• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9n Review (Balanced Stereo DAC)

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I couldn't find a support mail on their website. So maybe @SMSL-Mandy could ask the engineers for us? I'd just like to know

a) Are the filters customized and customized 1 the same?
b) Are they bypassing a filter completely or are they just super slow filters?

It would help out a lot.

5mall5nail5

Hey all - do not want to break forum rules, but I recently designed and printed stack brackets that help align the SU-9n (or non-N I'd imagine) to the SH-9. I picked both up based on Amir's reviews and while they are great as-is, they were constantly sliding around atop one another.

I printed my design out for a few friends who also had the issue of the units sliding:
i.php

20220604162201-5c02b879-la.jpg

If this sort of plug is not allowed only let me know and I'll take it down, but otherwise let me know if this is something anyone could use!

Thanks for the great reviews and research!

depletion layer

I got only noise with dsd files on my SMSL SU9n.
I have tried with a SMSL DO100 and a Topping E50 and they works fine.
Someone has suggestions?

RandomEar

I got only noise with dsd files on my SMSL SU9n.
I have tried with a SMSL DO100 and a Topping E50 and they works fine.
Someone has suggestions?
That sounds like a possible driver problem. Have you checked if all is good with the USB driver? Correct revision? No exclamation mark in device manager?

depletion layer

That sounds like a possible driver problem. Have you checked if all is good with the USB driver? Correct revision? No exclamation mark in device manager?
On the same system, if I unplug SMSL SU9n and I mount the SMSL D0 100 all it's fine. I have the latest version of drivers, 5.30.
When I play the file on SU9n I can see on the DAC display DSD, DSD64.
Edit:
Updated ASIOProxyInstall and now I'm HAPPY!
Edit2: the real problem was a wrong configuration of Foobar components. Don't use AsioProxyInstall for a real DSD playback. Use foo_input_sacd-1.4.10, foo_out_asio+dsd-0.1.7.

Last edited:

archerious

Gradius

Btw, last driver is 5.40:
16/06/2022 03:30 PM 3.039.760 XMOS_USBAudio_v5.40.0_2022-06-15_setup.exe

Link:

About firmwares, it should be here:

Last edited:

RedCometZero

I have two. No problems with either. One used is as a pre-amp connecting my LG CX via TOSLINK to active studio monitors, the other is in my desktop headphone setup via a MacBook pro and connected to the THX 789 amp.

Selarom

I'm thinking to buy this one.

So far, no issues? Everything working as it should be?
In my experience, yes. I use it almost everyday. Not just for music, but for all PC audio. I also use it with the Drop THX789.

archerious

Ouch! That's horrible.

Let's us know if the new unit fixed the issues.

Will do, waiting on 4px to deliver it. Apos charged me $13.48 for shipping which I guess isn't bad for the RMA, but it looks like estimated delivery is still a few weeks away.

cap1980

Btw, last driver is 5.40:
16/06/2022 03:30 PM 3.039.760 XMOS_USBAudio_v5.40.0_2022-06-15_setup.exe

Link:

About firmwares, it should be here:
And you can find out what's new has been added to the driver? thanks in advance

I've noticed something new! I recently upgraded to a new amp and it's a power amp only. So far I can't find a preamp that makes me happy so I plugged the SU-9n directly into the power amp with Roon digital volume control. What I have noticed is, that whenever I switch inputs (my TV is connected via LDAC) and then switch back to USB the output is not muted and you can hear quite a bit of noise. Mostly some kind of whirring and intermittent white noise, it's pretty loud. As soon as you play audio over USB it disappears (it's dead quiet, even with no attenuation in between) and doesn't come back until you switch inputs again.

RandomEar

I also have to report another small bug of my SU-9n: Whenever it is first turned on in the day (after being unpowered over night), it will sync fine with my Toslink source, but after about 3 - 5 minutes, there will be a short dropout. This happens consistently with DPLL Min (=1) and I have tested it with two different sources (both PC motherboards, but different age and manufacturer). It seems like turning DPLL to 2 gets rid of these hiccups, but I'm not 100% sure, yet.

RedCometZero

I also have to report another small bug of my SU-9n: Whenever it is first turned on in the day (after being unpowered over night), it will sync fine with my Toslink source, but after about 3 - 5 minutes, there will be a short dropout. This happens consistently with DPLL Min (=1) and I have tested it with two different sources (both PC motherboards, but different age and manufacturer). It seems like turning DPLL to 2 gets rid of these hiccups, but I'm not 100% sure, yet.
DPLL needs to be higher than min for TOSLINK sources, generally. People who use TOSLINK sources like TVs (myself included) report the same thing at the default setting, but don't have issues with DPLL set to 2 or 3.

Gradius

FYI, v5.45 is out:
-----------------------------------------------------
V5.45.0 (August 8, 2022)

* New: improvments for MIDI

* Chg: TL-Installer 1.27

* Chg: API functions TUSBAUDIO_GetASIOInstanceCount and TUSBAUDIO_GetASIOInstanceDetails now loads the ASIO configuration,
call TUSBAUDIO_EnumerateDevices before is not required anymore

* Chg: documentation

V5.40.0 (May 5, 2022)

* New: multiple ASIO instances are now handled

* New: control panel supports multiple ASIO instances

* New: several registry parameters added

* New: new API version 5.9, some API functions added

* New: Installer now MSI based

* Fix: ASIO did not work if device is connected with invalid clock and
than switched to a valid clock

* Chg: volume control names can be configured in the control panel

* Chg: Documentation

Celty

Version V5.40.0 (May 5, 2022) is the last I see on the english website.

Top Bottom