• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec S360 Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 113 35.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 188 59.7%

• Total voters

Newman

Major Contributor
Good question. I do not. The sides are rounded. Only the top is not.
So does that argue against the case for having ultra-curvy cabinets?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Traditional-to-Genelec ;)
I was picking on you a bit but interesting discussion none the less. For a 45 years old company that always have been at the fore front of design and innovation, In the grand scheme of thing those egg speakers and Coax drivers are just a small period. I find it interresting that they would loop back to how people have always been making speakers. Just for SPL, maybe, but still we should see where they are going because if anything Genelec know what they are doing.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Regarding the price - sold through a domestic audio dealer chain, the retail price would almost double I suspect - pro distributors don't make as much I remember...

Chunky boxes still needing tall stands to get the listening axis just right. Not much waf in that aspect around these parts ;)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The S360 is a great problem solver for larger listening distances and/or higher reflective rooms like in typical home stereo or home cinema setups where you usually need more expensive main monitors for sufficient direct sound:

index.php

The horizontal directivity of the S360A is a bit smoother than the 8361A one on below comparable S&R tests and the S360A vertical higher directivity of the elliptical waveguide can be an advantage for large listening distances and/or not treated rooms, 8361A is more a midfield studio monitor and S360A more a great solution for typical living rooms and home theatres.

Here also some comments from their engineer

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No CSD?

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The white with the black hole looks like...

I think I prefer the studio look, as opposed to the bunghole motif.

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
I like both the look of this (in black/white or black) and the studio look (in black).
If I am ever to buy desktop speakers, it will probably be Genelec.

Cars-N-Cans

@amirm do you see anything in your review that would suggest there are any consequences of moving away from the curve-egg-alinear traditional cabinet to the relatively square S360?
There is perhaps a slight hint of diffraction in the S360's horizontal dispersion that does not show up in the 8361A, but if the enclosure is the source of it, its so slight even by measurements standards. I couldn't see it being an issue from a listening standpoint. Given the large waveguide for the tweeter I'm sure they have carefully accounted for controlling everything from a design perspective to ensure the more boxy enclosure doesn't impact performance. In my humble opinion, the lack of coaxial drivers will probably have more of a potential impact as it restricts one to being fairly close to the tweeter axis, but that's pretty much a universal issue with any conventional two-way design. Still, it was one aspect that could be useful in that the coaxial gives you a little more latitude in seating position with respect to height. But, I like the more conventional look of it, even if its still astronomically priced by enthusiast standards.

Cars-N-Cans

Not this one. It is made of MDF (32 mm front) as per fairaudio.de test.
Ah, thanks. That’s slightly disappointing. Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, but I kind of liked aluminum enclosures. Still exceptional performance either way, but I wonder if cost reduction factored in as well? Either that or the thing would have been so heavy that it would need to come with lift points to move it, not to mention having a large casting with internal features to deal with in production.

Draki

Ah, thanks. That’s slightly disappointing. Not that it really matters in the grand scheme of things, but I kind of liked aluminum enclosures. Still exceptional performance either way, but I wonder if cost reduction factored in as well? Either that or the thing would have been so heavy that it would need to come with lift points to move it, not to mention having a large casting with internal features to deal with in production.
probably both :)

Cars-N-Cans

Aluminium enclosure probably would weigh 70kg, easy.
I'm sure it would be quite heavy, indeed. Probably one enclosure would have as much aluminum as a pair of large cylinder heads from an engine.
probably both :)
Yeah makes sense especially since they are going with a larger form factor for greater SPLs. I wonder how well the MDF will hold up in professional settings compared to the monitors with aluminum enclosures?

Azathoth

Looks nice with the white and black scheme. But 66kgs? I can work out my legs with this!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The directivity slope is quite drastic for a company that usually makes studio monitors.

10dB from 100Hz to 20KHz is no joke. This would be a bit too dry for me if i listened at long distances.

Puddingbuks

Forum Donor
First of all, fantastic that genelec supplies amir with this unit. Shows great confidence in their products.

Which one would you prefer, this S360 or the Neumann KH420?

Draki

If it can be reasonably presumed that the bass/mid driver is PHL 3411 (or a variant OEM-ed for Genelec based on it), any pointers as to what is used for the HF?

Newman

Major Contributor
Aluminium enclosure probably would weigh 70kg, easy.
If it was 1/4 the thickness of the MDF, it would weigh the same or slightly less.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Regarding the price - sold through a domestic audio dealer chain, the retail price would almost double I suspect - pro distributors don't make as much I remember...

Chunky boxes still needing tall stands to get the listening axis just right. Not much waf in that aspect around these parts ;)
I doubt that a domestic audio dealer would have them but "music Instrument" retail chain will and they will have it at MSRP normally. Pro distributors don't take so much it's true but this should be retail price. Anyway recording studios are in most case considered end users and are not necessarily able to buy direct from distributors, they will tipycally just need two just like anybody.

Top Bottom