• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A8 Mini Amplifier Class D "Subjective review"

robertospeed

Introducing Aiyima A8 - Mini Class D Amplifier

IMG_20220214_095339.jpg
IMG_20220214_095408.jpg
IMG_20220214_095440.jpg

Power Supply 24V 4.5A

IMG_20220214_101147.jpg
IMG_20220214_101100.jpg

Product description:
Power amplifier chip: Infineon MA12070
Maximum output power: 80W * 2 (4Ω load)
Speaker impedance: 4-8Ω (left and right channels)
Signal to Noise Ratio: ≥100db
Distortion: <0.1 (when outputting 1W)
Input sensitivity: 1.4V
Frequency response: 20-20Khz (± 3db)
Input mode: RCA
Power supply: DC15-24V
Size: 300 * 230 * 65mm

Screenshot 2022-02-14 at 11-14-02.png

So I want to clarify that my purpose here is not to sell the product, but to do my own review personal of this Aiyima A8 and to share with you my experiences with these mini Chinese boxes, a I like to buy and test these cheap Chinese products and it amuses me a lot and I like it very much, I also did a review of Aiyima D03.

But let's move on to Aiyima A8, this very small class D amplifier has no remote control and therefore more suitable for Desktop use, but if you want you can buy its companion Aiyima T8 which has the remote control and works as a preamplifier and USB DAC to be connected to a PC, Tablet, Smartphone, bluetooth or other ...

IMG_20220214_095907.jpg
IMG_20220214_095755.jpg

I tested Aiyima A8 with these electronics, Speakers: Dali Spektor 1, DAC: Aiyima DAC A6, Subwoofer Active Elac DEBUT S10.2

IMG_20220214_095103.jpg

CONNECTIONS:

IMG_20220214_094413.jpg

IMG_20220214_094356.jpg

connection.png

I must say that despite the Dali Spektor 1 loudspeakers even if they are small they are difficult to drive, but Aiyima A8 manages to drive them well, however I want to clarify that Aiyima A8 is less powerful than Aiyima D03 which I had reviewed here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...03-class-d-amplifier-subjective-review.25686/

For an everyday amp it's fine and for the price it sounds good, a warm full-bodied sound like Aiyima D03 but even more delicate and sweet but less powerful.

All inputs are clean, including the RCA which is better than the D03.

I tried to activate the BASS BOOST, as you can see from the photo, there are 2 small levers that serve to increase the bass, honestly I prefer not to activate the BASS BOOST because the speakers they become too booming and not pleasant to listen to, then it depends on your tastes and what type of speakers go put.

IMG_20220214_110128.jpg

Also tested with the Q Acoustic 3050i which are easy to drive speakers and Aiyima A8 performed very well, a much more powerful and pleasant sound than the small Dali Spektor 1 + Elac Subwoofers

IMG_20210728_143513.jpg

Well what can I tell you, for desktop use with small desk speakers and active subwoofer, this small one Aiyima A8 is the best for me, and you can place it wherever you want with its small size…. Therefore I recommend Aiyima A8 for Desktop use… and for its low selling price.

IMG_20220214_114017.jpg

IMG_20220210_172738.jpg

Attachments

• connection.png
    connection.png
    731.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
You bought a very fashionable amp.
And thank you for uploading a lot of photos.

I think the feature of AIYIMA A8 is the amplifier chip of Infineon MA12070 used. I first encountered this amp chip when I bought the SMSL SA300. I completely fell in love with the smooth, high-resolution sound that came out. I was so absorbed in buying two more SA300s after that.

I wasn't satisfied with the manufacturer's products alone, so I bought several MA12070 amp boards from China, assembled the amps myself, and enjoyed the sound. At the same time, I also learned how difficult it is to handle this amp chip.

After that, I bought SMSL DA-9, AO200, SABAJ A20a, Topping PA3s, and now I mainly use AO200, PA3s, and PA5 (TPA3255).

