• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD M-Scaler Review (Upsampler)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 358 88.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 28 6.9%

• Total voters

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Personally, I often wonder whether I'm missing out soundwise when I hear about the newest thing. If you're like that, it can be worth paying a premium knowing you have something that measures really good to give you some peace of mind. I think this site shows that the premium can be a modest one, not a ripoff.
Same here. A question in my mind for instance is: is the difference between the minidsp flex and shd really audible? (1000 euro difference)

And the imd on the NAD C510 ? (see the M51 on this site) I was quite sure I heard a big difference between the Nad and the Topping but given the rest of my sighted testing results, I'm not so sure I would reliably choose the best measuring one in a blind test.

The difference to me is not so much that I can't pay a premium on the minidsp, but if both are the same to my ears, money spent elsewhere is more useful.

dc655321

Major Contributor
I'd like to see Rob Watts and Bob Stuart debate filter design.

throw-up-dry-heave.gif

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Long post, so bear with me. I’ve had the Topping DSE90 for a week now and compared it to the DAVE. Here are my subjective impressions. I think they'll be helpful for someone following this thread and wondering “how could all the glowing Chord reviews” be wrong.

Aside on blind testing since it's so often mentioned here. Blind would be ideal but I don’t think standardized blind testing will ever be the norm in audio except by the manufacturers. It’s too impractical for a consumer. (How can you really blind test headphones anyway, all of which feel different on your head? You can only really make a mock Utopia if you’re Focal). And I can’t imagine how you would do double blind testing on audio components. I don’t think subjective tests are pointless, though. The point of blind testing is to isolate causal factors to get rid of confounders (bias being the chief one here), but there are many areas in science where you cannot blind test. You get around this by increasing your data set. You measure the tested variable under many different circumstances and then use linear regression to determine whether the “causal” influence or weight to the tested variable. The idea being that with a large enough data set, the statistical noise added by possible confounders washes out.

Ok, I didn’t do quite that, just an amateur imitation of it. I tested the Topping vs. DAVE on multiple systems using 3 headphones and 2 loudspeakers. I also got my teenage age son to help me, which was partially a blind test because he doesn’t know the value difference of the DACs. I also tried tube amps and solid states. I tried on multiple days to minimize the “new toy” factor. I even tried in different rooms because my loudspeakers are in different locations. I used balanced XLR interconnects as well as unbalanced interconnects, although one of my amps only takes RCA interconnects. I tried CDs as well as Qobuz Flacs and Tidal MQA on Roon.

I was expecting a wash, but to my surprise the Topping D90SE was superior to the DAVE in every scenario. And the more expensive the speaker, the more the difference was noticeable for both me and my son. I have no idea about quality control or build quality of the Topping, I’ve only had it a week. But sonically, no contest for me.

I was shocked. I’m not even upset about the money factor, because my sound system, which I thought already sounded great, sounds even better. I was even thinking about letting anyone who is in NYC come check it out, but perhaps a better direction is: if you can afford the DAVE, the Topping is a less than 1/10 of the cost. So buy it, and compare honestly and see what you think. Take the DAVE out for a couple of days and see if you miss them. Meanwhile, I sent the DAVE in for measurements and let's see what they say.

I list the components below. As you can see, I have more tube amps right now than solid state so maybe that was a factor.

Rather than say all the usual things about sound quality, let me just say that I’m starting to think the point of a DAC is to simply to get out of the way as cleanly as possible. I feel like the Topping DE90 does that better than the DAVE. It allows my speakers and amp to do what they’re supposed to. If you like euphonic distortions, get a nice tube amp rather than go through the the DAC to get it.

And spend most of your budget on speakers, as opposed to 50% which is what most dealers will try to tell you.

I don’t want to bash Chord. The DAVE is a great sounding DAC. But it was released in 2015. I think it has been left in the dust with some of the newer products coming out now at a much cheaper price point.

