• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8351B Review (Studio Monitor)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Non-parallel walls are much better since main room modes can’t build up.
Non-parallel walls reduce flutter echo which is audible on higher frequencies than the room modes.

radio3

Why are recording studios mostly square then rather than trapezoid, kite, or generally irregular? Why they arent commonly built on top floors with slanting ceilings etc?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Why are recording studios mostly square then rather than trapezoid, kite, or generally irregular? Why they arent commonly built on top floors with slanting ceilings etc?
They're not - at least, ones with some design in them aren't.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They are not, their control room are certainly never square. It is the worst shape for acoustics. You may want to check what you are saying to be valid before stating it as a fact.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean amateur home studios or custom designed professional studios?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You mean amateur home studios or custom designed professional studios?
I think they are called bedroom studios, not "recording" studios? :)

radio3

I meant square corned rather than literally equal length walls everywhere

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Pretty impressive
Screenshot_20220506-190217_Chrome.jpg

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just thinking this through. The sound of waves breaking on a beach, there'd be quite a lot of low frequency in that, and he's talking about being able to identify human voices & dog barking which is higher up the frequency range. Now if you were going to be trying to identify such extraneous noise as those two examples, then you'd want to be focussing on those higher frequency ranges (not the bass), so wouldn't you just use a Low Shelf EQ or High Pass EQ to reduce the presence of the bass so that the other frequencies weren't as masked - and then you'd more easily identify those extraneous noises to remove. I have no experience in music/sound creation, so I don't know if people in the industry would do it this way, I'm just thinking it through.

What are the other factors of your gear you'd need to optimise to pick out these extraneous elements you want to remove. Low distortion speakers or headphones - headphones win on this if you choose the right one. A smooth frequency response in the mids & treble perhaps, so that there are no sharp/deep peaks & troughs that can cause ommittance or overemphasis.....the Genelecs would win on this as headphones are unpredictable how they interact with your anatomy in the treble area (& mids to some extent to).

Additional thought, if you were trying to pick out stuff that was wrong in the bass (defects) then you'd either need a fantastically treated room & a great speaker like the Genelecs, or headphones would win on this one if you choose one with low enough distortion in the bass and EQ it up the Harman Curve for example, or choose a headphone that is already well extended in the bass - no room modes to cloud up the bass - maximum definition.

I was just trying to think this through to work out how Genelecs would have helped him do what he's saying. Having thought it through I don't think Genelecs would have to be the key to this success as I think you could tackle the problem using EQ to help unmask the extraneous sounds (the Low Shelf or High Pass to reduce the bass when listening for the sounds) you want to identify and/or choose the right headphone with the right EQ to iron out the frequency response errors of the headphone. I'm not saying Genelecs are not the best speaker to use for this kind of thing, they probably are.....but I don't think there's a magical quality to them that makes it a necessary for such work.....just thinking it through & playing devils advocate. Looking forward to people in the industry or experienced knowledgeable users here to comment on my thoughts.....these are just my thoughts (caveat!).

Martigane

I agree with Mr Robbo above.

If this audio track would really be a testament to how resolving a system is; then it would be very interesting to upload both uncorrected and corrected wav files so that poeple can try for themselves and even point out timestamps of audible anomalies.

I guess phase will be a major discrepancy between headphones and speakers as well, so certain elements of the soundstage might pop up a lot more on speakers.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In iZotope RX (the software the guy uses) you can SEE sounds. He shouldn't have missed them visually in the first the place.

The story sounds weird to me and proves nothing.

Pe8er

Just installed these today and boy, they are amazing. I'm grinning like the time when I first heard good headphones, just now it's about soundstage rather than details. I mean incredible detail is still there, I'm just used to it, having listened to good headphones for years. But the soundstage! No headphone can dream of creating such realistic image.

IMG_4149.jpeg

Set them up in my home office. GLM calibration was quick and eliminated boominess of bass, although I still hear a bunch of reflections. Having read the GRADE report (generated in mere minutes, wow), it's time to treat the room.

I originally got 8331s and decided to upgrade right away. Sound is basically the same, the only difference is that 8351 extends lower into bass, so I don't need a sub…yet.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just installed these today and boy, they are amazing. I'm grinning like the time when I first heard good headphones, just now it's about soundstage rather than details. I mean incredible detail is still there, I'm just used to it, having listened to good headphones for years. But the soundstage! No headphone can dream of creating such realistic image.

View attachment 220514

Set them up in my home office. GLM calibration was quick and eliminated boominess of bass, although I still hear a bunch of reflections. Having read the GRADE report (generated in mere minutes, wow), it's time to treat the room.

I originally got 8331s and decided to upgrade right away. Sound is basically the same, the only difference is that 8351 extends lower into bass, so I don't need a sub…yet.
I hate you. Kidding, I lust.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

View attachment 220514

Do you feel the soundstage is wide and deep or more focused?
Can you hear sounds coming from "behind" the monitors?
Congrats.

lordhumungous

View attachment 220514

Ive sold quite of bit of used electronics and one big regret was selling a pair of Genelecs i bought. Should have kept them. 8030a's i believe.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 220514

Obviously, the table is presenting lots of reflections, how do you plan to treat it? Giant mousepads? I have 3x 8351 about six inches off the ground in L/C/R and even with carpeting, reflections show up (in a significant way) on the GRADE report. placing thick wool carpeting didn't help much and ultimately, looks like I'd have to raise them further off the ground.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Obviously, the table is presenting lots of reflections, how do you plan to treat it? Giant mousepads? I have 3x 8351 about six inches off the ground in L/C/R and even with carpeting, reflections show up (in a significant way) on the GRADE report. placing thick wool carpeting didn't help much and ultimately, looks like I'd have to raise them further off the ground.
Why are they so low?

Top Bottom