• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Agree 100%,. Hifi streaming is still in a early state over the next couple of years there will be more competitors...
I just want up to 24/192 and USB to play local files off a thumb drive and I'm all set.
I can compromise without Ethernet since I I have mesh router so signal is not a problem but USB, coaxial and toslink are must to have and from what I read on the web it may include chromecast as well.

egbx

Spotify has no need to change resolution as all the tracks are lossy mp3 16/44, while there can be resolution changes with AMHD. WiiM are working on improving gapless
Please report this bug via feedback option in the app, the more reports they get the faster it will be fixed.
I did, they responded:

“Thanks very much for your feedback.
We plan to support AMHD gapless playback with WiiM Home app in next month. Please stay tuned!”

simbun

I looked into BubbleUPnP server and apparently it doesn't work with Synology 7.0 so I can't use it.
I do remember hearing about the new version changing the packaging system, that's a shame. I guess you could try it by running it on some other machine and if you liked it you could always stick it on a Pi.

simbun

Subjective. I find the WiiM app to be quite intuitive to use, especially on iOS. I’ve had a Bubble license for probably a decade, but just don’t like it, so rarely use it. When WiiM Home app gets tablet mode, it will be even better.

I primarily use it for Tidal, never for local files. YMMV
I was referring specifically to its UPnP browser, I don't know about the other views, but for UPnP it's far from subjective in my opinion (see attached images where MinimServer and BubbleUPnP is on the left and MinimServer and WiiM is on the right). The only artwork it displays is on the track listing screen, and I've tried with both MinimServer and AssetUPnP.

Having said that, surely the better option would have been to take the Chromecast route, and just make sure the Mini is a robust target for all the protocols and leave the UI up to the service, with just a rudimentary app for device and speaker group setup? It's a lofty target to offer a single view across all the services - Google has been trying for years. Good luck to them!

Attachments

• AlbumArtistView.jpg
    AlbumArtistView.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 65
  • AlbumView.jpg
    AlbumView.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 72
  • TrackListing.jpg
    TrackListing.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 69

thomasward00

I can compromise without Ethernet since I I have mesh router so signal is not a problem but USB, coaxial and toslink are must to have and from what I read on the web it may include chromecast as well.
Many DAC's including the one in my Arcam amp is limited to 24/96 via Toslink, 192 takes Coax... Still sounds great though.

sfdoddsy

The Wiim Site mentions enabling Adaptive EQ.

How does one actually do this? Is it a digital out only thing?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Just fired up my old Tidal account to see how things are these days.

I hate MQA and still have hope it disappears from Tidal.

But the Tida iPadl app plus Tidal Connect to WiiM Mini is wonderful - and proper gapless playback.

Just check out track credits inside the Tidal app and how they link. Don't need Roon (and I have a lifetime Roon).

Only downsides to me:

- MQA
- Bitrate not shown in WiiM Home
- Atmos is forced on mobile app - how stupid is this - no option to change default behaviour

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
Just fired up my old Tidal account to see how things are these days.

I hate MQA and still have hope it disappears from Tidal.

But the Tida iPadl app plus Tidal Connect to WiiM Mini is wonderful - and proper gapless playback.

Just check out track credits inside the Tidal app and how they link. Don't need Roon (and I have a lifetime Roon).

Only downsides to me:

- MQA
- Desktop app doesn't support Tidal Connect
- Atmos is forced on mobile app - how stupid is this - no option to change default behaviour
Wouldn't Qobuz could solve some of your issues?

Music1969

Major Contributor
Wouldn't Qobuz could solve some of your issues?

Qobuz Connect from Desktop app? Doesn't exist

I like Atmos but like the option to select when - like Amazon UHD allows.

I have Qobuz, Amazon UHD, Apple Hi-Res , so I enjoy the music even with the 'issues' they all have.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Both Qobuz and Tidal Connect work perfectly with the WiiM.
What happens when you use Tidal iOS app and play an Atmos album to the WiiM via Tidal Connect?

Say this example below.

Can you choose to not play the Atmos version?

1659351749871.png

Merifon

I suppose you mean to the stream started from Tidal itself, i was shure that all services have bitrate tag if started from wiim app only (android). The use of Tidal from wiim app, quite lacks all the feature that give it a good user exp, this is the problem.
Me too hate MQA but with 44.1 limited Tidal hifi, generally no problem with the tracks not master badged and to be honest, whilst I easy find the best quality versus Spotify, I have to pay much much more attention to say for example, that all hires qobuz tracks sound better... Nevertheless is not understandable why they pay for such useless if not harmful overprocessing.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I suppose you mean to the stream started from Tidal itself, i was shure that all services have bitrate tag if started from wiim app only (android). The use of Tidal from wiim app, quite lacks all the feature that give it a good user exp, this is the problem.
Casting from Amazon iOS app shows bitrate.. I've been using this for weeks (Amazon UHD beta casting).

And personally, I've got no interest in using Wiim Home app. I'm only interested in Casting / Connect style playback, from official streaming service apps.

Merifon

Casting from Amazon iOS app shows bitrate.. I've been using this for weeks (Amazon UHD beta casting).

And personally, I've got no interest in using Wiim Home app. I'm only interested in Casting / Connect style playback, from official streaming service apps.
Nice to know, I dropped subscriptions before last updates of wiim and the trial capped version of qobuz, nor Amazon music prime, show bitrate.
As soon regular Fw will permits lossless from Amazon, I'll do another test.

Top Bottom