Tune) and beats so quantized that they could be substituted for an atomic clock.

Which is basically what all mainstream music ever was throughout history, I'm tired of older people going for this narrative when this has always been the case.

Auto tune and quantized beats started in the 90s. So no, it hasn't been the case throughout history. Your elders have a point here.

But the point you probably are making is that mainstream music has always been the least common denominator of the youthful styles of the day, and the styles that older people don't understand and judge.

So yeah, old people criticizing the popular music of the day is nothing new. It is interesting, however, if the sudden popularity of old songs shows that young people are turning away from current pop, or is the Boomer / Gen X generations having a bigger more lingering impact on the marketplace.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I routinely find new and more or less unkown artists on Spotify that are both musically amazing, and also have pretty darn great production and sound quality as well. Sure there are lots of bland pop music, but that was always the case. So it's tempting to say "OK, boomer!" to this post. :)

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
"Today's music ain't got the same soul
I like that old time rock 'n' roll"

Bob Segar

Making music 'too perfect' spoils it.
I could never find the exact quote when I went-back looked for it but I once saw an interview with Waylon Jennings and he said something like, "Sometimes it's better when it's not as good". That was after the studio had added strings (and done who-knows what else) to one of his recordings.

sofrep811

I'm sure that for every genre under the sun, you will find incredibly talented people.

For those of us living in the middle of nowhere, where there are no record stores, no Hi fi stores and soon, no population at all, this time is great. Today you can contact the author and get a copy with the same ease I am talking to you now.

Same goes for film or other media. If I told my deceased father I could easily watch 1927's Wings with the same ease I can watch The Northman he'd think I am on something.
Streaming.

Use Pitchfork or www.albumoftheyear.com to look for albums YOU might enjoy. You have to put in the work. No music is spoon fed to you unless your 25 and under and using every prominent app they use to communicate. Songs become hits on TikTok. That's how Kate Bush got back up. Had someone pushed that song without Stranger Things being associated it would of never been a hit.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What never stops amazing me is how many young folks listen mostly to older music the majority of the time. In my youth, almost no one listened to the music of my parents.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
There are actually some well-documented factors that play into this issue of today's music being different and/or worse. Some of it is perception, some of it is exposure, and some of it apparently is real.

When it comes to Top 40/Hot 100 music - the most popular of pop music - scholarly analyses have been conducted, and both the lyrical and musical components have indeed gotten simpler and less varied in the past 30 years or so. So that part is real. But on the other hand, this dumbing-down trend has not been observed more broadly in the musical landscape - it appears to be mainly in the realm of "hit" music, which has always contained a lot of pap. I mean, look at the Top 40/Billboard charts in the 1970s: tons of amazing music was getting made and selling like hotcakes, and yet the charts tended to be filled with a lot of very lightweight pop.

The industry has also changed, and when it comes to pop/rock music in particular, AOR (album-oriented rock) is not the dominant format that it was from the 1970s through the mid-1990s. A lot of that is about the rise of digital music, first with individually purchasable songs and then with streaming. Those are both media that strongly favor singles and songs over albums, and encourage Endless Shuffle playback. These media have also ushered in the decline of traditional radio overall, and with it the decline in deejays and critics as tastemakers. It's part of the larger fracturing of all mass-media/entertainment audiences. So there's less support for and cultural/economic centrality to the album format, which also means shorter songs and less varied types of songs. And there's less exposure to album-based music, so the varied, interesting albums that are out there are generally not getting heard by as many people and are not occupying as central of a place in our collective attention.

The above phenomena have also been exacerbated by the reduction in the number of people who are writing and producing the lion's share of the biggest hits. In a way it's kind of like a return to the pre-1970s era, when singles were the big thing and most artists performed songs written and produced by others.

The rise of hip-hop and its displacement of rock as the most popular musical genre has had huge ripple effects. The barrier to entry for hip-hop is lower than for traditional, band-based rock music (which is why hip-hop began in the first place), and it has always been based on samples and rhythm more than on solos, instrumental breaks and changes, complex compositions, and so on (the best trip-hop is a partial exception to this). The rise of inexpensive computer audio workstations has only intensified this trend.

On the other hand, the production and creation of music has never been more widespread than it is now. Tons of fascinating stuff is getting created - it's just coexisting with an ocean of simple, homogenous product.

Oh, and mandolin > banjo. Just sayin'.
Music in general might have dumbed down, but there is some incredibly complex and layered music out there. Far beyond anything produced in the seventies and eighties. Only some jazz and classical pieces compare.

Streaming.

