• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

AlephAlpha001

Just took delivery of a pair of these with balanced 4.4mm cable about 2 hours ago. Let's just say so far so good! Will spare us all the descriptive word salads obligatory elsewhere.

They're just what I need to attenuate air conditioner and dehumidifier background noise when I'm working from home during the Hong Kong Summer.

Have tried driving them with Topping A90 (obviously no problems there) and also my FiiO M11 Plus running on battery. It's nice to have headphones to use with the DAP which don't require equalization as I get along well with the Harman Curve. Will have to do a battery run-down test on the DAP to see how things go.

Anyway I'm a very satisfied customer. Amazing work, Dan and your team!

dougq

I rec
Just took delivery of a pair of these with balanced 4.4mm cable about 2 hours ago. Let's just say so far so good! Will spare us all the descriptive word salads obligatory elsewhere.

They're just what I need to attenuate air conditioner and dehumidifier background noise when I'm working from home during the Hong Kong Summer.

Have tried driving them with Topping A90 (obviously no problems there) and also my FiiO M11 Plus running on battery. It's nice to have headphones to use with the DAP which don't require equalization as I get along well with the Harman Curve. Will have to do a battery run-down test on the DAP to see how things go.

Anyway I'm a very satisfied customer. Amazing work, Dan and your team!
did yours come in the new box? I just got my new one and it is not the fold up / down box as on the website, but where the top sits over the top and comes directly off.

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is there any explanation for the small bump? Is that an artifact?

AlephAlpha001

I rec

did yours come in the new box? I just got my new one and it is not the fold up / down box as on the website, but where the top sits over the top and comes directly off.
Mine also arrived in a box with a lid, not one of these fancy-pants hinged presentation cases that my HE1000SE and HD800s came in.

PointyFox

By adding ballast to the cups this might be a surmountable challenge, seeing as the headband and strap are near identical.

I know it's an old post, but instead of adding weight, both headphones could be pulled upward by random amounts.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
As a person who loves the Aeon; this looks like the "Super Aeon" with everything perfected. $4k is just too big of a price for me to justify though.... I'd also have to hear both side by side to see how much of a difference it makes. @amirm compares it to OLED TV's; but that is a whole other level of performance. I can't imagine it is that amazing lol

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As a person who loves the Aeon; this looks like the "Super Aeon" with everything perfected. $4k is just too big of a price for me to justify though.... I'd also have to hear both side by side to see how much of a difference it makes. @amirm compares it to OLED TV's; but that is a whole other level of performance. I can't imagine it is that amazing lol
It's an absolute bargain when sat next to this DAC:
Ha, but yeah, $4k is still a lot for a headphone, I wouldn't do it.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
It's an absolute bargain when sat next to this DAC:
Ha, but yeah, $4k is still a lot for a headphone, I wouldn't do it.
Well definitely. But at the same time I can buy state of the art performance for $300. If I could buy a headphone that sounds like this for $300 then I would do it.
I actually just got the Hi-Fi man Ananda after wanting one for years because I scooped up one at 50% MSRP ($350) shipped on ebay. Very lightly used.
I've got an Aeon Flow Closed & OPPO PM-2, paid around $500 for each one many years ago now.

I've been very happy with them for what I spent. If the stealth is really that much better I would love to hear it but it still wouldn't mean I would spend four grand.

Just like 4 years I wanted a Sony master series. Almost since I was a kid LOL then in 2020 there was a sale that was more than 50% off for prime day. So I got a Sony A8H 65-in for about $1600.
More than I ever spent on a TV but I went for it when I finally had the chance.
Today there are more OLED (and even master series) options for less money. I can hold out and hope that the stealth becomes cheaper with time too.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well definitely. But at the same time I can buy state of the art performance for $300. If I could buy a headphone that sounds like this for $300 then I would do it.
I actually just got the Hi-Fi man Ananda after wanting one for years because I scooped up one at 50% MSRP ($350) shipped on ebay. Very lightly used.
I've got an Aeon Flow Closed & OPPO PM-2, paid around $500 for each one many years ago now.

I've been very happy with them for what I spent. If the stealth is really that much better I would love to hear it but it still wouldn't mean I would spend four grand.

