• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali audio IN-8 V2 measurements

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Hi.
This is Kali audio's 8-inch 3-way coaxial speaker IN-8 V2.

00.jpeg

First, SPL/FR.

02.png

It is quite flat except for some HF.
And 37.6hz(-6dB)

This speaker seems to be doing the right thing.

Next is the directivity.

03.png
04.png
05.png
06.png

This speaker has good horizontal and vertical directivity.

Next is the beamwidth.

07.png
08.png

It's also well controlled.

This is a polar plot.

09.png
10.png

It shows a smooth attenuation across the front as well as the rear.

It seems to have been significantly spent on product design and enclosure design.

The Harmonic distortions.

11.png
12.png
13.png
14.png
15.png

In the 95dB SPL measurement data, there was data that was outside the existing specifications, so we modified it and added it.

In addition, we found unusual things in both 85dB SPL data above.

We'll talk about this later.

Next is the multitone distortion.

16.png
17.png
18.png

Overall, it is compliant, except for very high peaks around 300 Hz.

Multiton distortion for each output.

19.png

I found nothing unusual about the multi-tone distortion caused by the increase in SPL.

This is a compression test.

20.png

Lastly...
A strange flaw has been found in this speaker.

11.png
13.png

The above is the THD measurement data of 85dB and 95dB SPL that we discussed earlier.
There is a problem with the HOHD (High Order Harmonic Distortion) on the above data.

In general, I use the Klippel template when performing distance measurements such as Multitone distortion and Harmonic distortion.
Therefore, it automates it and waits outside the measurement space.

But in the case of directional measurements, you have to turn the rotating plate manually, so you have to face the speaker in the measurement space, and in this measurement, you can hear some crazy noises as soon as you turn the sine sweep.

I immediately stopped measuring and performed unit proximity measurements for cause analysis.

21.png
22.png

Measurements showed that the woofer unit was innocent, but a problem was found in the Twitter-mid coaxial unit. (200~400hz)

I also performed near field measurements around the coaxial unit assembly.
But the noise was most evident in the coaxial unit.

It's much smaller than THD and less than 0.2%, but...

It's easy to hear, it's annoying.

Anyway... I'm going to show you a video of what this actually feels like.

I immediately contacted the owner of the speakers and asked him to test the rest of the sample, and the same symptoms were observed in it.

Above is the image sent by the speaker owner after taking the remaining sample B with a sine sweep.

As a result, I think it is more likely that it is not an individual sample defect.
(Because the same symptoms were found in the two samples.)

Currently, it is estimated that the structure inside the coaxial unit is caused by shaking or touching each other above a certain sound pressure.

The scary thing is...
These characteristics are not shown by typical THD measurements.

This is a personal comment.

If you listen to music on 85dB SPL or louder, it is difficult to recommend.

Of course, I can't answer the question of where I can get a good DI, 8-inch, 3-way coaxial speaker for this price, but in the end... I can't recommend listening to high SPL.
The advantages of the 3way structure are also almost fading.

And I've measured and reviewed the same series, IN-5.
But I think I missed something because of my mistake.

I don't know if these speakers used the same coaxial unit.
At that time, I measured and reviewed the speakers with REW, not Klippel software and equipment.

Since I underestimated the effect of speaker output on frequency magnitude response, I measured it with a relatively small SPL when conducting Directivity measurements.

However, directivity measurement is almost the only process in which I can hear sine sweeps directly during speaker measurement.
And that's what made me think that I might have missed quite a few flaws.

How about the tests of other members who own these speakers?

This test requires a high SPL at 200 to 400 Hz.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
What was the SPL where the slow sine sweep in the last video audibly started resonating/distorting? Perhaps owners can try to test if they can replicate it as well.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
What was the SPL where the slow sine sweep in the last video audibly started resonating/distorting? Perhaps owners can try to test if they can replicate it as well.
I just asked the owner of this speaker for a 'big enough volume'.
This is because most users, including the owner of this speaker, do not own a microphone that has been SPL calibrated.
And I also don't know the exact SPL that reveals the problem because it's all about manually operating the volume and conducting a simple test.

However, since the speakers have not yet been returned to the owner, if necessary, I can obtain permission from the owner to find the SPL that identifies this issue through testing.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Thank you Nuyes.

I really appreciate you are digging deep into the construction, design and found flaws.
Thank you for giving me the most rewarding moment of all my work.

Exploring and discussing speakers together is really fun and valuable.
And I really appreciate the fact that I can put my energy into it.

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
I got permission from the owner of this speaker for an additional test.

I would like to provide additional information on this matter as soon as possible.
But unfortunately... I can't go to the studio for a few days due to personal reasons related to COVID-19.

Please wait a few days.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I got permission from the owner of this speaker for an additional test.

I would like to provide additional information on this matter as soon as possible.
But unfortunately... I can't go to the studio for a few days due to personal reasons related to COVID-19.

Please wait a few days.

No problem at all. If you really want to isolate the issue a bit further, you may want to fully disconnect the LF driver from the power amplifier and vice versa — but only if the owner is okay with it, of course — since you’d have to open the unit.

Indy

Thanks for another great review and detailed testing. Keep them coming.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the review! Weird glitch is happening with the mid-driver, very apparent in the last video. Is it because of this issue that you think above 86 db (at 1m?) it's not listenable?
Maybe someone from @KaliAudio_Official is aware of the issue/glitch?

Biblob

By the way, where can I find your other reviews?

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
By the way, where can I find your other reviews?
I am not familiar with the UI and functions of the this ASR website yet.
However, if you use the 'Search' feature and use 'Nuyes' as the name of the Threads author, you will find the reviews.

Zvu

The link is not working. But I'm asking for the reviews not on ASR ;)

Who would have thought that forum gives different links to different users for the same search. I've loged out and link didn't function for me either.

Biblob

I am not familiar with the UI and functions of the this ASR website yet.
However, if you use the 'Search' feature and use 'Nuyes' as the name of the Threads author, you will find the reviews.
In your review you mention you have reviewed the IN-5 too, did you make a write-up for this as well?

Katji

Major Contributor
Who would have thought that forum gives different links to different users for the same search. I've loged out and link didn't function for me either.
Search result is not a permanent link, it expires after some time, the search query is re-run.

The link you put does not have a search query string with some parameters
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?search/39757930/
...I don't know how it happened.
try this:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?search/39760584/&q=measurement&c[title_only]=1&c[users]=Nuyes&o=relevance

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
In your review you mention you have reviewed the IN-5 too, did you make a write-up for this as well?
It hasn't been long since I joined ASR, and all the reviews I wrote before are posted on the Korean website.

thin bLue

Reviewer
Nice examples of error that clearly audible but hard to catch with simple measurements only!

Good to see your multi-faceted approach and measurement based deep review again.
The detail! Keep it up!

OP
Nuyes

Nuyes

Forum Donor
Reviewer
Just now, in another audio community in Korea, there was a comment from a user of IN-8 V1.

cuo_01.png

The following is the translated version of the comment above.

I have the V1 version of the same product... I feel like there's something wrong with the 85dB SPL.

I just tested it.
The sound becomes strange when the SPL is raised to a certain extent.

By the way, given the price... It's understandable to a certain extent.

I think it's not bad unless it's used as a main monitoring device in the studio.

However, the advantage of an 8-inch weight class is overshadowed... I think it's good sound for a volume that's not too big.

I now know that the same problem occurred not only in V2 but also in V1.

There seems to be a problem with the coaxial unit.

Top Bottom