The output power of the MA12070 is not very high, but the sound that comes out is very attractive and I like it.
I think the sound of A8 is a little different from the sound of A07 of the same AIYIMA. The TPA3255 of the A07 has a strong extruded feeling and a slightly rough masculine sound, while the A8 has a delicate, high resolution and smooth sound quality, and I feel it is a slightly feminine sound. I like both sounds very much.
The A8 has a modern design with a red knob and looks great no matter where you put it. It is cheap and easy to buy. I think it's good to compare it side by side with A07.

The BRZ HiFi brand sells two types of MA12070 chip amplifiers, but we do not recommend this product. I bought both of them, but they were not stable and broke immediately.

Shawk

Great impressions. I actually have a very similar setup to OP. I am using Spektor 1 with the A8 and T8 combination. I also tried the A07 and T8.
It is true that it is a serviceable setup, however I honestly think it does not provide any sound improvements over run off the mill active speakers for a desktop.

Desktop_Aiyima.jpg

Earlier I had Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 and a Marantz receiver. Had to downgrade to make my desk height adjustable. Since then I have longing feelings back to the sound environment I had. As I am not satisfied with the sound of the Spektor 1 I tried multiple things. First off I used the adjustments via Equalizer APO that are posted in this forum for the Spektors. I added a SVS SB-1000. I tried different replacement speakers, like Opticon 1 MK1 and MK2, Q Acoustics Concept 20, Dynaudio Emit M10, Nubert NuLine 24 and even a more expensive integrated Nubert AmpX to replace the Aiyima. I even, just because I am such a nerd with this, I downloaded a trial version of Dirac Live and used it to adjust the sound to my listening position.

But to enjoy a nearfield listening position at a desktop, nothing of the above mentioned comes close to speakers designed specifically for that purpose. Listening e.g. to Abacus C-Box 3 active speakers, a local german boutique brand, I can honestly say they provide exactly the feeling of being inside the music that all the others could not. With resolution, bass and clarity that the others could not reach. So that's where my setup is going. The Spektors and the Aiyima Amps will go, and be replaced by a combination of the Abacus and the Aiyima T8 (because the volume control via knob and remote is so convenient on a desk).

The Aiyimas are fun to play with though, I completely concur with OP there.

OP
robertospeed

robertospeed

Great impressions. I actually have a very similar setup to OP. I am using Spektor 1 with the A8 and T8 combination. I also tried the A07 and T8.
It is true that it is a serviceable setup, however I honestly think it does not provide any sound improvements over run off the mill active speakers for a desktop.

View attachment 187996

Earlier I had Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 and a Marantz receiver. Had to downgrade to make my desk height adjustable. Since then I have longing feelings back to the sound environment I had. As I am not satisfied with the sound of the Spektor 1 I tried multiple things. First off I used the adjustments via Equalizer APO that are posted in this forum for the Spektors. I added a SVS SB-1000. I tried different replacement speakers, like Opticon 1 MK1 and MK2, Q Acoustics Concept 20, Dynaudio Emit M10, Nubert NuLine 24 and even a more expensive integrated Nubert AmpX to replace the Aiyima. I even, just because I am such a nerd with this, I downloaded a trial version of Dirac Live and used it to adjust the sound to my listening position.

But to enjoy a nearfield listening position at a desktop, nothing of the above mentioned comes close to speakers designed specifically for that purpose. Listening e.g. to Abacus C-Box 3 active speakers, a local german boutique brand, I can honestly say they provide exactly the feeling of being inside the music that all the others could not. With resolution, bass and clarity that the others could not reach. So that's where my setup is going. The Spektors and the Aiyima Amps will go, and be replaced by a combination of the Abacus and the Aiyima T8 (because the volume control via knob and remote is so convenient on a desk).

The Aiyimas are fun to play with though, I completely concur with OP there.
The Dali Spektor 1 placed above the desk sounds bad, but placed on the wooden pedestals they sound great and if you sit about 2.5 meters or 3 meters away they feel great, the Dali Spektor 2 feels even better with more sound large and with more bass, but on close listening and placed on a desk, no speaker can ever be heard well.

