• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help! - SMSL Su-8s only playing MQA files on tidal @44.1khz

MonkeyPumpkin

Hi guys, I've just got the SMSL Su-8s and I'm struggling to get MQA playback on Tidal working properly as it seems to only want to play 44.1khz I have downloaded the drivers from Shenzen audio "https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/#su8s/1" and installed them but when playing a Master track on tidal the XMOS driver shows "current sample rate 44100hz and also on the DAC's display it shows MQA but underneath says 44.1kHz. I have set Tidal to exclusive mode and also enabled passthrough MQA... ran out of ideas now :( can anyone help, please?

NemesisBaud

image.jpg
I was able to get mine to work. I ordered the SU-8s from drop and it arrived yesterday (7/29/2022). I downloaded and installed the drivers from SMSL’s website and restarted my laptop (running Windows 10 Pro). Then I downloaded the desktop version of Tidal and set the quality to Master. Then I changed the output device in Tidal to the SMSL USB DAC. When I did that, I saw a section called “More Settings” and that’s where I checked “Use Exclusive Mode” and “Passthrough MQA”. At first it didn’t seem to work. The SMSL reported MQA, but only at 44.1kHz. Then I changed songs and now it shows MQA at 192kHz. Perhaps not every “Master” title is offered at 192kHz?

Zeeb

Also can check Windows sound settings, see this post (Win10) and the post below it (Win11)...

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Or maybe give up on MQA and enjoy life.

Katji

Major Contributor
At first it didn’t seem to work. The SMSL reported MQA, but only at 44.1kHz. Then I changed songs and now it shows MQA at 192kHz. Perhaps not every “Master” title is offered at 192kHz?
Whatever. It resets when the track is changed.

Also can check Windows sound settings, see this post (Win10) and the post below it (Win11)...
Exactly. Most cases [of this same old story] they didn't know to change the Windows Sound settings. ...Which the Tidal [/whatever] app overrides. but it gets confusing or inconsistent.
(And whatever Microsoft's bullshit about their latest bloated new improved UIX, "some things never change" - they never managed to get this stuff to be easier to use.)

Or maybe give up on MQA and enjoy life.
MQA or not, imagine using some frikking special app for a specific streaming service to play music.
It's regressive. Generic A/V players like WMP and WinAmp and VLC have been playing streams from URLs since 10 years or ago, at least.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The SMSL reported MQA, but only at 44.1kHz. Then I changed songs and now it shows MQA at 192kHz. Perhaps not every “Master” title is offered at 192kHz?
This is exactly correct. Mqa files will vary from 44.1 to 384 kHz with everything in between.

96khz seemed most common when I used it.

Setting to exclusive mode in tidal app bypasses the windows audio settings.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Hi guys, I've just got the SMSL Su-8s and I'm struggling to get MQA playback on Tidal working properly as it seems to only want to play 44.1khz I have downloaded the drivers from Shenzen audio "https://download.shenzhenaudio.com/#su8s/1" and installed them but when playing a Master track on tidal the XMOS driver shows "current sample rate 44100hz and also on the DAC's display it shows MQA but underneath says 44.1kHz. I have set Tidal to exclusive mode and also enabled passthrough MQA... ran out of ideas now :( can anyone help, please?
This completely depends on the song. In Testing MQA w/ Tidal last night; not all songs are in a higher quality. Some show as MQA masters but are only at 44.1Khz, others are at 96Khz.
This is exactly correct. Mqa files will vary from 44.1 to 384 kHz with everything in between.

96khz seemed most common when I used it.

Setting to exclusive mode in tidal app bypasses the windows audio settings.
I haven't encountered anything with 384 kHz yet, are any of them on Tidal?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This completely depends on the song. In Testing MQA w/ Tidal last night; not all songs are in a higher quality. Some show as MQA masters but are only at 44.1Khz, others are at 96Khz.

I haven't encountered anything with 384 kHz yet, are any of them on Tidal?
I think some of the 2L catalog were , from memory . Not that it matters much at all .

Top Bottom