• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 314 86.3%

• Total voters

Bleib

Major Contributor
I'm pretty sure it's an outlier. We guarantee less than 0.5db deviation down to -40db attenuation. You can swap for a new one if you find yours outside the spec.
How could regular consumers verify this easily? Won't happen.

Veri

Master Contributor
So are tou saying that it is limited to 110V for the US version? Asking because most switched power adapters are 100-240V or so, and it looks a bit tiny for a real transformer. Thanks.
The device itself is not in any case limited, the supply however is not a switcher it is a little transformer supplying 15VAC:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/power-supply/power-supply-220-230v-ac-to-15v-1a-ac-p-15370.html this one is 230V.

Don't plug a DC supply into the L30, you'll break it ;) and if I'm not wrong BTW, both the JDS Atom and the Schiit Magni (heresy) also use VAC tranfos. See for example https://www.schiit.com/products/wall-warts

Bleib

Major Contributor
By listening? If an imbalance is noticeable enough to be an issue it is likely 0.5db or more.
You could have such variation on the headphones itself. I doubt most consumers would notice where the error lies.

BeerBear

How could regular consumers verify this easily? Won't happen.
You can play a mono signal through the HP out and record it with something that you know has good L-R balance, like Amir did. You don't need expensive gear for that, even a motherboard's line input can be good enough.
And you should test at various levels/positions, because an analog pot can vary a lot depending on how much it's turned.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Yeah, im in Poland. Only EX5 I can see is being sold used, which makes no sense for me as i can deduct it from VAT when new. I was also thinking about this sabaj combo reviewed here lately.
The SABAJ A20d Combo can also do MQA too (if you care) however its price is closer to that of the DX5 rather than the cheaper EX5.
By listening? If an imbalance is noticeable enough to be an issue it is likely 0.5db or more.
True, people can not generally hear imbalance below that point. So technically anyone can test this claim out. No measurements required.
You could have such variation on the headphones itself. I doubt most consumers would notice where the error lies.
That would be a pretty poor pair of headphones honestly.

selthier

They haven't announced one. However the Ex5 is pretty affordable right now and it has everything basically.
There is a new DX7 coming out though, Aug 23rd supposedly.
unfortunately EX5 still same price in my local seller shop, but i saw secondhand one at same price as DX3 pro+....from what i see EX5 is DX3 pro+ with a bit more powerful amp & XLR output?
and the new dx7 looks like gonna be too expensive for my office setup :(

and lol, i think many people become not sure what to buy because of this new L30 II

Opto

Hey guys !
Not sure if I can discuss this here, but I just got the DX3 Pro+ few days ago, jumping from a Soundblaster X3, to drive a DT 900 Pro X and a DT 1990 Pro, maybe an Edition XS later. I must say that I can't find a huge difference between the X3 and the DX3 Pro+ apart from volume control, I might have a ****** ear though, so I was wondering if maybe I should return the DX3 Pro+ and try this E30II+L30II stack instead ?
As @selthier said, this new option is entering pretty high in a lot of people watchlist, and that's great !
Thanks Amir for you wonderful work.

oscar_dziki

Hey guys !
Not sure if I can discuss this here, but I just got the DX3 Pro+ few days ago, jumping from a Soundblaster X3, to drive a DT 900 Pro X and a DT 1990 Pro, maybe an Edition XS later. I must say that I can't find a huge difference between the X3 and the DX3 Pro+ apart from volume control, I might have a ****** ear though, so I was wondering if maybe I should return the DX3 Pro+ and try this E30II+L30II stack instead ?
As @selthier said, this new option is entering pretty high in a lot of people watchlist, and that's great !
Perhaps Soundblaster is good enough for these headphones. They play bass and treble anyway:)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
unfortunately EX5 still same price in my local seller shop, but i saw secondhand one at same price as DX3 pro+....from what i see EX5 is DX3 pro+ with a bit more powerful amp & XLR output?
and the new dx7 looks like gonna be too expensive for my office setup :(

and lol, i think many people become not sure what to buy because of this new L30 II
EX5 has a more powerful amp, balanced output, MQA. It also has an integrated PSU.
I think that is it.
L30 II is nice but also basic.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hey guys !
Has the sound blaster been measured here? If it measures well, then it maybe already powerful enough for your headphones.
It also depends on what music you are listening to.

Opto

Has the sound blaster been measured here? If it measures well, then it maybe already powerful enough for your headphones.
It also depends on what music you are listening to.
Thanks guys for your answers !
I can't seem to find it if it's been reviewed.
I listen a lot of alternative rock, classic rock, modern pop, a lot of ost too. But mostly, and I should have said it before, I use my headphones to play games where positioning is crucial. And that's where I expected to see a great difference between the X3 and the DX3 Pro+...
But yeah, after all, if the Soundblaster gives ME the same thing, 100 or 200$ less, who cares but you always expect better performance from praised gear, and it's always disappointing to feel like you miss what other people like if you tend to prefer your old gear...
Thank you for your insight guys !

oscar_dziki

Thanks guys for your answers !
I can't seem to find it if it's been reviewed.
I listen a lot of alternative rock, classic rock, modern pop, a lot of ost too. But mostly, and I should have said it before, I use my headphones to play games where positioning is crucial. And that's where I expected to see a great difference between the X3 and the DX3 Pro+...
But yeah, after all, if the Soundblaster gives ME the same thing, 100 or 200$ less, who cares but you always expect better performance from praised gear, and it's always disappointing to feel like you miss what other people like if you tend to prefer your old gear...
Thank you for your insight guys !
At this point, amplification isn't the bottleneck. Maybe you should try Sennheisers 8** series for better positioning?

TK750

Sure that's possible but people are likely to have listened to the headphones on other devices and will notice a difference or would have other pairs of headphones to verify whether it is the headphones themselves or the amp. I think it's fairly easy to determine.

kondalord

hi guys, someone who bought the l30-II, could you tell me if the operating temperature is very high like its predecessor L30 v1 ?

thecity2

I just got a DX3+ and I have a JDS Labs Atom (the original not the new + edition). I’m wondering if my best listening experience would be a) via the DX3 headphone output directly b) DX3 connected to the Atom or c) DX3 connected to the L30 II.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I just got a DX3+ and I have a JDS Labs Atom (the original not the new + edition). I’m wondering if my best listening experience would be a) via the DX3 headphone output directly b) DX3 connected to the Atom or c) DX3 connected to the L30 II.
They should all be pretty close. Technically the DX3+ feeding the L30 II. However I don't think there would be an audible difference between the atom and the DX3+ in Most cases as they should technically be audibly transparent.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Which graph are you talking about? Where that is not the case.
"Distortion vs Power @ 32 ohm" has the equivalent of 50 mV SNR at 100u. The value is -95 dB, which corresponds to the previous records of 50 mV SNR.

oscar_dziki

What are the headphones. Honestly I'm surprised that anyone answered your question, without this info.

Top Bottom