• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer recommendation

darpriper

Hello there folks,

During the last year i built an audio system with:

- Amplifier: Rega Elex - R
- DAC: Rega Dac- R
- Earphones: Hifiman Sundara
- Amp Earphones: Topping L50
- Speakers: Dali Oberon 7

The point is that I am using my pc as a player because I cant decide which streamer I should buy. I am pretty happy with my DAC and I like to have my audio system divided by devices for every purpose. I thought about using a raspberry 4 but I am not sure.
My budget is... not so expensive, around 200 maximum is ok, I am pretty sure the streamers will evolve quite fast. Another thing Im thinking about is to buy a second hand CD transport, just to check the difference between streaming and my old CDs.

Need to say that Rega confirmed me via e-mail that the best entry for the Rega DAC is the USB port, dont ask me way but they told me that.

Can you recommend me a streamer?
Appreciate it,
Cheers
IMG_1296.jpg

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RPI with a Digi hat.

SKBubba

Raspberry Pi is probably the best fit for your budget. But first you have to actually find an Rpi, then you have to pick out software and they all have pros and cons. A step up is the ifi zen streamer, and a step up from that is bluesound node. A budget option is the new wiim mini streamer, but it looks like they are still working out the kinks. Also, no usb output.

Disclaimer: I haven't used any of these devices. I've just been following these types of products for a while.

OP
darpriper

darpriper

Raspberry Pi is probably the best fit for your budget. But first you have to actually find an Rpi, then you have to pick out software and they all have pros and cons. A step up is the ifi zen streamer, and a step up from that is bluesound node. A budget option is the new wiim mini streamer, but it looks like they are still working out the kinks. Also, no usb output.

Disclaimer: I haven't used any of these devices. I've just been following these types of products for a while.
I was thinking about Allo USB bridge signature,
definetly I will check deeper the ifi Zen streamer.
About the bluesound node, is it not a DAC by itself I dont want to get interaction with my current Rega DAC

SKBubba

I was thinking about Allo USB bridge signature,
definetly I will check deeper the ifi Zen streamer.
About the bluesound node, is it not a DAC by itself I dont want to get interaction with my current Rega DAC
It has a dac but can also pass thru spdif and usb. So yeah, you're paying a little extra for feature you don't need with both bluesound and ifi. The allo is probably a good prebuilt rpi solution. You could diy cheaper, but they can get the rpi boards, plus they do all the work.

What are you going to use to stream? The software in the streamer? Pc software with upnp? Are you going to stream only local files or local + streaming service such as tidal or spotify? You should take all that into consideration as to how all that interacts together with the software, remote apps, etc.

OP
darpriper

darpriper

It has a dac but can also pass thru spdif and usb. So yeah, you're paying a little extra for feature you don't need with both bluesound and ifi. The allo is probably a good prebuilt rpi solution. You could diy cheaper, but they can get the rpi boards, plus they do all the work.

What are you going to use to stream? The software in the streamer? Pc software with upnp? Are you going to stream only local files or local + streaming service such as tidal or spotify? You should take all that into consideration as to how all that interacts together with the software, remote apps, etc.
in general I will use streaming service but I want to try some softwares I never used like RoopieXL or similar.

Also I am searching for a second hand cd transport to try my dad´s old CDs, I cant find something interesting that has CD transport+streamer

Thank you for your comments @SKBubba

HappyMetalGuy

I really think the best streamer is a normal quiet "fanless" laptop (just USB). If you have a good dac that knows what music is the streamer shouldn't be a factor, just the features and convenience and low noise would be advisable.
I personally like IFI streamer thought.

Zaireeka

I plan on building a Raspberry 3 based streamer with a 7" touchscreen and an AES hat soon. To me this is the most flexible solution if you have a low budget, and you can add modules for physical volume control, remote, etc

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The streaming service and device that you want to use to control it will have consequences for what the os on the streamer will need to be capable of. Do you know what streaming service you will use and what devices you will control with (ie apple, android etc)?

