• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping EX5 quieter after EQ mishap

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was tinkering with my parametric EQ on my Audeze LCD-2C when a slip of my fingers meant a 5dB boost became a 50dB boost at 1150Hz (Peace GUI maxed it out at +30dB, but still massively loud). The Audezes seem to have held up fine thankfully. But it appears something is wrong with the EX5, which became a lot quieter. Is there a chance I could have fried the EX5 or triggered its protection circuit?

Because since then, my Topping EX5 seems to be a lot quieter. Using my HD650 (which was not used during the EQ mishap), I need to switch to volume level 70 on high gain to get satisfactory SPLs, where usually I'd use about 60 on low gain. On low gain, I need almost 80 now. The sound subjectively sounds flatter and less dynamic as well but it could just as well be placebo, so I'll stick to concrete observations of the volume level.

Any idea why @JohnYang1997 or anyone else?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Best to check your Amp's output voltage yourself using a cheap multimeter and a 60Hz 0dBFS test tone.
Takes all the guesswork out of the equation.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure how useful that'd be unless I have measured it before this happened? Unless you mean to compare it against Amir's graphs?

Joachim Herbert

+3dB means doubling power. Go figure.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
+3dB means doubling power. Go figure.

It would definitely be well into clipping. It was that loud for maybe 5-10 seconds as I unsuccessfully fiddled with the PEQ in shock instead of reaching for the knob. I'm surprised the LCD-2Cs held up. Clipping that hard for that long - my concern is that its destructive because I'm not sure what sort of protection the EX5 has.

Cars-N-Cans

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure how useful that'd be unless I have measured it before this happened? Unless you mean to compare it against Amir's graphs?
You can measure the input voltage from the source as well as the amps output voltage. The two together will give you the effective gain of the amp.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
It would definitely be well into clipping. It was that loud for maybe 5-10 seconds as I unsuccessfully fiddled with the PEQ in shock instead of reaching for the knob. I'm surprised the LCD-2Cs held up. Clipping that hard for that long - my concern is that its destructive because I'm not sure what sort of protection the EX5 has.
On which gain stage whose EX5 in that moment? It's still soft clipping judging by your description (compressing) and on primary (lo) stage. Try to reset it to factory defaults and let it rest for couple of days. You raised gain requirement for 1024x on the hot frequency and it nedded to get down fast on every other but it couldn't lower voltage that fast instead it had amperage rise (to unsustainable level) while trying to hold voltage. I whose widely criticised by members here when describing such behaviour on power amplifier example where its much more obvious.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On which gain stage whose EX5 in that moment? It's still soft clipping judging by your description (compressing) and on primary (lo) stage. Try to reset it to factory defaults and let it rest for couple of days. You raised gain requirement for 1024x on the hot frequency and it nedded to get down fast on every other but it couldn't lower voltage that fast instead it had amperage rise (to unsustainable level) while trying to hold voltage. I whose widely criticised by members here when describing such behaviour on power amplifier example where its much more obvious.

It was on high gain for my Audezes. I drive my HD650s on low gain.

Interesting, are you sure you didn't go a bit deaf with how loud it is?

I ripped it off me after I got over the initial shock. Definitely possible.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It was on high gain for my Audezes. I drive my HD650s on low gain.

I ripped it off me after I got over the initial shock. Definitely possible.
Dang, definitely is possible then. Did it just happen today? If so maybe a day's rest will help you.
Alternatively you can definitely measure the voltage

RandomEar

Interesting, are you sure you didn't go a bit deaf with how loud it is?
That seems unlikely. Unless @Ilkless was listening at 90+ dB when fiddeling with the EQ, the resulting SPL would have been below the dangerous 120 dB threshold. It's possible there's some temporary "depression" of the hearing, but I don't think there should be lasting damage. Fingers crossed!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yes. Compare against Amir's, WolfX-700's, Topping's.

XLR Line out should be ~4.25Vrms at 0dBFS input.
RCA should be ~2.13
1/4" and 4pin XLR headphone out should both be ~6.35Vrms unloaded.

Cars-N-Cans

I stated earlier that the analog out and amp can be measured together to get the gain, but Topping makes it even easier as they give you all the specs at 0 dBFS.

1659574971313.jpeg

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That seems unlikely. Unless @Ilkless was listening at 90+ dB when fiddeling with the EQ, the resulting SPL would have been below the dangerous 120 dB threshold. It's possible there's some temporary "depression" of the hearing, but I don't think there should be lasting damage. Fingers crossed!

In hindsight I don't think I damaged the Audeze at all - Audeze specs max SPL at 130dB+. Going by Amir's distortion measurements across the Audeze lineup, I believe max SPL is indeed that high in the midrange where I was equalising. And I was listening at 95dB, at most, while equalising, but probably closer to 90.

I was also within the power envelope of the EX5 on high gain.

What is more likely is hearing damage/depression of acuity. I didn't think it had that much of an impact but I woke up to a sense of pressure and flowing liquid inside my ear, as well as a slight haziness. Booking an audiometry test.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
In hindsight I don't think I damaged the Audeze at all - Audeze specs max SPL at 130dB+. Going by Amir's distortion measurements across the Audeze lineup, I believe max SPL is indeed that high in the midrange where I was equalising. And I was listening at 95dB, at most, while equalising, but probably closer to 90.

What is more likely is hearing damage/depression of acuity. I didn't think it had that much of an impact but I woke up to a sense of pressure and flowing liquid inside my ear, as well as a slight haziness. Booking an audiometry test.
Really sorry to hear it man. Maybe it will repair itself...

Cars-N-Cans

I too would agree that its likely not the equipment, but do you have any other equipment you use on a daily basis for comparison that does not use either the amp or the headphones (I know you mentioned you tried the 560S' with the amp)? I would not rule out the Audeze completely. I have had issues with tension loss in planars when overdriving them, and one aspect of it was compression in the audio.

The audiometry test will be helpful, but to my knowledge the standard is not super comprehensive since it only covers up to 8 kHz so it wont rule out damage, but more state that you have not suffered any major hearing loss. Rather unfortunate since its not true peace of mind. But still if its normal than maybe its just a perceptual or temporary issue that will pass.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I too would agree that its likely not the equipment, but do you have any other equipment you use on a daily basis for comparison that does not use either the amp or the headphones (I know you mentioned you tried the 560S' with the amp)? I would not rule out the Audeze completely. I have had issues with tension loss in planars when overdriving them, and one aspect of it was compression in the audio.

My partner has a Motu M2. Not much power but should be good enough to drive the Audeze to a decent level given the resistive load. I listened to the Audeze once through it.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
My partner has a Motu M2. Not much power but should be good enough to drive the Audeze to a decent level given the resistive load. I listened to the Audeze once through it.
Yea... My wife says if you have pressure + liquid that your ear drum has damage. She says many kids have come through her OR to have tubes placed for drains and other work due to sinus pressure.
She doesn't know though the procedure for adults and if there is anything that can be done. However liquid + pressure is a sure sign of damage.

Cars-N-Cans

Wouldn't hurt to try out the 560S as well, fwiw.

Also if its hearing loss it may only be temporary. In the course of working on cars I have had unplanned "incidents" that resulted in temporary hearing loss, but after a few days it resolved. If you plan to get a hearing test ASAP, it might not hurt to book a follow-up if the first one shows any issues as the issues could resolve spontaneously over time.

Top Bottom