• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They update the roadmap again Amazon UHD release suppose to get release on 8/5 but got push back to 8/15.

Brantome

Major Contributor
They update the roadmap again Amazon UHD release suppose to get release on 8/5 but got push back to 8/15.
8/5 was probably a typo if you look at the two week pattern. I see they’ve also dropped “parametric” from their description of EQ on https://wiimhome.com/Roadmap which seems to be the one they're updating rather than ./whatsNew

Update: I see they've updated some of the bug fixes for the 7/27 release, including a couple I submitted for AMHD

Last edited:

Green7

Looks like the Firmware updated to 4.6.424434 overnight. The kbps calculation is correct and display looks good.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
> Release WiiM Home App for PC and macOS

Ugh. Please, no. Just a universal PWA, please...

jmtocali

Looks like the Firmware updated to 4.6.424434 overnight. The kbps calculation is correct and display looks good.
Here are the release notes
Screenshot_20220727_113923_com.linkplay.wiimhome-01.jpeg

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
The release was for official not beta user.
I'm used to the schema where raising a build id means that the build is cumulative for any changes implemented in lower builds of the same build id pattern. Which also means that betas are kind of release candidates, no experimental builds not being merged with changes from main branch.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
8/5 was probably a typo if you look at the two week pattern. I see they’ve also dropped “parametric” from their description of EQ on https://wiimhome.com/Roadmap which seems to be the one they're updating rather than ./whatsNew

Update: I see they've updated some of the bug fixes for the 7/27 release, including a couple I submitted for AMHD
You still on beta?

egbx

Is anyone getting true gapless through the SPDIF out? I get very annoying gaps even within the same album. I would understand hiccups if changing sample rates between tracks, but within the same album, it should be seamless. It seems like the SPDIF stream stops between tracks. Wiim (vaguely) acknowledges and says they’re working on it. Any more insights?

eduardo

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Is anyone getting true gapless through the SPDIF out? I get very annoying gaps even within the same album. I would understand hiccups if changing sample rates between tracks, but within the same album, it should be seamless. It seems like the SPDIF stream stops between tracks. Wiim (vaguely) acknowledges and says they’re working on it. Any more insights?

eduardo
Pretty much seamless on my RME DAC. I think they shut down the LED between tracks, so some DACs may not play nice with that. They should shut it off after a fixed delay, like 5 secs of silence or so, which is what I do with squeezelite; this tells the RME that the optical stream is done, so go ahead and switch back to the USB input. Same thing with the Coax input - turn off the carrier after 5 secs of no signal.

Bamyasi

eduardo
Me too. I have my WiiM mini connected via optical S/PDIF automatic switch and those constant TOSLINK carrier off/on flips between the tracks (on the same album, yes) are causing annoying 3 sec audio dropouts at the beginning of each track, while the switch shuts down its TOSLINK input port and then re-scans ports and re-negotiates connection for the same port with WiiM mini again. Very annoying, WiiM mini is the only streamer I've ever seen doing this. Hopefully, they will fix this behavior in the upcoming firmware, with the announced proper gapless playback implementation.

I have already submitted a ticket via WiiM app feedback and got confirmation via e-mail that someone from WiiM development team will be looking at it.

egbx

Pretty much seamless on my RME DAC. I think they shut down the LED between tracks, so some DACs may not play nice with that. They should shut it off after a fixed delay, like 5 secs of silence or so, which is what I do with squeezelite; this tells the RME that the optical stream is done, so go ahead and switch back to the USB input. Same thing with the Coax input - turn off the carrier after 5 secs of no signal.
I hope they are not shutting off the SPDIF stream between tracks of the same sampling rate/bit depth. This is PCM 101 - the ability to play seamlessly between tracks. CDs have been doing it from the very beginning. Shutting off the SPDIF stream between track 1 and track 2 serves no purpose and creates problems.
Perhaps the RME re-locks so quickly that in most cases, with material that was not gapless to begin with (files start and end with silence), it is acceptable.
I don’t expect seamless changes of sampling rate. You can only achieve that if you are employing SRC on the fly, and crossfading. I’m happy without that, in exchange for “bit perfect“ playback of material that is originally seamless i.e. live albums etc.