Speakers used: BW 802D4 tower, BW 805D bookshelf, Hifiman Shangrila, Hifiman Susvara, Focal Utopia
Amps: Airtight ATM-300, Primaluna EVO 400, Danatone Headspace, Peachtree Nova 500
I appreciate you sending the Dave in for review. Not many people are brave enough to send in extremely expensive hardware for review either due to fear of shipping loss or fear of being proven wrong

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately we’re a long LONG way away from realizing the prospective benefits of this bench study, for which there are a lot of them one could get excited about. But even if this discovery gains traction, it’s got to be translated into a clinical target first, and that takes a lot of venture capital and someone really innovative to come up with a pragmatic therapeutic intervention. Then there’s the years of animal studies, and assuming it makes it past that, a predictable period of Phase I, II and III trials—before it even gets to the FDA.

Assuming this phenomenon could be translated into a drug or procedure, the average time from concept to market is a decade minimum and easily 3-4 billion dollars—and then you‘ve got to justify it’s cost-benefit ratio and profitability. And for a lifestyle-enhancement treatment such as this, there ain’t no way any insurance company will cover it—so there has to be enough super wealthy folk out there who care enough to spend a fortune retrieving those lost 10,000 hz.

By then you’ll be topping out at 8,000 hz max! Better off to hope for hearing aid devices that are audiophile quality—that’s my unsolicited advice to you! :)

Dogcoop

The mere fact that you are describing this thing like a Ming Vase or a Fabergé Egg tells me all I need to know about why you bought it—that’s exactly how Chord has managed to position it, solely through their pricing strategy. The innards of the D90se are every bit as sophisticated and subject to wear and tear as that glowing, colorful brick you’re treating like the briefcase in “Pulp Fiction”—and the D90se does the job more impressively and ergonomically than that precious DAVE, as should be evident here.

Isn’t it a bit obvious that you’re treating it as a priceless possession (instead of enjoying it for its alleged purpose) because it is priced out of reach and positioned in the market as the Rolls Royce of DAC/amps, a view that Watts pays sites a lot of money to perpetuate? This is Chord’s shell game and you’re the lackey sir, please forgive my bluntness.

I am left to wonder, if it’s so delicate and irreplaceable in your mind, why you risked sending it for review on here? If I were a cynic I’d be suspicious that there was a bit of status-seeking motives going on here, because the DAVE is really not meant to be heard—it’s meant to be put under glass in the living room to glow conspicuously for party guests.

Before you get sore at me, wait!—there is one amazingly great thing about the DAVE, despite its middling performance. Turns out there’s a lot of folks dying to buy one of them used, and some of them are willing to cough up damn near close to what you paid for it!

My sincere advice to you is to run like hell over to Reverb, cash it out, and buy the system of your wildest dreams that’s readily available to you with plenty of profit left over. Keep your D90se, and throw that cash at the best headphones you can find. Even the best of them are perfectly robust to use without any fear, and they offer replacement ear pads that can arrive to you overnight whenever you need them…
I love Big Star, but I think you are a bit out of place in your remarks. I don’t know who made you the arbiter of ‘rightness,’ but you should be appreciative that jomungur sent his DAVE and M-Scaler for measurement so that you could make your comments. Jomungur did nothing to you and your remarks about his attitude towards the DAVE are out of place.

Jomungur

The mere fact that you are describing this thing like a Ming Vase or a Fabergé Egg tells me all I need to know about why you bought it—that’s exactly how Chord has managed to position it, solely through their pricing strategy. The innards of the D90se are every bit as sophisticated and subject to wear and tear as that glowing, colorful brick you’re treating like the briefcase in “Pulp Fiction”—and the D90se does the job more impressively and ergonomically than that precious DAVE, as should be evident here.

Isn’t it a bit obvious that you’re treating it as a priceless possession (instead of enjoying it for its alleged purpose) because it is priced out of reach and positioned in the market as the Rolls Royce of DAC/amps, a view that Watts pays sites a lot of money to perpetuate? This is Chord’s shell game and you’re the lackey sir, please forgive my bluntness.

