• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My way (DIY JBL)

rajapruk

Forum Donor
I've lived a life that's full.
I've traveled each and every highway.
And more, much more than this.
I did it my way.

E9F6B3D1-1A92-4E32-8E20-8C300AD83E62.jpeg

As Sinatra sings. But more specifically, I did it as a 3.5 way!

My speakers are DIY (based on JBL 4365 Studio Monitor parts). A carpenter built the cabinetts for me. I designed them.
@pos has been helping me with the crossover design. Without him I had not pulled this off. Merci beaucoup!

Active crossover. Closed boxes. Designed to be able to be placed deep into corners. Modular for flexibility.

Woofer boxes are built with constrained layer damping (2x12mm mdf with damping glue in between).

Electronics:
OPPO BDP-103 with 7.1 AES3 digital outputs (VanityHD modification)
BSS BLU-160 dsp (AES3 input/output cards)
BSS BLU-BOB2 8-channel dac
4 x Hypex nCore nc400 DIY amps driving 15" woofers
2 x MASSDROP x THX AAA789 amps driving compression drivers

Closeup on left speaker:
398E0C81-8AF1-428C-BFD4-460482D4B22D.jpeg

I found this forum recently, and I love it. I try to be as objective as I can regarding audio.

Now when I have the chance, I also want to thank @JohnPM, @AndrewMason and @Floyd Toole for indirectly helping me make this system sing the way it does (without knowing it). :)

I am extremely happy with my system. It does not sound like a system (to me). It sounds real (gives me that illusion). And still, there are endless room for improvements. I never want this system to be totally finished actually. Amps and dacs will be upgraded in the future, I think. Also MTM configuration will be tested.

Just for the fun of it.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Very nice...

Dogen

Forum Donor
Well done! Lots of power from those Crowns into what I imagine to be very sensitive speakers. Do you know the sensitivity? Anyway, I guess you can go pretty loud and clear if you want to.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Nice room, outlook and setup. Well done!

What's the little boxes on the wall with the bird/s on it? Extractor fans or something?

Wombat

Master Contributor

Attachments

• JBL 4365 ts.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 2,211
OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Nice room, outlook and setup. Well done!

What's the little boxes on the wall with the bird/s on it? Extractor fans or something?

Thanks!

Ventilation. No fans, just a variable hole to the outside.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Awesome job, I bet they sound awesome with tremendous speed and impact.
Woo Hoo

OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Well done! Lots of power from those Crowns into what I imagine to be very sensitive speakers. Do you know the sensitivity? Anyway, I guess you can go pretty loud and clear if you want to.

I do not know the exact sensitivity. The speaker correction EQ eats a lot of sensitivity due to closed boxes for the woofers. But it plays loud enough for me. I have about 6dB headroom left when watching dynamic movie on the absolute highest volume I can tolerate.
(It is the headphone amps that sets the limit of my SPL, I think)

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I have about 6dB headroom left when watching dynamic movie on the absolute highest volume I can tolerate.
Beware hearing damage. Old age and it's normal losses sneak up fast enough as it is. ;)

OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Beware hearing damage. Old age and it's normal losses sneak up fast enough as it is. ;)

Yes. It is a property of this kind of system: playing very loud does not feel loud to the ears.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yes. It is a property of this kind of system: playing very loud does not feel loud to the ears.

Too true. :) Seems to be a property of good high sensitivity drivers.

OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Some pics of the internals of my babies.

Attachments

• hornl%C3%A5da%20under.JPG
    hornl%C3%A5da%20under.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 255
  • hornl%C3%A5da.JPG
    hornl%C3%A5da.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 256
  • l%C3%A5da%202.PNG
    l%C3%A5da%202.PNG
    176.4 KB · Views: 249
  • l%C3%A5da%201.PNG
    l%C3%A5da%201.PNG
    223.9 KB · Views: 305
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 292
  •  .PNG
    .PNG
    121.9 KB · Views: 271
  • Laminering.jpg
    Laminering.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 264
  • 3DD2CA13-409E-4557-A546-FBAEEDCD011E.jpeg
    3DD2CA13-409E-4557-A546-FBAEEDCD011E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 302
Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think it is a property of low distortion.
Agreed, there's just an ease and cleanlyness to the sound that makes high levels more comfortable than they should be at times. ;)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Agreed, there's just an ease and cleanlyness to the sound that makes high levels more comfortable than they should be at times. ;)

Agree.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Awesome, excellent designed and executed.
I wonder though if the speakeris reverse engineered, or the design is completely open source?

OP
R

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Awesome, excellent designed and executed.
I wonder though if the speakeris reverse engineered, or the design is completely open source?

I do not get what you mean.
The design of these speakers is not reverse engineered from something else. I designed it with a blank paper as a start.
There were several alternative designs I did. From the start I wanted a rounded backside, but that was too expensive to build. I also wanted to have the option of placing the horn vertically (like JBL 1400 Array).

I have told my carpenter that he can build this boxes and sell to others if someone should want them. But this design is so specific to the JBL H4365 horn I think, and those horns are totally unavailable for anyone to source, so I am not expecting it to happen.

Top Bottom