• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord DAVE Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 295 60.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 121 24.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 46 9.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 24 4.9%

• Total voters

Music1969

Major Contributor
Management jumped in there to stop the activity so definitely "phased."
I think Head-Fi staff were phased not the existing customers.

A lot of ASR people jumped in their threads that caused mods to get "phased" - it was entertaining while it lasted !

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I think Head-Fi staff were phased not the existing customers
I don't know how you would have that kind of insight. A number of posts put Rob on spot to explain. This has rarely if ever happened there regarding site sponsors.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I don't know how you would have that kind of insight. A number of posts put Rob on spot to explain. This has rarely if ever happened there regarding site sponsors.
Oh really? I'm going to have to go look for the thread. Although I'm pretty sure my account is still banned

Music1969

Major Contributor
Well yeah, it's obviously not good for marketing?

My comment was about customers that are loyal to Chord marketing and yours was about management.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Chord's boss said in a magazine interview years ago >100k Mojo's sold. Mojo alone.

It is going to be very difficult to know if the review impacts future sale - that's the point.

But as I mentioned above, if you could look at Chord's sale figures (which someone has claimed to seen earlier in this thread) over the next years, you might have some kind of vague idea (or not).

Hop onto Head-Fi - lots of happy Chord customers seem un-phased by the measurements.
I misread. Thought you were saying they might have sold 150k Dave!

I agree, nothing said here will deter many from looking at Chord products.

paulrbarnard

Did you cross reference the users asking those questions? They didn’t seem to be from regular HeadFi posters. Just saying…

Music1969

Major Contributor
Did you cross reference the users asking those questions? They didn’t seem to be from regular HeadFi posters. Just saying…
There were ASR people jumping in there. No question about that.

Some were cross posting here in this thread too with same username !

Maybe mods deleted some posts before this:

1659171509356.png

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I misread. Thought you were saying they might have sold 150k Dave!

I agree, nothing said here will deter many from looking at Chord products.
100,000 mojos is still a ton of money. It is amazing the amount of money some people have made essentially deceiving others.

Digby

Major Contributor
With this product you are buying "prestige". Does it perform the best? No. Does the slightly worse than the very best performance impact on music? Doesn't really seem to. Does it cost a bundle? Yes, it does.

This product is a statement, it says (if only to oneself) that "I have arrived". Perhaps in a similar way a superyacht is the mark of someone who is not just wealthy, but very wealthy, stratospherically wealthy even.

The product is only flawed if you look for the best measurements, but they aren't the be all and end all, at least beyond this place. Tube amps are a good example!

This is not apologetics, I'm just saying that luxury products are a world unto themselves. Look at all the, to my mind largely ugly, watches that wealthy people spend tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on. Do they perform any better than a Casio, are they really more aesthetically pleasing than something 100th the cost?

They are statement pieces, to others and to yourself. Why? Because they can.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
There were ASR people jumping in there. No question about that.

Some were cross posting here in this thread too with same username !

Maybe mods deleted some posts before this:

View attachment 221246
Oh yeah this guy is one of the most pathetic losers I ever met on the internet. I remember all of his ridiculous posts always to cover up whatever is going on against any manufacturer.
Anything to keep the scam alive.

Music1969

Major Contributor
100,000 mojos is still a ton of money. It is amazing the amount of money some people have made essentially deceiving others.
If Rob got $50 per Mojo sold (his name is on every one sold) do the math, on just Mojos sold.

Why would he/Chord need to change their ways. Only if sales get hit.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
With this product you are buying "prestige". Does it perform the best? No. Does the slightly worse than the very best performance impact on music? Doesn't really seem to. Does it cost a bundle? Yes, it does.

This product is a statement, it says (if only to oneself) that "I have arrived". Perhaps in a similar way a superyacht is the mark of someone who is not just wealthy, but very wealthy, stratospherically wealthy even.

The product is only flawed if you look for the best measurements, but they aren't the be all and end all, at least beyond this place. Tube amps are a good example!

This is not apologetics, I'm just saying that luxury products are a world unto themselves. Look at all the, to my mind largely ugly, watches that wealthy people spend tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars on. Do they perform any better than a Casio, are they really more aesthetically pleasing than something 100th the cost?

They are statement pieces, to others and to yourself. Why? Because they can.
This is not the same thing like a super yacht or a supercar. This is just overpriced audio equipment that is basically used to take advantage of people by dealers. Telling them that they need to spend a certain amount of money on their DAC because the rest of their equipment is also expensive.

You don't show these things off to other people usually because the reality is that no one cares. This is especially true in this Hobby today. Where most people listen to Bluetooth headphones and don't really care about your Hi-Fi stuff at all

Jimster480

Major Contributor
If Rob got $50 per Mojo sold (his name is on every one sold) do the math, on just Mojos sold.

