• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord GroundARAY Review (Noise Filter?)

Rate this audio product:

• 1. Waste of money (piggy bank panther)

Votes: 275 96.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 6 2.1%

• Total voters

JSmith

Master Contributor
1659706384675.png

KzaP.gif

JSmith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Haruko

it is audibly transparent... great achievment imho

SKBubba

If I'm using the RCA plug version in my stereo amp, do I need two of them (one for each channel)?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If I'm using the RCA plug version in my stereo amp, do I need two of them (one for each channel)?
Yes. Better buy a bunch and put them in series. Just to be sure!

composer

I'm no engineer, but according to the logic I wonder: why shall I spend 800$/€ for a device that doesn't improve the same thing done by a 300$/€ DAC?
Whether you put it before, after, above, below it doesn't provide any measurable improvement to the final output.
If there's no better output that's a well deserved picking panther

If ten people say they hear improvements, opposite to the objective data measuring none, the real scientist will investigate what brings such a flaw to human aural preception, and the process so as ear/brain correct and cheats itself.

FTB

Wonderful, 800 bucks for nothing.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm no engineer, but according to the logic I wonder: why shall I spend 800$/€ for a device that doesn't improve the same thing done by a 300$/€ DAC?
Whether you put it before, after, above, below it doesn't provide any measurable improvement to the final output.
If there's no better output that's a well deserved picking panther

If ten people say they hear improvements, opposite to the objective data measuring none, the real scientist will investigate what brings such a flaw to human aural preception, and the process so as ear/brain correct and cheats itself.
Careful. You're looking to destroy a large part of the audiophile equipment market.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Since years Amir generates measurements of audio devices, DACs in particular, showing flaws beyond
audible thresholds. If you'd follow Amirs (and his followers) logic: "all DuTs therefore sound the same",
it would basically imply there'd be no reason for having this forum at all anymore.
It's a good thing that Amir is testing. I see the tests on the DAC that Amir performs as an ok ( or not ok) stamp. That is, so ok low noise and distortion and straight FR that deviations that are measured are inaudible.:)

BUT that's not the only thing. Then there are other criteria to take into account, for example:
Functionality, reliability, durability, build quality, warranties, price, looks and so on. We can discuss that at ASR. It's good that we can do that, right?:)

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Is this the same Alan Gibb - aka one half of 'The Toothpaste Twins' (with Michael McClean) of the 1980's?

You reckon? I was thinking the BeeGees.

DSJR

Major Contributor
I wouldn't know about the upselling bit.
But in 70s and 80s, Naim amps almost had no peer, sure there were good amps about, but I did not know any amps that could happily drive low impedance loads, such as the Isobariks (e.g. Meridian couldn't). And sound good.
Oh there were, it's just that they came from the US mostly. I remember the Threshold Stasis amps around 1980 which drove 'briks to high power levels, the DC300A having gone back to pro use by this time. What about the Ampzilla, Dunlap Clarke and early Brystons - we had all of those before our gaze became more attuned to Salisbury (the bolt-up NAP250 was very sweet toned and nothing like the aggressive and harder toned CB cased version - all measurable I believe as the distortions weren't that low in level compared to today).

My GAWD we were brainwashed and sold aspirational expensive stereo's based around a then, highly flawed vinyl source which warmed up and balanced out the speaker-screamers we liked with that source. Someone I knew called these systems 'domesticated PA systems' and in the 80's he was right (digital sounded horrid with these systems I remember - and it wasn't the CD players!).

Krell introduced the KSA50 and 100 to the UK and although these weren't right either, they started a trend which Linn finished when they introduced their amp system, which was as flawed as a Naim but in the opposite direction (band limited again but safer tone which was far better on strings for example)

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is no "Rob Watts' Chord". Chord Electronics is owned by John Franks. Rob Watts is Consultant Digital Designer.

Edit: this has to be repeated so many times that perhaps some photos might help!
<https://chordelectronics.co.uk/our-team>
I didn´t say nor wanted to imply that Rob Watts is the owner or founder or any of that of Chord, but for sure he is the most prominent figure there, for good or for worse.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I didn´t say nor wanted to imply that Rob Watts is the owner or founder or any of that of Chord, but for sure he is the most prominent figure there, for good or for worse.
OK, but how else would someone take "In contrast to this almost namesake, Rob Watts´ Chord appears almost like a serious company!"?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since years Amir generates measurements of audio devices, DACs in particular, showing flaws beyond
audible thresholds. If you'd follow Amirs (and his followers) logic: "all DuTs therefore sound the same",
Yet. That's simply not the case. The devices do not sound the same. People keep buying new stuff.
If ten different people say there are, they hear, differences, as a scientist, you'd ask why is that!?!?
Even if one out of hundred says he experienced a difference it shouldn't be neglected. That's what science is all about.
It's fine to have a dissenting opinion, but if you want it to be taken seriously, the burden of proof is on you. Typical audiophile product comparisons are pretty sloppy: Sighted, only casual level matching done, significant delays in switching between DUTs, etc. Under those sorts of conditions, almost everything can seem to make an audible difference, but that doesn't necessarily make it true.

BTW, I've seen EE's fall into the same audiophile traps as anyone else ("I know it shouldn't make a difference, but I can hear it!").

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These days on ASR, Rob Watts gets mentioned (attacked?) on any thread, related or not!
Imagine if he designed poweramps that didn't live up to claimed power out levels - you guys would even have a bigger field-day !:facepalm: :)
He is more famous here on ASR than Amir himself - would you guys ever let go ??

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These days on ASR, Rob Watts gets mentioned (attacked?) on any thread, related or not!
Imagine if he designed poweramps that didn't live up to claimed power out levels - you guys would even have a bigger field-day !:facepalm: :)
He is more famous here on ASR than Amir himself - would you guys ever let go ??
Well for a start he could stop making ridiculous claims (-300dB) or releasing unnecessary and expensive products (MScaler). That would result in less talk about him.

Top Bottom