• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SPDIF to USB converter for audio measurements

BLMN

Hi, I'm planning to replace my audio card with an external one for analog audio measurement. This one https://www.rme-audio.de/ADI-2-FS.html is a good choice, however, it does not have an USB interface, only SPDIF in/out.

I'm thinking of using a SPDIF/USB converter, but I don't know if it would work with my software (Virtins over Windows 10).

I saw this converter (https://hifimediy.com/product/s2-digi/) at an affordable price and, since I'm not an expert in the digital audio field, I'm asking if someone here has experience on doing this and if it works.

Regards and TKS in advance.

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
TKS Marcos!

I asked Virtins support about it, and they just replied that the ADI2 FS is only an ADC/DAC converter and, therefore, cannot be controlled by Virtins.

Regards,

Corrected with https://www.corrector.co/

You won't be able to control the RME in Windows but you can use the SPDIF to USB card to capture the RME SPDIF output for measurement purposes. As long as you match the RME sample rate and the hifime S2 sample rate you should be good to go. In my experience the hifime S2 works with sample rates up to 192 kHz which matches the max RME sample rate so it is not like you would be limited from a sample rate perspective either.

Michael

OP
B

BLMN

You won't be able to control the RME in Windows but you can use the SPDIF to USB card to capture the RME SPDIF output for measurement purposes. As long as you match the RME sample rate and the hifime S2 sample rate you should be good to go. In my experience the hifime S2 works with sample rates up to 192 kHz which matches the max RME sample rate so it is not like you would be limited from a sample rate perspective either.

Michael
Tks! I returned the question to Virtins´ support adding the converter in the configuration. I really don't know how the RME would appear in the DAC/ADC setup of the Virtins software and what happens with the RME´s ASIO driver in this case. When they return, I´ll let you guys know.

Regards,

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Tks! I returned the question to Virtins´ support adding the converter in the configuration. I really don't know how the RME would appear in the DAC/ADC setup of the Virtins software and what happens with the RME´s ASIO driver in this case. When they return, I´ll let you guys know.

Regards,

RME will not have a driver or appear at all to your computer as it is not a USB device. All that your computer will see is the hifime S2 which you will use a capture device.

Michael

OP
B

BLMN

RME will not have a driver or appear at all to your computer as it is not a USB device. All that your computer will see is the hifime S2 which you will use a capture device.

Michael
So, Virtins, in this case, will see the ADC/DAC ASIO driver of hifime S2 (if it has one)? Tks for your kindly replies.

OP
B

BLMN

For update, after some research, I decided to the MOTU Ultralite MK5. It has the USB interface built-in and ASIO drivers. It is positioned at the same price range of RME ADI-2 FS and with a lot more resources.

Using the Main Out (1,2) and inputs 7 and 8 at 0dB ref and 48kHz sampling (loopback), Virtins returned the following results, at -3dBFS and -12dBFS.

It's a very good interface, IMHO.

Regards,

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-08-30 at 17.20.21.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-30 at 17.20.21.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 76
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-08-31 at 14.59.11.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-08-31 at 14.59.11.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 75
Top Bottom