Use Pitchfork or www.albumoftheyear.com to look for albums YOU might enjoy. You have to put in the work. No music is spoon fed to you unless your 25 and under and using every prominent app they use to communicate. Songs become hits on TikTok. That's how Kate Bush got back up. Had someone pushed that song without Stranger Things being associated it would of never been a hit.
I think Sturgil Simpon's Sound & Fury project for Netflix is a good example of using modern media to produce something special. A country artist producing and album with that is accompanied by an original Netflix arnime? Pretty nuts and pretty special.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
"Death of music-as-we-know-it!" has been oft-repeated yet its funeral has really never fully materialized.
Only certainty that is guaranteed is that "Music Morphs."
Lamenting "who moved my cheese" does not necessarily get you more cheese (or more of the same 'music').
AI be damned, I still get that silly feeling upon finding a new act that agrees with my tastes and I don't over analyze it.
But, bringing back KateBush to the top of the charts in 2022 is a different kind of "silly"…

Daverz

Major Contributor
a Rick Beato vid on it in which there were clips played and his main criticism of the top 10 was they were all very repetitive, mundane, boring, and lacked and elements or surprise or anything really interesting happening.

The impression that I get is that modern listeners don't have the downtime to listen to music for its own sake and don't want to hear anything that would distract or divert them from some other task, so everything sounds like sonic wallpaper.

Also, why is autotune still a thing? So ugly sounding.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the OP is OUT'A HERE. It was bound happen, going to an "audiophile" website and saying music has died and all we have left is from decades ago.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I haven't listened to much of the top spotify songs but I watched a Rick Beato vid on it in which there were clips played and his main criticism of the top 10 was they were all very repetitive, mundane, boring, and lacked and elements or surprise or anything really interesting happening.
I quickly panned thru Beato's top 10, couldn't listen to any of it for more than a minute, until he came to the #2 song by Joji.
That instantly hooked me and I listened to the whole thing.
I couldn't agree with Rick more, a real song, with real singing, composed with craft, what a beautiful song.
I need to check out more by them.
IMO that's the problem with most of todays music, the near complete abandonment of melody.
Rap, hip-hop, you can't even call that music in my book.
The vast majority of new music I listen to today comes from the prog rock, country, and blues genre's

goat76

Major Contributor
This. There are tons of soundtracks that are wonderful to listen to.
So there is a lot of contemporary stuff that know how to please the ear. That includes electronic music as well.

The mainstream music is .... well... not very good.
But I'm pretty sure that has been true at any given time. You need to look for stuff that fits your tastes.
Yes, whatever your music-fetish looks like you will be able to find it, thanks to everything being so easily accessed now in this non-physical media time. When the music industry had the power of the recording studios, the power of mass producing physical media, and the power of the distribution chains, they also had the power to decide what music would get the chance of "making it" and find the audience. They promoted the "safe bets" they thought would be sure radio-friendly hits, and if something was a really big hit they weren't slow finding copycats of that to milk the hell out of it.

All that has changed now and the artist can fund the recording process or do it completely by themselves, they have direct access to the whole world as a market and don't even have to worry about how many physical media copies they need to be do, now when it's just about digital files.
The record industry, the middle hand that historically just stole most of the artists income from their art are simply not needed anymore.

People with deeper interest of music than the mainstream population are no longer forced to be listening to music chosen by others like radio channels or the music industry, they will have their own catered playlists of music that is completely out of the sync with the radio friendly tunes of the mainstream top lists. And the charts will now in most cases be based on the most played songs, therefore the trends of music in popular shows like Stranger Things will jump to the top of the most popular music charts, no matter if the music was produced in the 80's. :)

Digby

Major Contributor
I think it is unquestionable that music has become more simplistic (quite possibly in parallel with people becoming more simplistic - which came first, the chicken or the egg?).

I have no doubt there is an ongoing refining of music (that may be reaching its zenith), not in the sense of improving it, but a taking off of all the rough edges, so that is can be packaged and sold to as many people as possible. It is as palatable as possible, whilst being as bland as inoffensive as possible, to sell as many units to as many people as possible. I don't think this is occurring only in pop music either.

I think the understanding of what makes a 'hit' is reaching such a point, that there is some kind of singularity type event happening across various genres. The width of musical styles, sounds and presentations are markedly narrower, almost irrespective of genre compared to, say, 30 years ago.

People who are really into their music are not much taken by this kind of music, but for the 95% who see music in much the same way they see fashion and food - essentially, easy come, easy go - it fills a void in the same way food fills a void in the stomach. It is the audio equivalent of a McDonalds meal.

Take hip hop or electronic dance music for example, both genres which are commonly considered 'young peoples' music'; compare the music that was made in the 80s for hip hop and the 90s for dance music with what is made today and there will be far less variety, experimentation, and thinking out of the box now, than there was then.

Modern music, that ever holds ambitions of reaching any kind of chart position, is a highly advanced exercise in cost/risk analysis.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think people should move away from following singers or rappers and start following producers.

I very much enjoy everything Max Martin does and i think he shaped how music sounded and continue to sound for the last 25 years.

You’re not going to get a consistently enjoyable experience otherwise because the market is really volatile.

Top Bottom