OP
darpriper

darpriper

The streaming service and device that you want to use to control it will have consequences for what the os on the streamer will need to be capable of. Do you know what streaming service you will use and what devices you will control with (ie apple, android etc)?
hello guys,
checking the second hand opportunities around me I found a 1 year old ifi zen stream for 275€ so I went for it. I dont think the allo is worth the difference (plus is out of stock).
In general I will use my local hard disc and spotify, tidal.
I will control everything from a tablet.

I will tell you how all the set up work, my next target is a CD transport to try old CDs I have (I also would like to buy some old ones, I see them cheap, and I like the interior arts)

In addition maybe i try to get a lineal power supply for the DAC or streamer

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
hello guys,
checking the second hand opportunities around me I found a 1 year old ifi zen stream for 275€ so I went for it. I dont think the allo is worth the difference (plus is out of stock).
In general I will use my local hard disc and spotify, tidal.
I will control everything from a tablet.

I will tell you how all the set up work, my next target is a CD transport to try old CDs I have (I also would like to buy some old ones, I see them cheap, and I like the interior arts)

In addition maybe i try to get a lineal power supply for the DAC or streamer
Glad you found something that works for you. The ifi streamer looks quite usable. Before you spend anymore money on streaming stuff you may may be want to read this:

Your dac doesn't care if it gets a pcm stream from a low noise streamer or a toaster. In the experiment I linked above, noise remained 25db lower than best case hearing thresholds on both a 10 year old i7 board at full CPU load and an RPI, both over a long, generic usb cable lacking any special noise mitigation.

OP
darpriper

darpriper

Glad you found something that works for you. The ifi streamer looks quite usable. Before you spend anymore money on streaming stuff you may may be want to read this:

Your dac doesn't care if it gets a pcm stream from a low noise streamer or a toaster. In the experiment I linked above, noise remained 25db lower than best case hearing thresholds on both a 10 year old i7 board at full CPU load and an RPI, both over a long, generic usb cable lacking any special noise mitigation.
My usb cable is nothing fancy, as electrical engineer I am not a cable beliver :p

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My usb cable is nothing fancy, as electrical engineer I am not a cable beliver :p
I guess it was because you mentioned the linear power supply. Nothing inherently wrong with those of course, but they won't improve the performance of a streamer or a dac.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What I do not like about RPi based streamers is to have to use my laptop as UI for music playing. I have two streamers: a Cambridge Audio CXN v.1 purchased new when it was less than $ 900 MSRP and a Weiss MAN30. The CA digital output goes into a Gustard X16 DAC. The Weiss AES/EBU into an Okto dac8 Stereo. The CA has a fair build quality, limited UI on iPhone or CA small screen. Audio quality seems fair to good.

The Weiss has a superb UI on iPad, and a convenient CD slot (it is I believe a DVD player) for digital file transfer from my CD collection. They both have some gremlins when upgrading the SSDs and occasionally the Weiss goes into a re-read mode of the digital files that takes > 24 h to ready the 69,000+ digital music files collection. The audio quality is superb.

Overall, I use both of them as a digital juke-box, and I have spent endless time to edit the metadata of the CDs (there is no industry standards for composers, names of players, orchestras, directors, etc.). So i guess they are more servers than streamers for me.

amper42

Major Contributor
in general I will use streaming service but I want to try some softwares I never used like RoopieXL or similar.

Also I am searching for a second hand cd transport to try my dad´s old CDs, I cant find something interesting that has CD transport+streamer

Thank you for your comments @SKBubba

I have several RPI4's using Nirvana SMPS with Moode installed. They work well and are super reliable. I also have the Wiim mini. I prefer the RPI4 over Wiim mini for streaming Qobuz via Auduirvana on the MacBook Pro. However, I also have another MBP connected directly to the USB port on the RME ADI-2 DAC. I use screen sharing to control that computer remotely via another MBP.

1. The Wiim mini would be my choice for Amazon HD or syncing multi-room music.
2. The RPI4 is my favorite for Qobuz with Audirvana.
3. Simply plugging the computer into the DAC USB port and controlling it via screen sharing is great too.
Any of these options work well.

As far as an AB test with Qobuz versus CD's? The difference is insignificant and certainly not enough to get me to load each CD. I would miss my custom Audirvana/Qobuz play lists much more than hear any difference in sound quality.

Lots of options!

Top Bottom