• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HD58X frequency response investigation

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

Seems they have offered a refund, exchange or credit too.. before this thread was started?

No,that happend latter.Also,I never dealt with USA based customer service but I am not sure if they are offering anything.I understand it that they ask what would I want if they decide the headphones are truly outside of specification.I emailed them to clarify this and I am still waiting for reply.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

Or help of a different kind. :confused:
Its true I made this thread hoping someone would give me good advice.I got plenty mainly thanks to you and solderdude.

The thing is,I never bought anything imported and never had to deal with any warranty or item returning in my entire life so far.Returning headphone from USA bought in Massdrop,that is uncharted territory for me.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sad story Graph Feppar will hope you get some tail wind with a accept for refund, that said if you interested can think of two hardware faults you can check yourself, one case is to check if one driver accidently is reverse wired and second case is measure impedance curves so as to look for if foam or glue is touching/attached to driver cone somewhere, if you interested will post about tools needed and how to do it.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

Yeah it was real bummer but I am already over it.Wasted some money but gained knowledge,will be smarter next time,such is life.

About the reverse wiring.Thats something I didnt think about.I never heard how reverse wired headphone sound like,do you think it could cause them to sound like I described? Yes,I would love to see how I can measure that.

Last edited:

Pillars

Why would anybody want your attention? :p
You have written the longest most annoying babble complaint I've ever seen. Congratulations for that, at least. As far as wasting money Massdrop has offered a refund or replacement. I'm guessing the headphones are perfectly fine and you just don't like it. They just don't sound anywhere near as good as 6X0's - which in my opinion is quite true. It even sounds better than 660S IMO- especially with some modding.

KR8NUX

Just out of curiosity, I went to Audiocheck to test my HE4xx after reading your post. I hear rattle sound from one drive with "bass shaker" test. Did you experience similar problem with your HE4xx?
No I just had driver matching issues. They do help out though and I was actually 12 days beyond the 1 month cap.

KR8NUX

Not so fast,I asked if I will have refund guaranted if I send them back and they didnt respond yet.
This is seriously just getting annoying now. Even after receiving a great solution for Massdrop, you're acting like all of us are here to watch some climax of a soap drama unfold. If I was a mod like on Reddit, I would have locked this thread and put a mod sticky up already. You're lucky our mods here are so chill.

BYRTT

Forum Donor
...do you think it could cause them to sound like I described? Yes,I would love to see how I can measure that.

I didn't know about sound but fortunately it was easy to test using JRiver players DSP filter engine and set a reverse polarity filter into either left or right channel using a HD650 setup and think there should be hope because at least image is completely killed and those HD650 now sounds hopeless bad and wierd.

To test it myself would use a sharp focused light pointed to head phone cup or from behind so as cone gets visible for eye and then wire a 1,5 volt used battery with minus connected to jacks shield and then for a very short duration of time (a split second) connect plus to jacks tip while looking for drivers direction, warning duration time shall be very short so as to not damage that little poor driver with a theoretical zero Hz signal and if you have say a 10 ohms resistor laying around then use that in series with plus of battery. Scheme is with minus to jacks shield and plus to jacks tip then left channel driver shall move in outward direction (towards ear) and with minus to jacks shield and plus to jacks ring then right channel driver shall move in outward direction (towards ear). If it happens test fails and one driver is reverse wired we can hope for when corrected that sound will be close to expected and maybe real close to 660S.

Also you could give it a try reverse one channel in a software player : )

Good luck and let me know if impedance test is of interest.

Wombat

Master Contributor
If the warranty claim is still active I would not fiddle around with the product.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

WOW!

I just got reply from Massdrop customer service,they told me they send me new one or return money and I dont even need to return my headphone!

This is such a good outcome,I did not see this coming.I never even imagined that I could get refund and keep the headphones at same time.I never ever read about any company doing that for any products.Not only that,it only took couple days to solve and customer support person was super nice.Big thumbs up Massdrop,literally right and left hand thumb and also both feet thumbs up lol

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Take the refund, or you might end up with another unsatisfactory pair.

mi-fu

Forum Donor
WOW!

I just got reply from Massdrop customer service,they told me they send me new one or return money and I dont even need to return my headphone!

This is such a good outcome,I did not see this coming.I never even imagined that I could get refund and keep the headphones at same time.I never ever read about any company doing that for any products.Not only that,it only took couple days to solve and customer support person was super nice.Big thumbs up Massdrop,literally right and left hand thumb and also both feet thumbs up lol

It is a very good outcome.

To solve the mystery, will you consider shipping the "defective" pair to @solderdude to measure? I suspect many people here, and even Massdrop / Sennheiser, would like to know what the problem really is.

OP
Graph Feppar

Graph Feppar

Take the refund, or you might end up with another unsatisfactory pair.

While that is entirely possible,I think,and pls dont get triggered or annoyed or angry or whatever,I love this forum and people here,I think this is coming from the opinion that I am some bizzare weirdo with highly unusual sound preference and overly critical attitude and that there is nothing wrong with my headphone,that I just dislike its frequency response tuning.

I strongly believe I got some "lemon",this cant possibly be the same headphones as other people got and measured.The truth is,I am not overly critical bizzare weirdo.I am young man of science,hardcore objectivist,most of my life I lived in low fi hell,only recently did I move up to mid fi.If anything,I am much more tolerant of bad sound since thats what I got most of my life and I still enjoyed music.

Also I dont have any weird taste,I love HD650,the whole HD6X0 family is my favorite group of headphones.The headphone I like most is HD800,except the 6K peak.You see? I dont have any weird unusual taste in sound,I like what most people like and dislike what most other people dislike.I can enjoy cheap cans and dont need the best to be satisfied.I dont know what happened to my HD58X but they were very strongly inferior to all HD6X0,even to the HD660S which measurements showed were extremly similiar.

Top Bottom