Why would he/Chord need to change their ways. Only if sales get hit.
Of course they don't need to change their ways. And of course they don't care.
Hopefully enough of the waves go out that do cause sales to be hit and we see them go back to the drawing board just like what happened with schiit.

I was squelched on head by years ago over the same type of thing. The administrators came and locked the threads and deleted people's posts and even edited the contents of people's posts in order for them to keep up the narrative.
When I posted screenshots of them editing posts they just deleted the screenshots and warned my account and sent me private messages. This is how it goes over there

Lukino

The part that really bothers me is the huge amount of engineering, design and manufacturing talent going into solving non-problems in audio. It is one thing for someone to make an AC cable and sell it for $10,000. You know that talent wouldn't be much good elsewhere. But the work that goes into a Chord product sure could be applied to myriad of real problems in the world.
In the field of sound, we have progressed to a stage where the teamwork of multiple knowledge engineers and a real design shift of the DAC chip is needed. The companies ESS and AKM are advancing it professionally, not on the basis of some dubious solutions. Using chip companies has always proven to be the best solution. I am personally looking forward to the ESS 9039PRO and its counterpart AK4499EX. Surely the TOPPING is already being prepared. Amir too....AP ready....;)

Digby

Major Contributor
This is not the same thing like a super yacht or a supercar. This is just overpriced audio equipment that is basically used to take advantage of people by dealers.
I dunno, isn't a superyacht just an overpriced yacht, it is all relative isn't it. If your only concern is measurements (at least the measurements Amir does), there is better, but rarely is that the only concern, even for people here.

Products like this are not just a show of wealth, but as affirmation of confidence in yourself. They are saying I can afford (and will always be able to afford) said luxury product, the value/cost ratio is relatively immaterial.

Never underestimate human psychology. I doubt many that buy these products will be particularly phased by this review.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I dunno, isn't a superyacht just an overpriced yacht, it is all relative isn't it. If your only concern is measurements (at least the measurements Amir does), there is better, but rarely is that the only concern, even for people here.

Products like this are not just a show of wealth, but as affirmation of confidence in yourself. They are saying I can afford (and will always be able to afford) said luxury product, the value/cost ratio is relatively immaterial.

Never underestimate human psychology. I doubt many that buy these products will be particularly phased by this review.
Super Yachts are larger yachts. They have more features and are able to accommodate more people. If you want to have giant parties on Yachts then you must have a super yacht. A DAC is one of the only things where you just spend more money only to spend more money because you get absolutely nothing for it.
If wasting $14,000 to get sub $100 performance just is for you to have confidence in yourself then I really feel bad for you. I believe that most of the people who bought these products will probably be upset when they find out that it performs worse than a $100 product.
Part of this is all about how it sounds and the amazing engineering that goes into it. They are being sold a luxury item that is supposed to be better than everybody else's stuff which is indeed a nice special item to have.
But when instead of the item being better it is actually worse than what everyone else has... you actually just look like a fool.

It would be as if a Lamborghini comes with 120 horsepower. Because people told you that it was fast and these Engineers built it by hand. They told you it has 800 horsepower and that nothing will touch it. But then you got passed by a Corolla on the street and no matter what you did he would just pull away from you. You would undoubtedly feel like a fool

Awsmone

If Mojo has sold over 150k units (pretty accurate) and Rob gets $100 per unit (I made that up but I wouldn't be surprised if its close) to have his name on each - plus all Hugo1, Hugo2 models and all the others sold.

He solved a real problem - his bank account !

If people keep buying, you can't blame him can you?

If people keep buying, why would they changing anything?
this is capatalism, people make money over and above what it costs them to make
they add some bling and people choose it

I am not sure what the problem is

many many manufacturers overhype their equipment , and people buy it on that basis , there is a legal right to recourse should there be true misrepresentation and malicious intent

at the end of the day Rob Watts is a consultant to chord, not the manufacturer , how he is paid by them I don’t know, do you ?

whether it’s per unit fee, a retainer or a flat fee I have no idea do you ?

he designed a product, they made it, it sold , end of story

whether ASR says it measures well or not is actually irrelevant in commercial enterprise and ah 7 years too late as it was released way back when , this ship has long long sailed , Ferrari 308 are imho a heap of junk, people still bought them because of the name and the looks it is a commercial enterprise and people are still re-buying them go figure ?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish people would stop claiming that people buy these crazy money DACs for status.

I know a fair few people who own them. To a man they bought them solely because they genuinely believe they deliver better sound quality.

If you point to the measurements and blind testing they will just say that measurements don't show everything and that blind testing is flawed.

Like the bloke in the video linked to above where he interviews Rob Watts; when it comes to Hi-Fi for some reason they have a blind spot. They do not seem able to distinguish between an independent expert and a salesman.

Top Bottom