eduardo

simbun

Has anybody got the WiiM acting as a UPnP renderer with MinimServer?
I'm using MinimServer as the music source and BubbleUPnP as the control point (which has been flawless until now) and every time I try and cast a music file (be it flac or mp3) to the WiiM, BubbleUPnP presents the error 'Invalid MIME-type or resource not find (code: 714)'. If I play those files to other renderers or the local BubbleUPnP renderer it's fine.
I've tried with Hi-Fi Cast and received exactly the same message.
If I tell MinimServer to transcode those files (which I usually do when shuffling so I can apply replaygain) everything works as expected.
If I use the WiiM Home app to browse MinimServer (instead of BubbleUPnP) and play to the WiiM Mini it works as expected.
If I have AssetUPnP or Plex serve those files via BubbleUPnP, everything works as expected.

Every other permutation seems to work except MinimServer to the WiiM via a UPnP controller.

Thanks in advance.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Has anybody got the WiiM acting as a UPnP renderer with MinimServer?
I'm using MinimServer as the music source and BubbleUPnP as the control point (which has been flawless until now) and every time I try and cast a music file (be it flac or mp3) to the WiiM, BubbleUPnP presents the error 'Invalid MIME-type or resource not find (code: 714)'. If I play those files to other renderers or the local BubbleUPnP renderer it's fine.
I've tried with Hi-Fi Cast and received exactly the same message.
If I tell MinimServer to transcode those files (which I usually do when shuffling so I can apply replaygain) everything works as expected.
If I use the WiiM Home app to browse MinimServer (instead of BubbleUPnP) and play to the WiiM Mini it works as expected.
If I have AssetUPnP or Plex serve those files via BubbleUPnP, everything works as expected.

Every other permutation seems to work except MinimServer to the WiiM via a UPnP controller.

Thanks in advance.
What happens if you transcode in BubbleUPnP for WiiM in BubbleUPnP renderer settings? Or when you disable Mimetype check in the same settings?

simbun

What happens if you transcode in BubbleUPnP for WiiM in BubbleUPnP renderer settings? Or when you disable Mimetype check in the same settings?
Thanks for the suggestions.

Disabling the MIME-type check makes no difference at all, resulting in the same error message.
If I change FFmpeg audio decoding to 'Audio formats not natively supported' then I get the same result, only if I force decoding to 'All audio formats' does it work, which is akin to MimimServer doing it.

The WiiM is connecting to MinimServer to get the file, but from the trace logs (of MinimServer) we can see that it closes the connection early.

I have created a ticket with WiiM but was hoping to find someone who can confirm my findings.

egbx

I hope they are not shutting off the SPDIF stream between tracks of the same sampling rate/bit depth. This is PCM 101 - the ability to play seamlessly between tracks. CDs have been doing it from the very beginning. Shutting off the SPDIF stream between track 1 and track 2 serves no purpose and creates problems.
Perhaps the RME re-locks so quickly that in most cases, with material that was not gapless to begin with (files start and end with silence), it is acceptable.
I don’t expect seamless changes of sampling rate. You can only achieve that if you are employing SRC on the fly, and crossfading. I’m happy without that, in exchange for “bit perfect“ playback of material that is originally seamless i.e. live albums etc.

eduardo
I just noticed that playing Spotify, SPDIF remains locked solid between tracks, including crossfades, no gap issues. AMHD (which is what I really wanted out of the Wiim) is what is turning off SPDIF between tracks. I hope they can fix this. No good for me in it’s present state.

Eduardo

Bamyasi

I just noticed that playing Spotify, SPDIF remains locked solid between tracks, including crossfades, no gap issues. AMHD (which is what I really wanted out of the Wiim) is what is turning off SPDIF between tracks. I hope they can fix this. No good for me in it’s present state.

Eduardo
Please report this bug via feedback option in the app, the more reports they get the faster it will be fixed.

Top Bottom