Just like 4 years I wanted a Sony master series. Almost since I was a kid LOL then in 2020 there was a sale that was more than 50% off for prime day. So I got a Sony A8H 65-in for about $1600.
More than I ever spent on a TV but I went for it when I finally had the chance.
Today there are more OLED (and even master series) options for less money. I can hold out and hope that the stealth becomes cheaper with time too.
I'd imagine DCA will release some more affordable headphones in the future that borrow some of the technology incorporated in the Stealth in terms of the "metamaterial", although it does make you think, would they really release another Harman Curve Hugger but at a cheaper price.......I suppose yes, but I think from a business point of view they'd want to maximise sales of The Stealth first before they release anything that could directly compete with it......how many years it would take for them to be in a position to be able to manufacture & release a good (or better) value Harman Hugger with technology learnt from The Stealth I don't know.....(if that is ever even gonna be on their radar). It'll be interesting to see what happens in the headphone market both in DCA & other companies.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I'd imagine DCA will release some more affordable headphones in the future that borrow some of the technology incorporated in the Stealth in terms of the "metamaterial", although it does make you think, would they really release another Harman Curve Hugger but at a cheaper price.......I suppose yes, but I think from a business point of view they'd want to maximise sales of The Stealth first before they release anything that could directly compete with it......how many years it would take for them to be in a position to be able to manufacture & release a good (or better) value Harman Hugger with technology learnt from The Stealth I don't know.....(if that is ever even gonna be on their radar). It'll be interesting to see what happens in the headphone market both in DCA & other companies.
Well when the Aeon originally came out it was one of the best if not the best headphone according to the Harmon frequency curve. It seems that they have just outdone themselves again. I'm not sure about how great the Aeon II was as I don't have one and have never listened to it. This is why I said I would like to compare my original aeon flow closed to the stealth to see just how much they have improved it over these years.
I would imagine that if they can scale the Products Manufacturing a bit that bringing the price down would Garner them way more sales because $4,000 is a very Niche territory that most enthusiasts will not touch.

ra990

Well when the Aeon originally came out it was one of the best if not the best headphone according to the Harmon frequency curve. It seems that they have just outdone themselves again. I'm not sure about how great the Aeon II was as I don't have one and have never listened to it. This is why I said I would like to compare my original aeon flow closed to the stealth to see just how much they have improved it over these years.
I would imagine that if they can scale the Products Manufacturing a bit that bringing the price down would Garner them way more sales because $4,000 is a very Niche territory that most enthusiasts will not touch.
The Aeon 2 Noir hugs the harman target nearly as well as the Stealth does.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I've seen a few people say that. One of my close friends mentioned the same thing to me as well.
Still expensive though and I'd want to audition it with my current aeon to see if it's worth the upgrade.

lovesegfault

I have both, but I must say the difference is staggering between them. The Aeon 2 Noirs don't sound bad, but there's something lacking in their sound that always bothered me. I won't try to explain what is missing, but I essentially only kept the Aeon 2's because they were comfortable and sounded OK.

The Stealths are remarkable, and probably my favorite audio experience bar none. They really do sound like speakers in a treated room, the effect is surprisingly strong.

All this is to say: Small differences in measurement between these two headphones represent a massive difference in perceived sound.

It goes without saying that this is just my anecdotal experience, so take it with a grain of salt.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have both, but I must say the difference is staggering between them. The Aeon 2 Noirs don't sound bad, but there's something lacking in their sound that always bothered me. I won't try to explain what is missing, but I essentially only kept the Aeon 2's because they were comfortable and sounded OK.

The Stealths are remarkable, and probably my favorite audio experience bar none. They really do sound like speakers in a treated room, the effect is surprisingly strong.

All this is to say: Small differences in measurement between these two headphones represent a massive difference in perceived sound.

It goes without saying that this is just my anecdotal experience, so take it with a grain of salt.
I wonder if @amirm has heard the Aeon 2 and agrees with you since this is his new favorite headphone.

MayaTlab

Harman Curve Hugger
Well when the Aeon originally came out it was one of the best if not the best headphone according to the Harmon frequency curve.

