• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Rate this Headphone Amp/Pre-amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 70 17.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 306 75.4%

• Total voters

Dogcoop

Did you even read the review? ;)

Topping A90 Discrete Listening Tests
I have been using my everyday Dan Clark Stealth headphone as a "it won't drive it but let's see what it does" test for headphone amps. This is the first time I have seen an amplifier have such an upper hand over these headphones. The sound is incredibly dynamic and beautiful. "Loud" listening is at volume level 80 in high gain. I cranked it up to 95 before I got scared for my hearing without any hint of distortion. I had not heard these headphones come to life so well.
Of course I read the review!

I’m feeding the a90d from a topping e50 bal out, bal hp out. I can’t get anywhere near 80 without bleeding ears. Why do you think Amir put ‘loud’ in quotes?

Are you using the stealth with the a90d at 80?

Do you even have a stealth with a90d?

Thnx anyhow.

Last edited:
Of course I read the review!

I’m feeding the a90d from a topping e50 bal out. I can’t get anywhere near 80 without bleeding ears. Why do you think Amir put ‘loud’ in quotes?

Are you using the stealth with the a90d at 80?

Do you even have a stealth with a90d?

Thnx anyhow.
Can't speak for the Stealth, but I do have an Aeon Closed X. Using an spl meter, I find comfortable listening at 60-70 db, 80 is too loud for my ears. I believe perceived loudness can vary between individuals. Enjoy!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Can't speak for the Stealth, but I do have an Aeon Closed X. Using an spl meter, I find comfortable listening at 60-70 db, 80 is too loud for my ears. I believe perceived loudness can vary between individuals. Enjoy!
I am the same, I don't listen at high db's either. I tried a meter one time and found I listen between like 68-75 most of the time.

lovesegfault

Stock firmware didn't support Mac OS. The newer firmware fixed the issue and now should work with Macs. (yeah I know the issue of how to get the firmware upgrade if it doesn't work with Mac) But at least it should work after upgrade.

Another thing is that currently the DM7's type c port has to connect to type A port to work. So if you connect to a type c port with a type c to type c cable it wouldn't work. Use the provided cable and it should work fine.

EDIT: Only newer batches support firmware upgrade on Mac OS and Linux based distros. Sorry for the confusion. The second point still stands. And all A90 Discrete should work with Windows.
I don't own any Windows computers, what am I supposed to do?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Create ntfs partition and install windows, upgrade firmware, delete partition ... or use dual boot with linux...
Unless he has an M1 based mac. Then I don't believe he can do either and will need to purchase a Windows pc. Honestly it's not much of a requirement considering the number of used PCS on eBay or even some cheap new junk at walmart.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
He maybe able to get it working running Parallels Desktop 17 which is optimized for M1 Macs. BTW, I'm a 100% Mac guy, however I do have a $500 HP Laptop that I use to program Extron equipment and work with other applications that only run on Windows, mostly at my workplace.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Create ntfs partition and install windows, upgrade firmware, delete partition ... or use dual boot with linux...
A less invasive option is to use VirtualBox to create a Windows VM in your Linux machine, then install Windows in the VM. VirtualBox is open source. No need to dual boot, and the VM can even access files in your LInux machine through local shares.

That said, I like to see companies supporting Linux for their firmware updates, so customers don't have to purchase proprietary closed source operating systems like Mac or Windows.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had a Bluetooth metronome whose old firmware could only be updated on iOS. I had to borrow an iPhone to update the firmware. Newer versions are also compatible with Android.

lovesegfault

A less invasive option is to use VirtualBox to create a Windows VM in your Linux machine, then install Windows in the VM. VirtualBox is open source. No need to dual boot, and the VM can even access files in your LInux machine through local shares.

That said, I like to see companies supporting Linux for their firmware updates, so customers don't have to purchase proprietary closed source operating systems like Mac or Windows.
That's my primary point, I want to be able to update my firmware without needing to install spyware on my computer, or waste money on a new computer just to run spyware on it.

Alas.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Some companies say it's more work to develop firmware update clients for yet another operating system (Linux) that hardly any of their customers use.
My suggestion is that if companies make their firmware update run in a browser, then a single update process can run on any operating system.

PointyFox

Just wondering if anyone is using the Stealth with a Topping A90 Discrete?

If so, would you share what volume level you are comfortable using?

Thnx

4.4mm balanced, low gain, 72.

I listen fairly loud, around 77-85 dBA.
Amir must be using the 1/4" connector.

Dogcoop

4.4mm balanced, low gain, 72.

I listen fairly loud, around 77-85 dBA.
Amir must be using the 1/4" connector.
Thnx for the reply.
I’m using xlr hp out on high gain at around 60.
May I ask why you use low gain with the stealth?
I tried low gain at 72 and that seems about the same as 60 w/high gain.

PointyFox

Thnx for the reply.
I’m using xlr hp out on high gain at around 60.
May I ask why you use low gain with the stealth?
I tried low gain at 72 and that seems about the same as 60 w/high gain.

I'm under the impression that it's always better to use lower gains if possible due to lower noise/distortion levels.

MRC01

Major Contributor
I'm under the impression that it's always better to use lower gains if possible due to lower noise/distortion levels.
Usually true. The more gain, the more pain. A higher volume setting at low gain usually has lower noise & distortion than a lower volume setting at high gain.

Dogcoop

This is from the Topping site:

The A90 Discrete has two gain options, which enough to
cover a wide variety of headphones: low gain to drive the
IEMs with high sensitivity, and high gain to drive full-sized
over-ears.

I, personally, find the high gain setting to work very well with the stealth with no noise/distortion problems. I am not sure that my ears are all that sensitive so you may be able to detect subtle differences.

Enjoy the stealth and happy listening!

Dogcoop

Usually true. The more gain, the more pain. A higher volume setting at low gain usually has lower noise & distortion than a lower volume setting at high gain.
Thnx for the input. Is it an audible difference, because for the life of me I can’t hear a drawback with high gain. Old ears:)
Cheers

MRC01

Major Contributor
Amir's review shows that the A90 Discrete follows the general rule: low gain has lower noise & distortion than high gain. However, it is so clean even in high gain mode that you might not notice any difference.

PointyFox

I'd guess that I wouldn't hear a difference, but I don't have my headphones now to check. My Stealth had a couple issues that DCA is fixing for me.

Top Bottom