• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audeze LCD-XC Review (Closed-back Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 76 40.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 94 50.5%

• Total voters

04gto

@04gto Wow, I'm happy to hear someone say that the XC is their favorite headphone. So often it is overshadowed by the X. I have less than a month with my new XC and I love it of course! I know it's not fair to compare open backed vs. closed back but I can't help compare it to the X. They have more differences than one might think before hearing them side by side.

I bought mine for the sole purpose of tracking but I was also secretly hoping I'd enjoy them for leisure and mixing/mastering and so far I am going back and forth between my X and XC. I'm finding the XC to be less forgiving than the X of faulty recordings and so therefore a valuable tool in proofing my own drafts.

I'm eqing almost constantly (I think I stirred up a small hornets nest over on Head-fi, Ooops!...I just HAD to add my two cents on EQ though). I've found @Resolve's EQ to be a GREAT place for me to start from. I find myself using most of his filters in my own profile. It's been strange though not having @oratory1990's measurements and resulting profile to work with. (hint, hint Oratory!) Thank you for sharing yours, @04gto, I found it very helpful! You start your bass shelf a bit higher than others I've seen, interesting!

But I'm curious, what makes the XC preferable to your X (I believe I saw you owned an X in your Head-fi "Hardware Profile") in your opinion? Just interested in how someone other than myself compares them.

Thanks,
-J
They really are both amazing headphones. The XC is a little more flatly tuned, for my purposes it is a blank canvas. That is why I love it so much. With EQ it can be just about any headphone I want it to be. I do agree that the XC comes across as a little more technical and unforgiving of some recordings. The X (no matter how EQ'd) seems just a tad warmer. I do generally prefer closed backs though, not only for isolation, but also for a bit more present and impactful bass.

I saw your EQ related posts on Head-fi. I l looked on with a smirk and amusement. I have been at the center of a few 'hornets nests' over there myself regarding EQ. I get really tired of these so called 'audiophiles' (with zero professional audio experience) acting like they are the absolute authority on everything audio. It is perfectly okay to disagree or be someone who prefers no EQ. But it is not okay to make up your own facts about EQ, like these 'audiophiles'. EQ makes nearly everything sound better. I am right there with you, I EQ everything. It is very nice to meet like-minded music and EQ lovers like yourself!

Last edited:

Jonne Haven

Yay! And from "the man" himself! Thankyou. For the life of me I still can't find the link for the post 2021 version on the reddit site. Here's where I've been looking :

Is this link out of date or something?

Thanks again, man, I really appreciate and respect your work!

-J

Last edited:

Jonne Haven

A question for everyone.
Do you have anything to say about the Rupert Neve RNHP or a comparable amp coupled to the LCD-XC or LCD-X? I do some crazy EQing to my LCD-XC that taxes my system for power. In other words certain songs with emphasized sub, sub bass distort my system and my LCD-XC at listenable levels. Also tracking with them really tests the limits of my setup. I’m wondering if an amp like the Rupert Neve could give me like 6dB more of clean/undistorted volume. That would be priceless to me. If it makes everything sound better that’s of course a plus too!
:slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!
Blessings,
-J

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today, I was at CanJam London, and had the opportunity to listen to some gear.
I keep it short! the LCD XC was the one headphone, that blew me away!
The sound was spot on, and I heard it with no EQ, with my own Hugo2 that managed to drive them well, very loudly.
It is true, no distortion at all as you push them, fantastic.
Mind you, they sounded flat and screechy with the amp on the table that Audeze had provided.
I believe it was Burson Funk (Edit: Conductor 3 reference actually, from pictures)!
Otherwise, the headphones were fantastic, saving up for one!

Last edited:

Jonne Haven

Today, I was at CanJam London, and had the opportunity to listen to some gear.
I keep it short! the LCD XC was the one headphone, that blew me away!
The sound was spot on, and I heard it with no EQ, with my own Hugo2 that managed to drive them well, very loudly.
It is true, no distortion at all as you push them, fantastic.
Mind you, they sounded flat and screechy with the amp on the table that Audeze had provided.
I believe it was Burson Funk (Edit: Conductor 3 reference actually, from pictures)!
Otherwise, the headphones were fantastic, saving up for one!
I think it's awesome that the LCD-XC impressed you so!

I love mine along with my LCD-X which leads me to the question, did you have a chance to try an LCD-X? Trust me I'm not trying to sway your decision I just like to hear the opinions of others when it comes to comparing the two HPs.

My X and XC blast me to the moon!

Blessings,
-J

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How was the mm500?
My reply to the same question.

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Recently auditioned these at a dealer in Atlanta, they do not sound closed back, very impressed... but I ended up buying a pair of Audeze LCD-2 Closed back, lighter and very close for lot less money.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anybody tell me the shipping size and weight of LCD-XC? (including carton etc.)
Thanx in advance.

Carlo2AC

For the record, couldn't wait any longer, I had to have one.
One ordered yesterday, waiting to get my hands on it.
Damn Audeze! :facepalm:
hahahahahahaha

with the case they come to more than a kilo, importing them are a nightmare compared to something like DCA

weight won't be just on my neck but on my pockets too :D

Peterinvan

hahahahahahaha

with the case they come to more than a kilo, importing them are a nightmare compared to something like DCA

weight won't be just on my neck but on my pockets too :D
LCD-XC (2019) 730 gms!

I love my old "woodies". The weight is not a problem if reclining with head support (e.g. La-Z-Boy).

Carlo2AC

LCD-XC (2019) 730 gms!

I love my old "woodies". The weight is not a problem if reclining with head support (e.g. La-Z-Boy).

Good thing that you loved them buy why did you quote me? his question was the shipping size and weight, not their use weight

Just the headphone weight by itself is 710g~

It is physically impossible this case and everything being just 20g
1664435257578.png

Just the travel case is a few lbs by itself , even using a cheap company like Fishisfast.com to ship it will still net you quite a premium

04gto

Just some additional data on the weight of the LCD-XC: I currently have the 2021 version and on a very high resolution scale (.005 g) mine weighed 685 grams. After switching to the matching carbon fiber headband it now weighs 666 grams . I didn't switch to save weight, just for aesthetics, as the weight does not bother me. Good thing because spending $200 to save 19 grams or .63 ounces would not be a high value proposition. On the same scale my older Bocote wood LCD-XC weighed 709 grams. On my head, they felt the same- substantial. Moral of the story, if you are at all concerned about headphone weight for any reason, comfort, shipping or otherwise, look elsewhere- these headphones are robust.

Top Bottom