• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping E30 II DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 103 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 57.2%

• Total voters

Lambda

Major Contributor
some DAPs fail to act as a power supply... the newer ones do. Like the sony-nwa45, one the DAP doesn't provide usb. I have to use an adapter but the usb connector only use the data portion of usb hence the need of power. Anyway taking power from DAPs drain its battery faster. Better to use the power supply.
So you have a USB port that don't supply power? sounds like a spacial rare issue that could e solved like this.
1659165270377.jpeg

Or the DAC could have 2 inputs (like i has now) and one is only power (like it is now)
but both are USB(C) and and the DAC shuld work with only one of the connected if the one has power.

getting a proper power adapter (wall wart) can be challenging.
Thats why there are Standards and the low voltage charge and power plug standard is USB(C)

Haruko

It seems that the new Topping E30 II is not to everyone's liking.
this guy is known for trolling and pushing out controversial videos to ignite discussion... he is gaining views just by being controversial... hate people like that... "audiophile" reviewers are full of shit also so it balances out... this is why AI will take over us humans

Jimster480

Major Contributor
this guy is known for trolling and pushing out controversial videos to ignite discussion... he is gaining views just by being controversial... hate people like that... "audiophile" reviewers are full of shit also so it balances out... this is why AI will take over us humans
Today YouTube has become so competitive that you have people like this who are literally making stuff just to be different in hopes of being relevant. It is both sad and disappointing in my opinion but it seems to be very popular these days

respice finem

Major Contributor
Today YouTube has become so competitive that you have people like this who are literally making stuff just to be different in hopes of being relevant. It is both sad and disappointing in my opinion but it seems to be very popular these days
Sic Mundus creatus est... It was never really much different IMHO, just the means are becoming more modern.

Sokel

Master Contributor
It seems that the new Topping E30 II is not to everyone's liking.
Nearly all the (very) young people I know are similar to him,they want it handy,they want it bulletproof (I agree on that),they want it easy and fast,no matter what that is.
No wonder he has followers.

Asma

Nearly all the (very) young people I know are similar to him,they want it handy,they want it bulletproof (I agree on that),they want it easy and fast,no matter what that is.
This guy seemed strange to me, he compares two devices with different functionality, this is not entirely correct.

Sokel

Master Contributor
This guy seemed strange to me, he compares two devices with different functionality, this is not entirely correct.
That's exactly the point,it makes no difference to them as long as it gets the job done the way I described above.

It would have been the same if except the dac,the dongle and the interface there also was a PHA there.

Cynical in some way.

Ease of use is the first thing for them by far,probably the extra time needed spares time they would have wasted on social media.

MajorP

@JohnYang1997 So I contacted support because my E30 is producing drop-outs when being connected to my PC via toslink.
Topping support said that there is no problem with my unit and the drop-outs are there because my PC is "incompatible".
In my opinion this is far from fair since there has to be a problem with the E30 when my cheap Fiio DAC works without any issues.
The person I talked to seems to not understand that a mediocre product design (the design with the Cirrus Logic receiver is mediocre IMO) can also be an issue.

How should a customer know before buying that his/her device is incompatible when Topping has not released a list of compatible devices?
I bought this DAC because of the good review on ASR. Also the Toslink performance was good in the review before the switch to the way worse Cirrus Logic receiver.

Can you help me directly or forward my support request to a person that is actually willing to help me?
I'd like either a refund or replacement (replace with either old E30 with AKM receiver chip or new E30 II).

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Thanks for your response but it doesn't address the fact that I don't want a DAC that has to be joined at the hip to my computer or to a phone charger. I prefer to have a proper wall wart that connects to the barrel connector port on the Topping DAC. Problem is, it seems that a wall wart is not provided and, as I explained, getting a proper power adapter (wall wart) can be challenging.
Prehaps check out the smsl su-6 dac instead. It has built in power supply and measures very well too , is about the same price as the topping.
Review here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-su-6-review-desktop-dac.28402/

Trell

Major Contributor
Thanks for the laugh! It was like someone was forcing him to use it. I love his review of the remote control. Is it that hard to point it at the device? Honestly, I forget mine has a remote. It just sits in the drawer. And don’t get him started on the button on the front. He has troubles with this too. Ahh good times!

The video, a rant really, was weird but possible usability issues with the overly directional remote, buttons usage, random power on when in standby, are good points.

Labelling amirm as a "bad faith actor" is way over the top, though:

1659189188179.png

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your response but it doesn't address the fact that I don't want a DAC that has to be joined at the hip to my computer or to a phone charger. I prefer to have a proper wall wart that connects to the barrel connector port on the Topping DAC. Problem is, it seems that a wall wart is not provided and, as I explained, getting a proper power adapter (wall wart) can be challenging.
I have this one coming today.

JAMECO RELIAPRO DDU050100M2270 AC/DC Power Supply Wall Adapter/Transformer Single-Out 5V 1A 5W, DDU050100M2270 https://a.co/d/4xxz6Vr

nsfgp

I posted this about 10 pages back. Listen to what the designer/engineer said awhile ago w/ using "those phone charger".

mvleff

I have this one coming today.

JAMECO RELIAPRO DDU050100M2270 AC/DC Power Supply Wall Adapter/Transformer Single-Out 5V 1A 5W, DDU050100M2270 https://a.co/d/4xxz6Vr
Thanks. This actually addresses my question! Are you fairly certain that the barrel plug matches the port on the Topping E30? - Also, I have sorted out that the E30 does come with a cable, male barrel plug to male USB-A, to use with a standard USB charging block. Do you believe that the adapter you are suggesting might be a better solution?

Lambda

Major Contributor
Do you believe that the adapter you are suggesting might be a better solution?
This is like using some sort of PS audio mains re-generator power plant.
Sure you can have better power quality but a properer design shuld not care about this.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. This actually addresses my question! Are you fairly certain that the barrel plug matches the port on the Topping E30? - Also, I have sorted out that the E30 does come with a cable, male barrel plug to male USB-A, to use with a standard USB charging block. Do you believe that the adapter you are suggesting might be a better solution?
Several comments on Amazon about E30 users using it.
Probably won’t make any difference but just wanting something more dedicated to power than charging

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Honestly any half decent power supply should work fine.

Good thing is that this guy only has 2K views and most of the comments are not supporting his garbage cherry picking.

I did not watch the video as not to give him more watch time for this sort of terrible content.
I posted this about 10 pages back. Listen to what the designer/engineer said awhile ago w/ using "those phone charger".
he mentions that you can use an affordable first party phone charger and get the best results.

Haruko

Honestly any half decent power supply should work fine.

Good thing is that this guy only has 2K views and most of the comments are not supporting his garbage cherry picking.

I did not watch the video as not to give him more watch time for this sort of terrible content.

phone chargers are actually quite clean

Saponetto

So, my subjective part will soon start to push me to replace my faithful E30 just because I didn't get the good wall wart it deserves... :)

Top Bottom