I am left to wonder, if it’s so delicate and irreplaceable in your mind, why you risked sending it for review on here? If I were a cynic I’d be suspicious that there was a bit of status-seeking motives going on here, because the DAVE is really not meant to be heard—it’s meant to be put under glass in the living room to glow conspicuously for party guests.

Before you get sore at me, wait!—there is one amazingly great thing about the DAVE, despite its middling performance. Turns out there’s a lot of folks dying to buy one of them used, and some of them are willing to cough up damn near close to what you paid for it!

My sincere advice to you is to run like hell over to Reverb, cash it out, and buy the system of your wildest dreams that’s readily available to you with plenty of profit left over. Keep your D90se, and throw that cash at the best headphones you can find. Even the best of them are perfectly robust to use without any fear, and they offer replacement ear pads that can arrive to you overnight whenever you need them…
I'm not sore at you, but man you are doing some serious psychoanalysis. My point was about how all kinds of psychological effects affect our perception of sound, including worrying about if they get damaged. How the mind plays tricks on you, which is the post I was replying to.

I already have the system of my dreams, thank you. I don't know what kind of parties you go to (or not go to), but no one outside of hardcore audiophiles know what a DAVE is. Much less stare at it. A lot of people think these high end things are about status, that's really funny. You're not going to impress any dates with your audio system. If you're trying to impress someone, you buy a fancy car, watch, yacht, etc. You think wealth and income is inversely correlated with intelligence?

I bought the DAVE because I was chasing sound, and thought the DAVE brought quality sound commensurate to its price. That's why everyone who buys the DAVE (or the M Scaler) buys them- they think they will bring incredible sound. That's why I was treating it so preciously, not because of the money but because I thought it would be difficult to replace. Now I know that's all wrong. I'll use a $5 DAC if that gives the best sound and isn't ugly. The new Hifiman one that is the size of a quarter looks tempting, actually.

You need to turn your reasoning around. Why would indeed would I send the DAVE to ASR if I cared so much about it? I tried the topping because after my initial embarassment about the M Scaler, I thought I should keep an open mind and try what ranked highest on Amir's ranking. If you read carefully, I sent the DAVE to ASR *after* I bought and tried the Topping. Because I knew I was done with the DAVE, and wanted to see what ASR's measurements showed.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I bought the DAVE because I was chasing sound, and thought the DAVE brought quality sound commensurate to its price. That's why everyone who buys the DAVE (or the M Scaler) buys them- they think they will bring incredible sound.
That's the core of it. The entire packaging including its design story sends buyers there if they can afford it. Even I had no idea that it was different until I tested it.

We are very fortunate to have had you send it in for testing without fear or disappointment. I know a ton of local high-end audiophiles with systems costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. None of them remotely want to have their stuff tested. Heck, the one with the expensive system said elsewhere something to the effect that he would shoot anyone who gets within a mile of his system to have it measured! Shame as he has incredible list of gear for us to test. I would be willing to take my gear to his house even but know as I just said that I would not at all be welcome.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'm not sore at you, but man you are doing some serious psychoanalysis. My point was about how all kinds of psychological effects affect our perception of sound, including worrying about if they get damaged. How the mind plays tricks on you, which is the post I was replying to.

I already have the system of my dreams, thank you. I don't know what kind of parties you go to (or not go to), but no one outside of hardcore audiophiles know what a DAVE is. Much less stare at it. A lot of people think these high end things are about status, that's really funny. You're not going to impress any dates with your audio system. If you're trying to impress someone, you buy a fancy car, watch, yacht, etc. You think wealth and income is inversely correlated with intelligence?