Quick illustration from Sean Olive himself of the importance of coupling using in-ear blocked ear canal mics :

FYNRmTCVQAA0By8.jpeg

I.e. there isn't a single position where Sean Olive experienced the Stealth on head with the bass response it produces on an ear simulator.
On the other hand Resolve seemed to experience decent coupling from the Stealth :

For such headphones it's partly immaterial whether or not they adhere to any target, let alone the Harman target, as you have no guarantee that they can hit it consistently on your own head.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Quick illustration from Sean Olive himself of the importance of coupling using in-ear blocked ear canal mics :

View attachment 220703

I.e. there isn't a single position where Sean Olive experienced the Stealth on head with the bass response it produces on an ear simulator.
On the other hand Resolve seemed to experience decent coupling from the Stealth :

For such headphones it's partly immaterial whether or not they adhere to any target, let alone the Harman target, as you have no guarantee that they can hit it consistently on your own head.
Yup, this is undeniably an important part of how people experience their headphones - it's a good argument for choosing a headphone which gives reliable/similar results with different seatings (only small variations between seatings) and one that (I guess) anecdotally doesn't cause bass seal issues in user reviews.

JanesJr1

I did careful, level matched, bi-directional A/B comparisons between the Noire and the Closed X. When both were EQ'd to the Harman target, they sounded very similar, except as follows:

1. I liked the Closed X when I got it but thought the soundstage was very limited compared to what Drop claimed in their website. It was almost always somewhere between my ears, or at most, in the top of my forehead. When I compared to the Noire, the Noire had a much more consistent sound stage, most of the time not large, but realistic from 10 o'clock to 3 o'clock. With well-recorded material it could be quite deep and precise.

The increased soundstage also caused some difference in tonality between the Closed X and and the Noire. The Noire sounded more realistic with acoustic sources, more like sitting in an audience with balance between instruments. However, the mids could sound more recessed, and I later read Dan Clark alluding to this as part of the effort to create a better soundstage. The Closed X, particularly with vocals, could sound more forward in the mids, but there was less balance between instruments and less sense of being in an audience. This could be either an advantage for the Closed X (for example, when a good, female voice, close-miked, can sound attractive), or it could be a disadvantage (when there is less balance among instruments, and the soundstage is a straight line from ear to ear). But the part you said you are "missing" with the Noire might partly be the recessed mids, or the back-in-the-audience sound stage, however it occurs.

One would assume that EQing both headphones to the Oratory/Harman curve to assist comparison between the 'phones might erase the Noire's ostensible V-shaped FR and/or the sense of recessed mid's, but I still hear it. This is all psychoacoustics, so make your own comparison if you can. I find the Noire consistently better for classical and instrumental, and the closed X a little better for Rock, R&B, electronica and primarily-vocal recordings. Though on the whole, the two 'phones are more alike than different.

2. I'm not sure EQing the Noire to the Harman/Oratory curve is the best solution. The Noire (but not the Closed X), out of the box, has a bump in upper-bass frequencies between 60 and 160 Hz. (The Stealth has it, too.)

From Dan Clark's comments, there are two, related reasons for this bump. The most important is the reactions of listeners who are used to distortion-rich bass with dynamic speakers. As many have said, bass resonances are commonly heard to be increases in bass response, and Dan says newcomers to low-distortion planars may miss that level of perceived resonance and infer a lower bass response, when it in fact may be higher (not including the distortion).

He also avers that the bump in that FR region can increase the perception of "slam", because of the common percussion transients (like drum strikes) at these frequencies. And he notes that closed-back, planar phones need damping to prevent internal reflections, so that they may sound less dynamic.

Anyway, the bump is low enough in the bass so as to not bleed up into the mids, and I think it's a modest improvement for the Noire.

3. I found a difference in how percussion transients sound between the Noire and the Closed X. Especially with electronica, where there are fast but synthetic drum strikes, rim shots and the like, there is commonly a rapid attack and rapid decay ofr the transient, without resonance. I found the Closed X was more likely to sound extremely "fast" with such transients, like the snap of electricity, whereas the Noire sounded sometimes a little more like a hand-clap, or like a cross between a snap and a handclap (depending on the source material).

On the other hand, with acoustic (not synthetic) percussion transients, the Noire sounded better to me in picking up the acoustic decays of such transients, like the spreading of the drum strike across the drum-head, or the resonance of wood-on-wood effects, or the metal/wood timbre of a rimshot.

