• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping D50 DAC

Guermantes

I can't tell if someone thinks a DAC sounds better than another. The only thing I can objectively say, is that it measures well, or better in certain metrics. My subjective opinion should be worthless to you in it of itself, it's only valid if a large group of people share the same opinion and the error of measurement is low enough for it not to matter.

Remember, we're at audio SCIENCE review, not audio opinion review.

Yes, it's also a matter of a shared language. When @decebalus (or others) use terms such as "cold", "analytical" or "digital" are they contrasting these apparent negatives with something positive? Such as:

Negative <--> Positive
cold <--> warm​
analytical <--> synthetic, vague, fuzzy (?)​
digital <--> analogue​
These are obviously being used metaphorically but if we don't have a shared understanding of what they mean how do we expect to communicate an experience? And how do these oppositions reveal a particular perspective on what "sounds good"?

celander

Hi, I’m new to this forum. Read amirm’s review and most of the 73 pages of comments. If one intends to use this DAC with a preamp to control volume, is it best to run the D50 at max output (0.00 dBFS)?

svetdts

I have a question for everyone.

I bought two D50s. S / N is 1710 and 1807.
Neither D50 will work with COAX connection. UNLOCK will be displayed and then the power will be turned OFF.
However, switching COAX cable to D10, DX7s, SMSL SU-8 works without any problems.
OPT connection also works without problems.
The operating status is the same before and after the firmware up.

Does your D50 work with COAX connection?
My d50 has the same problem - it does not work with COAX connection. Maybe this is a defect?

Toku

Major Contributor
My d50 has the same problem - it does not work with COAX connection. Maybe this is a defect?
I reported the problem before.

I think that this problem is due to incorrect setting of the reception signal level of Topping D50 or misconfiguration.
My two D50s have already gone to other places and can not be examined.
However, I was relieved that someone noticed this problem besides me.

There are other problems as well.
If you play a song of PCM 384k after playing a song other than PCM 384k, a big pop noise will occur.
This problem is also common to D50 DX7s DX3 Pro.

I think these problems should be reported to Topping.

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi, I’m new to this forum. Read amirm’s review and most of the 73 pages of comments. If one intends to use this DAC with a preamp to control volume, is it best to run the D50 at max output (0.00 dBFS)?
To connect to the preamplifier then it is better to use 0.00 dBFS.

gorg

I reported the problem before.

I think that this problem is due to incorrect setting of the reception signal level of Topping D50 or misconfiguration.
My two D50s have already gone to other places and can not be examined.
However, I was relieved that someone noticed this problem besides me.

There are other problems as well.
If you play a song of PCM 384k after playing a song other than PCM 384k, a big pop noise will occur.
This problem is also common to D50 DX7s DX3 Pro.

I think these problems should be reported to Topping.
I tried to hook up PC spdif-out and CD-player spdif-out. Both worked fine (S/N 1807).

SegaCD

My D50 just arrived, but I've found one channel is significantly quieter (around 3db) than the other channel. Has anyone ever encountered this? Is there a service menu with adjustments or some internal pots I could adjust? Trying to avoid RMA-ing it after waiting over a month for it to arrive...

I tried a few different power supplies (5V/1A on TV, a well-built Anker, PC USB output). I also I tried it via USB (PC) and optical (TV output) inputs with identical results. Its on the most recent firmware (1.02) that it came out of the box with. My amplifier works fine with other inputs so it's not my amp. It's a shame because it sounds great if I compensate for the volume difference.

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
My Topping D50 arrived yesterday. I set it up for coax connection only. Worked out of the box. I’m using a battery pack for power.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/chLj3WdJiSAu5Kid6
The voltage of Portable Charger's battery is 3.7V.
It is stepping up 3.7V to 5.0V with the DC-DC Switching converter.
So it is the same as AC-Switcing Power Supply. The noise level of the output is high with a simple circuit.

If you want to drive the battery, it is better to use the following NIHM battery. There is no noise.
One cell has 1.2V and four in series. I am using 7.2V/4000mAh for R/C model.
I used a diode dropper connected in series to 7.2V and lowered it to 5V.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=mobile&field-keywords=NiHM+Battery
https://www.amazon.com/Racers-Edge-...d=1544923273&sr=8-8&keywords=r/c+battery+pack

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Toku

Major Contributor
My D50 just arrived, but I've found one channel is significantly quieter (around 3db) than the other channel. Has anyone ever encountered this? Is there a service menu with adjustments or some internal pots I could adjust? Trying to avoid RMA-ing it after waiting over a month for it to arrive...

I tried a few different power supplies (5V/1A on TV, a well-built Anker, PC USB output). I also I tried it via USB (PC) and optical (TV output) inputs with identical results. Its on the most recent firmware (1.02) that it came out of the box with. My amplifier works fine with other inputs so it's not my amp. It's a shame because it sounds great if I compensate for the volume difference.
Is there no change even if you exchange the left and right of the RCA cable connected to D50? Is the channel with the low signal level the same?

SegaCD

Is there no change even if you exchange the left and right of the RCA cable connected to D50? Is the channel with the low signal level the same?
Unfortunately, swapping the RCA cables only switches the affected channel. Jiggling the sockets doesn't seem to help either so it doesn't seem to be a cold solder joint...

Toku

Major Contributor
Have you tested the COAX output of multiple devices?

Unfortunately, in my audio environment COX output is Sony's Blu-Ray Player only. I have not tested the connection with other equipment.

decebalus

I can't tell if someone thinks a DAC sounds better than another. The only thing I can objectively say, is that it measures well, or better in certain metrics. My subjective opinion should be worthless to you in it of itself, it's only valid if a large group of people share the same opinion and the error of measurement is low enough for it not to matter.

Remember, we're at audio SCIENCE review, not audio opinion review.

there's many things that doesn't make sense in you're speech but common sense is not for everyone, is it ?
For sure i don't want to keep going this with you is worthless but,

i must say that for me is clear that we are at audio science review i'm wondering is clear for you as well or you thought that suddenly is audio ROEN review ?

look whatever, don't worry is fine, be happy

gorg

Have you tested the COAX output of multiple devices?

Unfortunately, in my audio environment COX output is Sony's Blu-Ray Player only. I have not tested the connection with other equipment.
Did you set Audio (HDMI) / Digital Audio Output (or similar) to PCM?

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
there's many things that doesn't make sense in you're speech but common sense is not for everyone, is it ?
For sure i don't want to keep going this with you is worthless but,

i must say that for me is clear that we are at audio science review i'm wondering is clear for you as well or you thought that suddenly is audio ROEN review ?

look whatever, don't worry is fine, be happy

I’m pretty sure you’ve entirely missed my point about objectivity and a common, immutable standard of comparison with this post.

It’s not about me, it’s about the fact that numbers will always be number and mean exactly what they mean, contrasted to opinions which are changing among members, not consistent and difficult to reliably offer as advice to the entire member population.

Top Bottom