I bought the DAVE because I was chasing sound, and thought the DAVE brought quality sound commensurate to its price. That's why everyone who buys the DAVE (or the M Scaler) buys them- they think they will bring incredible sound. That's why I was treating it so preciously, not because of the money but because I thought it would be difficult to replace. Now I know that's all wrong. I'll use a $5 DAC if that gives the best sound and isn't ugly. The new Hifiman one that is the size of a quarter looks tempting, actually.

You need to turn your reasoning around. Why would indeed would I send the DAVE to ASR if I cared so much about it? I tried the topping because after my initial embarassment about the M Scaler, I thought I should keep an open mind and try what ranked highest on Amir's ranking. If you read carefully, I sent the DAVE to ASR *after* I bought and tried the Topping. Because I knew I was done with the DAVE, and wanted to see what ASR's measurements showed.
I think we all appreciate that you sent it in for testing. I don't agree with the other guys assessment that you thought it was a status item. I can understand how you felt about it because when you have something that is both rare and good; you definitely don't want to ruin it. If you later on find out that your "rare and good" device actually isn't so good and you could replace its performance (or even upgrade it) easily; then it isn't as big of a deal any longer.
I was very careful with my THX789 when I first got it (even though it isn't so expensive) because they were in massive shortage for about a year after they came out. The prices people were paying was huge and I knew if I broke it; I wouldn't be able to get another one. So I really did take care of it.
Similarly I have an Oppo PM-2 which I really like; but I know it is rare and cannot just be replaced.

I am glad you went on this journey and your eyes were opened. Now you can let go of the products and put some nice cash into your pocket for possibly some nice future audio devices.... as we all know this journey never really ends.
That's the core of it. The entire packaging including its design story sends buyers there if they can afford it. Even I had no idea that it was different until I tested it.

We are very fortunate to have had you send it in for testing without fear or disappointment. I know a ton of local high-end audiophiles with systems costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. None of them remotely want to have their stuff tested. Heck, the one with the expensive system said elsewhere something to the effect that he would shoot anyone who gets within a mile of his system to have it measured! Shame as he has incredible list of gear for us to test. I would be willing to take my gear to his house even but know as I just said that I would not at all be welcome.
Scary that some people actually feel this way. Specifically not wanting their gear to be measured. I guess they invested so much in it that they wouldn't be able to handle the ego shock if it came back as crap.... I have a friend who had amassed a serious bit of kit; but it would cost like $1k to mail it to you so he decided against it as he was going to sell it.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

@Jomungur apparently is classy and self-assured enough not to be sore at you for this comment. But your post is still gratuitous and condescending - not to mention hypocritical, as IMHO the evidence for status-seeking is much stronger in your comment than it is in Jomungur's gracious act of sending this unit in to Amir for testing.

(After all, even if it had tested exceptionally well, that level of performance would still be available for a fraction of the price, and so Jomungur would be open to that critique no matter what, and must have known that before sending the unit in. So clearly they were not status-seeking by sending it in.)

raif71

Major Contributor
I have also had similar experiences but with "tour" items that my friends would get and bring to my house quite regularly.
We had amps and DAC's that cost $1000-8000 on "Tour" and we would have regular headphone meets to try them out. We were astonished multiple times when my DX7 or my other buddies D50 would stomp all over more expensive stuff.... even with the Topping A30 Amp or JDS O2 would walk all over $2000 Amps just obviously. We did listen to a few things over the years that we liked (although it wasn't source equipment) and ended up purchasing later on.

I took my setup to south florida headphone meet ups friends organized (a couple had like 30+ people turn out) and typically there would be a line of people waiting to listen to my "controversial Topping Stack". The last meet up I went to; I had just gotten the THX AAA 789 and paired it with my DX7 w/ passthrough for my O2.
Basically everyone at the meet ups wanted to listen to my setup and most really loved it. Brought their own headphones and tried it out (sometimes more than one at a time, due to the multitude of outputs). We drove other DAC's & Amps from the DX7 Coax output sometimes as well for AB testing.
Most people were really astonished to hear how "clean" my setup sounded. With most of the people showing up to the meets around that time having schiit gear, or other boutique brands sold by Moon audio. Some really expensive stuff even, and these guys were just in disbelief lol
I take it there was no volume matching (since there was no mention)? If not, it is kind of refreshing to see these kind of gears comparison just with ears and enjoying listening to music. :)