Bleib

Major Contributor
"Frequency response: 20-20Khz (±3db)"
That doesn't sound very linear

Bleib

Major Contributor

Bleib

Major Contributor
-3dB at each extreme is a loss of 50%...

Absolutely dreadful spec if it isn't another misprint.
True, but it might not be noticeable as most speakers do not go down to 20hz and most can't hear above 19khz or whatever anyway. But it's not ideal either as it cannot be seen as a neutral sounding product.

gfx_1

I got an A8 today, partly because the A/B amplifier is running pretty hot in the summer and partly just curiosity.

I paired it with a Topping D50s because that was laying around so far no complaints except wires and not
enough space in the desk with no easy switching between amplifiers.

Measured the power usage with a cheap Wattmeter OFF it uses 0.0 - 0.2 Watt ON it's 1.5 Watt with a reasonable volume.
Got it on smile.amazon.de with a discount coupon (just a tick) for 81.34 euro incl. 21% tax.

The DAC uses about 1.6 Watt so with the dramatic increase in electricity prices it pays for itself :cool:
I do like the warmth in the winter though.

Ryuji

Hi all, a question for those who own the amplifier in topic: is there any hiss or noise at high volume and without sources connected?

gfx_1

Hi all, a question for those who own the amplifier in topic: is there any hiss or noise at high volume and without sources connected?
With my ear on the tweeter (pictured on the left) I hear a very soft hissing noise it goes up a tiny bit when maxed out.
Way less than some powered monitors.

gfx_1

I made a switchbox from a sturdy 2-way 4-pole switch and stuff I had laying around to compare two amplifiers on one set of speakers.
Both are fed from the same source. The class A/B amplifier which I really like can play louder but for desktop
use (60 dB according to the dB app on the phone) the difference is really difficult to hear. I can't identify which one is playing...

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You bought a very fashionable amp.
And thank you for uploading a lot of photos.

I think the feature of AIYIMA A8 is the amplifier chip of Infineon MA12070 used. I first encountered this amp chip when I bought the SMSL SA300. I completely fell in love with the smooth, high-resolution sound that came out. I was so absorbed in buying two more SA300s after that.

I wasn't satisfied with the manufacturer's products alone, so I bought several MA12070 amp boards from China, assembled the amps myself, and enjoyed the sound. At the same time, I also learned how difficult it is to handle this amp chip.

After that, I bought SMSL DA-9, AO200, SABAJ A20a, Topping PA3s, and now I mainly use AO200, PA3s, and PA5 (TPA3255).

The output power of the MA12070 is not very high, but the sound that comes out is very attractive and I like it.
I think the sound of A8 is a little different from the sound of A07 of the same AIYIMA. The TPA3255 of the A07 has a strong extruded feeling and a slightly rough masculine sound, while the A8 has a delicate, high resolution and smooth sound quality, and I feel it is a slightly feminine sound. I like both sounds very much.
The A8 has a modern design with a red knob and looks great no matter where you put it. It is cheap and easy to buy. I think it's good to compare it side by side with A07.

The BRZ HiFi brand sells two types of MA12070 chip amplifiers, but we do not recommend this product. I bought both of them, but they were not stable and broke immediately.
Toku: Just curious if you have tried the recently-released SMSL AO100 amp, which also uses this Infineon chip. I quite like mine. Not as powerful as the Aiyima a07, but very nice for use in a second system/background use...

OP
robertospeed

robertospeed

Toku: Just curious if you have tried the recently-released SMSL AO100 amp, which also uses this Infineon chip. I quite like mine. Not as powerful as the Aiyima a07, but very nice for use in a second system/background use...

gfx_1

The volume control knob of the A8 is now noisy. :(

Toku

Major Contributor
The volume control knob of the A8 is now noisy. :(
What are the symptoms?
Does the speaker make noise when you turn the knob? "Or does the knob rub against something when you turn it?"

gfx_1

What are the symptoms?
Does the speaker make noise when you turn the knob? "Or does the knob rub against something when you turn it?"
Speaker makes noises when turning the knob, bit the same as an amp from the seventies with cheap rotating resistor. I will try cleaning it.

Top Bottom