• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Silver 500 7g

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stereophile also recently measured it:

Get to see the tweeter ringing (breaking up) like crazy around ~25kHz.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, already mentioned on Silver 100 6G thread.;) Exceptional performance.
So did Hi-Fi News :

The 50 as well :

I'm also quite impatient to see a complete Spin for the 100/200/300 7G.

Reactions: RoA
OP
C

cd45123

Yep, already mentioned on Silver 100 6G thread.;) Exceptional performance.

So did Hi-Fi News :

The 50 as well :

I'm also quite impatient to see a complete Spin for the 100/200/300 7G.
Late to the party I see… oh well

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would love to see if the center channel performs well. That would be a nice find.

MrOtto

Why do Hifinews measurements, lab report, start the x-axis, frequency response at 200 Hz?

MrOtto

I listened to these today. Underwhelming acutally. Might have been the room, but side by side was also the Gold 300, on same electronics and same song, roughly the same volume. Much more enganging. Better soundstage, was just a better speaker in reproducing what it would have been to be there live. Sadly twice as expensive, but there are better speakers in the price range of the Silver 500. Wharfedale Linton Heritage are cheaper and gave me a better listening experience.

HooStat

I bought these along with the center channel. Flat to 27 Hz in my (very large) room. Maybe a touch on the bright side, but I am really enjoying them. They were the only non-gloss, black oak 3-way passive speaker with highish sensitivity (88 db +) and a 3-way matching center that I could find and had any kind of objective measurements.

Will3

I have a pair. Same black oak finish that matches my Polk psw505 subwoofer. They NEED time to break in. I'm probably at 80 hours now. I run them biamped, 400 watts per speaker combined in an apt. living room/kitchen area. Really don't need to use the sub 85% of the time. Every component I play through this system sounds good, but well recorded media sounds GREAT. They have a horn like accuracy that catches every detail upstream. Not Klipsch like; but more pro monitor for home use like? Best speakers I've ever owned.

ANOTHER pleasant surprise for me has been the set of Silver 1 bookshelf speakers that I found about the same time that I use in the bedroom system.
They have a similar linearity, accuracy AND need for break in as the 500s. They are in such good condition when I got they they were probably never used much or properly run in. They also have opened up very nicely with use. I doubt most of the original reviewers of the Silver 1s ever gave them the break in time they seem to need either. With a dash of Canton AS-65SC 6'5" sub in the corner they are KILLER.

Main System;
Schitt Freya+ with RCA/Tung Sol NOS tubes; UREI 6500 Amplifier; Sony TA-N55ES Amplifer; Shiitt Gungnir MB A2 Dac; HP Probook 4540s i7 Audio Optimized Laptop; Thorens TD-125II TT/Mani 2 preamp; Sony PS-X75 TT/Park Budgie preamp; Sony TC-K777 Cassette; Yamaha T-85 Tuner.

Bedroom System;
Kenwood DA-9010 Digital Integrated Amplifier; DP-8010 CD player; KT-3300 Tuner; Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB TT; Nakamichi BX-150 Cassette; JVC-XL M401 CD Changer

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair. Same black oak finish that matches my Polk psw505 subwoofer. They NEED time to break in. I'm probably at 80 hours now. I run them biamped, 400 watts per speaker combined in an apt. living room/kitchen area. Really don't need to use the sub 85% of the time. Every component I play through this system sounds good, but well recorded media sounds GREAT. They have a horn like accuracy that catches every detail upstream. Not Klipsch like; but more pro monitor for home use like? Best speakers I've ever owned.

ANOTHER pleasant surprise for me has been the set of Silver 1 bookshelf speakers that I found about the same time that I use in the bedroom system.
They have a similar linearity, accuracy AND need for break in as the 500s. They are in such good condition when I got they they were probably never used much or properly run in. They also have opened up very nicely with use. I doubt most of the original reviewers of the Silver 1s ever gave them the break in time they seem to need either. With a dash of Canton AS-65SC 6'5" sub in the corner they are KILLER.

Main System;
Schitt Freya+ with RCA/Tung Sol NOS tubes; UREI 6500 Amplifier; Sony TA-NS55ES Amplifer; Shiitt Gungnir MB A2 Dac; HP Probook 4540s i7 Audio Optimized Laptop; Thorens TD-125II TT/Mani 2 preamp; Sony PS-X75 TT/Park Budgie preamp; Sony TC-K777 Cassette; Yamaha T-85 Tuner.

Bedroom System;
Kenwood DA-9010 Digital Integrated Amplifier; DP-8010 CD player; KT-3300 Tuner; Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB TT; Nakamichi BX-150 Cassette; JVC-XL M401 CD Changer
Welcome.

I hope you are aware to what kind of forum you have signed up to ;-)

Most people here know that both “break in” and (passive) “biamping” are a audiophile myths which have been scientifically disproven many times over. Secondly any perceived differences in sound for eg biamping, breakin are a product of listeners bias / perceptional bias which every human exhibits. Thirdly differences in sound can only really proven by controlled listening tests (ABX).

Here is a great place to start reading / watching

Will3

Half the fun of this hobby is testing different configurations of the same equipment over time to determine the best sound to your ears.

You really don't think I would post in this forum without personally trying enough amp configurations, cables, wires, dacs, cd players, and speakers used and new, to know for sure what I said is true. I'm not trying to change the mind of anyone who believes otherwise, just relating my experience with the Monitor Audio speakers in my systems.

AlexanderM

Half the fun of this hobby is testing different configurations of the same equipment over time to determine the best sound to your ears.

You really don't think I would post in this forum without personally trying enough amp configurations, cables, wires, dacs, cd players, and speakers used and new, to know for sure what I said is true. I'm not trying to change the mind of anyone who believes otherwise, just relating my experience with the Monitor Audio speakers in my systems.
I listened to the Silver 500's recently and I like.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You really don't think I would post in this forum without personally trying enough amp configurations, cables, wires, dacs, cd players, and speakers used and new, to know for sure what I said is true.
"True" from a bias perspective, no doubt.;)

Welcome to ASR. Live and learn !

tuga

Major Contributor

Get to see the tweeter ringing (breaking up) like crazy around ~25kHz.

It's still much better than that of the appalling JBL HDI series tweeter (which rings at ~20kHz):

1121monitor.lab1.jpg

Monitor Audio 500 7G
https://www.hifinews.com/content/monitor-audio-silver-500-7g-loudspeaker-lab-report

1021jbl.lab1.jpg

JBL HDI 3800
https://www.hifinews.com/content/jbl-hdi-3800-loudspeaker-lab-report

pierre

Forum Donor

tuga

Major Contributor

tuga

Major Contributor
The midrange on this speaker is tiny and crossed very high at around 800Hz.
For classical music that is a sensitive area of the spectrum to cross drivers.
I wonder if the are any upsides to this other than easier integration in terms of directivity (improved IMD performance?).

hdkeith

I have been auditioning the Silver 500 7G and actually made the mistake of listening to the Gold 300 and 200 as well. The Silver was pretty impressive. The Gold 300 ribbon tweeter really is pretty amazing. I am going back again tomorrow to do some more listening. I would really love the Gold, but I was impressed how the Silver held its own. I actually was impressed as the Silver bass seemed a tad tighter and more impactful. But then the highs on the Gold were phenomenal. After hearing the silky smooth Gold tweeter the Silver highs were a tad bright/harsh, but that is only because I had just heard the Golds. Ironically I prefer the Gold highs and the Silver lows. If only they had a Silver with the ribbon for say $1K more and cal, it a Silver 700 and I am in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom