• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

linkwitz lxmini

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
That's the problem. There is no SL's product, just SL's design.
The problem of what?

Whatever you call it, I don’t see how this distinction makes any difference.

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well this...

.... question was how does one make sure that the review and measurements will be about the LXmini as opposed to one’s ability to implement a pair?

LXmini is inseparable from one's ability to implement a pair when looking at this project.

Measurement will be valid no matter how you look at it. Was the recipe followed properly can always be checked at Siegfried's website.

Zvu

Hahahaa...You should read more carefully :)

Via SL's website.

It's no rocket science. Siegfried Linkwitz made it quite diy friendly and gave transfer functions for minidsp.

OP
S

suttondesign

Forum Donor
Oh, I agree that every DIY LXmini will vary. For that matter, the drivers are not matched.

i personally think the biggest variable in the construction is how the foam gets distributed in the tubes! other than that, the dimensioning for the tubes and their relative positions, along with the seating of the drivers, is very specific in the plans, and I followed those. I sent Amir my second build, which did not use the Madisound CNC parts but which used those parts as templates. I used walnut instead, cutting and shaping using power tools.

One other vital spec is the size of the pinhole air pressure hole in the main tube. I used the recommended size and also used silicone to seal the hole where the little full-range driver’s wire enters the main tube. I did the low freq. testing to confirm no leaks. I can see how there would be response problems otherwise. Maybe testing will show something, and I hope the silicone does not come loose during shipping.

Zvu

With this ? Absolutely.

Whatever will come out of the Klippel measurements, I predict that sooner or later people are gonna 1) compare it to everything SL published about it, and 2) wonder how close this implementation is to the one these publications are about i.e. the LXminis that SL built himself...

1) it most certainly should be compared but there is a potential for some discrepancies since SL never owned Klippel NFS and couldn't make such a high resolution measurements - we should take that into consideration.

2) closeness of implementation can be checked and adjusted for any accidental mistakes.

That's why i said that measurements will be valid in the end.

changster

Definitely think an official product from the Linkwitz Store would have been better. Basically the LX Sirius with the .2

Zvu

Sirius differs from LXmini (guessing that's why it is called Sirius). First visible thing is woofer cabinet not being round pipe but more of an elliptical one.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i sent amir an lxmini and minidsp crossover for it.
That's dope!
I'm already very excited about the vertical measurements.

but at least we might get a clue why they sound so incredible.
The horizontal measurements of S. Linkwitz indicate what possible reasons for the subjectively positive hearing impression reported by many could be.

On the one hand, the narrow radiation (only +- 40-45°, less diffuse sound) and on the other hand, sound power and PIR show a "small bump" in the range of 2-4 kHz, which could contribute to a rather warm sound impression and the entire course of sound power and PIR could cause a slight "loudness effect".

(simulation based on S. Linkwitz horz measurements)
1659263302538.png
But the statements are based only on the horizontal measurements of S. Linkwitz therefore prone to errors - you can find more details in this post.

Well, Linkwitz himself has written quite a bit on the theory behind LXMini and I'm not sure Amir's testing technique can reveal much in this case and it's very likely the measurements will describe it as just one more high quality speaker.
I would not set the expectation too high, as the measurements will certainly not correspond to modern "high quality" speakers (which does not say too much about their sound if the tuning isn't right).

The horizontal measurements of S. Linkwitz seem to show isolated resonances despite smoothing - possibly only the resonance around 1.5kHz is of importance.

In the vertical radiation I would expect an additional radiation lobe upwards in the range 300-800Hz.

In the upper midrange (around 1.5kHz) there could be increased harmonic distortion.

Burning Sounds

hi all. i sent amir an lxmini and minidsp crossover for it. if he can figure out how to hoist the thing, hopefully he’ll measure for everyone. shipping was $100, and he may have to pay to ship it back to me, though only three hours north of him since i am moving to bellingham. contribute to amir if this matters to you. of course, he won’t get to experience the incredible phantom stereo image, but at least we might get a clue why they sound so incredible.
Thanks for doing this.

Regarding the MiniDSP unit - I am presuming it is pre-set with SL's original set-up, but was also wondering whether you included the alternate x-over/eq parameters developed by Dave Reite and Tom Christiansen. These primarily change the x-over frequency and slope and enable the LXMini to play a bit louder and potentially with less distortion because of the steeper slopes. The trade-off is that the cardiod dispersion pattern during the x-over region is for a shorter duration, but it would be interesting to see what effect the changes have, both from a measurement and listening perpective.

In fact, if Amir still has the Topping DM7 he could enter the x-over/eq parameters into Roon bypassing the MiniDSP altogether - that would be an interesting comparison. ;)

OP
S

suttondesign

Forum Donor
Thanks for doing this.

Regarding the MiniDSP unit - I am presuming it is pre-set with SL's original set-up, but was also wondering whether you included the alternate x-over/eq parameters developed by Dave Reite and Tom Christiansen. These primarily change the x-over frequency and slope and enable the LXMini to play a bit louder and potentially with less distortion because of the steeper slopes. The trade-off is that the cardiod dispersion pattern during the x-over region is for a shorter duration, but it would be interesting to see what effect the changes have, both from a measurement and listening perpective.

In fact, if Amir still has the Topping DM7 he could enter the x-over/eq parameters into Roon bypassing the MiniDSP altogether - that would be an interesting comparison. ;)
i sent him Dave’s and offered to send him the orig config if he wanted to try it. of course, the possibilities are endless.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Wouldn't it make more sense to do this the other way around?

I mean to ask Amir to use SL's crossover (settings) and try out alternatives when he feels adventurous?

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I would like to see measurements of SL's original xo most of all. Other versions can be "better" by measurements, but SL did lots of listening and had naturally strong bias for his personal choice, like we all do... And LX mini is an easy piece of cake compared to LX521!

By the way, I guess that I was one of those who encouraged him towards minidsp. When we met in 2013 and discussed about my AINOs (a link can be foud at linkwitzlab.com), he was curious about minidsp 4x10HD which I use, and we had some correspondence afterwards. Like stated at OPLUG, it gives such possibilities that analog simply can't, like delay control. Another big plus is ability to have several configurations saved and to try countless variations.

Triliza

Forum Donor
Odd looking speakers. No review today, so maybe Amir have received them already and is scratching his head what to do with them.

punosion

Forum Donor
Jeez, some of you people in this thread really know how to kick a gift horse in the mouth! :rolleyes: Makes me not want to send anything in…

Zvu

Jeez, some of you people in this thread really know how to kick a gift horse in the mouth! :rolleyes: Makes me not want to send anything in…

If i ever saw an unnecessary post, that is one.

Send or don't. Nobody is asking you or forcing you to do anything.

punosion

Forum Donor
If i ever saw an unnecessary post, that is one.

Send or don't. Nobody is asking you or forcing you to do anything.
That’s exactly my point. He sends in all these toys, to get responses like this…

Why did you think it was a good idea to send him the unofficial crossover?
Not questioning “why did you send it in, but “why did you think it was a good idea to send it in“? I dunno, to me it just reads like “you big dumy” in a few more words.

Amir measures modified and DIY gear all the time. Why not have as many measurements as we can get, with standard configs (I assume fully active) versus with a passive crossover? If he, for instance, didn’t send it in and disclosed after the measurements coming out that he had the passive crossover, people would be boo-hoo’ing about why he didn’t send that in, too.

If you want to see something measured, buy it and send it in! But good luck with the peanut gallery if it isn’t an off-the-shelf item, I guess…

Tough crowd.

Top Bottom