I heard these differences on enough selections to call them real, but it was more dependent on the source material; with some selections the differences were less obvious.

i said in another thread that I thought that people just listening to music might not notice much difference between the Noire and much less expensive Closed X, because their virtues are mostly shared virtues.
However, the time I put into all the A/B comparisons sensitized me to become a bit more averse to the "between-the-ears" aspect of the Cloased X, and more appreciative of the balance and soundstage of the Noire. But I still use both headphones, changing up sometimes based on what I'm doing or what kind of music I'm listening to.

Last edited:

Emlin

And...
I did careful, level matched, bi-directional A/B comparisons between the Noire and the Closed X. When both were EQ'd to the Harman target, they sounded very similar, except as follows:

1. I liked the Closed X when I got it but thought the soundstage was very limited compared to what Drop claimed in their website. It was almost always somewhere between my ears, or at most, in the top of my forehead. When I compared to the Noire, the Noire had a much more consistent sound stage, most of the time not large, but realistic from 10 o'clock to 3 o'clock. With well-recorded material it could be quite deep and precise.

The increased soundstage also caused some difference in tonality between the Closed X and and the Noire. The Noire sounded more realistic with acoustic sources, more like sitting in an audience with balance between instruments. However, the mids could sound more recessed, and I later read Dan Clark alluding to this as part of the effort to create a better soundstage. The Closed X, particularly with vocals, could sound more forward in the mids, but there was less balance between instruments and less sense of being in an audience. This could be either an advantage for the Closed X (for example, when a good, female voice, close-miked, can sound attractive), or it could be a disadvantage (when there is less balance among instruments, and the soundstage is a straight line from ear to ear). But the part you said you are "missing" with the Noire might partly be the recessed mids, or the back-in-the-audience sound stage, however it occurs.

One would assume that EQing both headphones to the Oratory/Harman curve to assist comparison between the 'phones might erase the Noire's ostensible V-shaped FR and/or the sense of recessed mid's, but I still hear it. This is all psychoacoustics, so make your own comparison if you can. I find the Noire consistently better for classical and instrumental, and the closed X a little better for Rock, R&B, electronica and primarily-vocal recordings. Though on the whole, the two 'phones are more alike than different.

2. I'm not sure EQing the Noire to the Harman/Oratory curve is the best solution. The Noire (but not the Closed X), out of the box, has a bump in upper-bass frequencies between 60 and 160 Hz. (The Stealth has it, too.)

From Dan Clark's comments, there are two, related reasons for this bump. The most important is the reactions of listeners who are used to distortion-rich bass using dynamic speakers. As many have said, bass resonances are commonly heard to be increases in bass response, and Dan says newcomers to low-distortion planars may miss that level of perceived resonance and infer a lower bass response, when it in fact may be higher (not including the distortion).

He also avers that the bump in that FR region can increase the perception of "slam", because of the common percussion transients (like drum strikes) at these frequencies. And he notes that closed-back, planar phones need damping to prevent internal reflections, so that they may sound less dynamic.

Anyway, the bump is low enough in the bass so as to not bleed up into the mids, and I think it's a modest improvement for the Noire.

3. I found a difference in how percussion transients sound between the Noire and the Closed X. Especially with electronica, where there are fast but synthetic drum strikes, rim shots and the like, there is commonly a rapid attack and rapid decay ofr the transient, without resonance. I found the Closed X was more likely to sound extremely "fast" with such transients, like the snap of electricity, whereas the Noire sounded sometimes a little more like a hand-clap, or like a cross between a snap and a handclap (depending on the source material).

On the other hand, with acoustic (not synthetic) percussion transients, the Noire sounded better to me in picking up the acoustic decays of such transients, like the spreading of the drum strike across the drum-head, or the resonance of wood-on-wood effects, or the metal/wood timbre of a rimshot.

I heard these differences on enough selections to call them real, but it was more dependent on the source material; with some selections the differences were less obvious.

i said in another thread that I thought that people just listening to music might not notice much difference between the Noire and much less expensive Closed X, because their virtues are mostly shared virtues.
However, the time I put into all the A/B comparisons sensitized me to become a bit more averse to the "between-the-ears" aspect of the Cloased X, and more appreciative of the balance and soundstage of the Noire. But I still use both headphones, changing up sometimes based on what I'm doing or what kind of music I'm listening to.
And...?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Its not. you arent missing anything imho

Top Bottom