Guermantes

Scary that some people actually feel this way. Specifically not wanting their gear to be measured. I guess they invested so much in it that they wouldn't be able to handle the ego shock if it came back as crap.... I have a friend who had amassed a serious bit of kit; but it would cost like $1k to mail it to you so he decided against it as he was going to sell it.
I can understand it, actually. The stakes are perhaps too high and the possibility of psychological damage has to be taken into account. The measurements have the potential to suck all the joy out of his Hi-Fi experience, so better to avoid it.

I watched a BBC program by Michael Mosley where he had a complete DNA profile done and it included whether there were genetic risk indicators for Parkinson's Disease. He said he didn't want to look at that because he wasn't prepared to go through life with the knowledge that he was likely to develop it down the track.

Sometimes the stark and impassive light of science is not particularly comforting.

bearcatsandor

I can understand it, actually. The stakes are perhaps too high and the possibility of psychological damage has to be taken into account. The measurements have the potential to suck all the joy out of his Hi-Fi experience, so better to avoid it.

I watched a BBC program by Michael Mosley where he had a complete DNA profile done and it included whether there were genetic risk indicators for Parkinson's Disease. He said he didn't want to look at that because he wasn't prepared to go through life with the knowledge that he was likely to develop it down the track.

Sometimes the stark and impassive light of science is not particularly comforting.
I appreciate the way your comments conflict with your signature of "The highest activity a human being can attain is learning for understanding, because to understand is to be free. -- Spinoza" (copied here for context in case your signature changes)

Lukino

It somehow drags through expensive power cables, USB, network cables, speaker cables, super 3D DAC. Thanks to serious members and Amir and similar people, we find that these areas are only using beliefs... about investing a lot of money in devices without technological sense. It is thanks to this forum and people who are not afraid of the truth that we can buy devices that have a price that makes sense and the sound is the best. Slowly those areas are eliminated in the sound. The character of the *Engineer* who tells fairy tales from the realm of dreams and business companies is declining.;)

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I'd respedctfully suggest we might, as most headphones go all over the place at those frequencies (either design or auditory system reflections?) and simply cranking up 15k so you can perceive it with no level checking? The plots the audiologists kindly copied and gave me show something like a 40dB drop in the mid kHz region (no wonder most speakers tended to sound sucked-out with tinsel on top to me) and only very partial recovery above. I put it down to Rhinitis but sadly that's not the case here although the latter doesn't help obviousy. The way our/my brain reacted though, was to the loss of sensitivity to reflected sounds as they're at a much lower level generally. I'll hopefully get the chance to listen to different things 'for fun' still, but critically? No chance unless there's a well known (to me) reference to directly compare.
OK, you got me, although I'm thinking of a simple sweep from high to low, where the level is fixed and sensible (reasonably loud at, say, 1 kHz). :)

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love Big Star, but I think you are a bit out of place in your remarks. I don’t know who made you the arbiter of ‘rightness,’ but you should be appreciative that jomungur sent his DAVE and M-Scaler for measurement so that you could make your comments. Jomungur did nothing to you and your remarks about his attitude towards the DAVE are out of place.
Fair enough. I apologize.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You’re absolutely right, it wasn’t fair, and I was upset about another issue that I experienced on this forum and took it out on you. You didn’t deserve it, and it was magnanimous for you to send in your DAVE for review here. I will give serious thought to my motives, and I sincerely apologize. Peace to you.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You’re right. I deleted my post, it wasn’t a fair comment. I wasn’t in a good place when I wrote it, and I apologize.
Deleting posts is interrupting the flow of the commentary. It's not real time if we delete stuff after the fact. :D

Top Bottom