• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chord Hugo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 77 25.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 111 37.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 87 29.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 8.3%

• Total voters

Jomungur

OK, but you are talking about key strokes input, graphic lags, and "moves". I was talking about sound. But anyway, yes, it makes sence to have the lowest latency possible for sound too but it's a choice I guess, just plug your headphones in your computer jack and not worry about those perfect multi taps filters... I find it also odd to chose a DAC based on that use case.
Oh, sorry, I thought you were also asking why gamers prioritize minimum latency in monitors. But the same logic would apply for sound as well if your choice of making a move in a game depended on hearing a sound. My point is if the total latency of all non-sound factors that comprise the chain of events between a user's input to the game output stage (such as display, Internet, keyboard/mouse input, etc.) is above the threshold of reactability, then added latency differences in sound processing will put someone at a disadvantage.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't know why you would use an external DAC for a game.
My son did because the internal DACs were so poor, telegraphing his GPU usage!

xbalkugqw

So, in the meantime, I was able to extensively test the Hugo 2 and Hugo TT2 for gaming myself and compare it to the onboard chip (Asus Z490-E with an ESS Sabre chip).

In fact, I could notice audio delays with the Hugos. USB is noticeably slower than Toslink, and again the TT2 is slower than the Hugo 2 which has less audio lag. But both are again slower than the onboard solution. And yes, that is quite noticeable to me. I have the test in-game even at 170Hz - such as when shooting or in the menu when fast pressing buttons. The onboard solution feels practically absolutely direct, sometimes I even felt like the controller (Xbox Series X controller) was slower than the audio.

Thus, the Hugo 2 and Hugo TT2 are not a good idea for (competitive) gaming in my opinion. The more expensive MOBOs from Asus have ESS chips and this is the only way to have satisfactory audio performance as far as I can see. If anyone has any ideas on how external DACs can be as fast, I would be very grateful for tips!

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
On latency, if it is bad enough for watching video, then it is bad enough for playing games. My son stuck to an analog CRT monitor for the longest time due to latency of flat panels. And spends money on everything from network card to mouse and keyboard for fast response. When I watch him play the games, he is hitting keys 1000 times a second! :) Clearly timing matters to him.
Could you start adding a latency measurements to your reviews Amir? (maybe a comparison to onboard motherboard audio if we think that's the fastest solution, although I'm not sold on the idea that motherboard sound has to be faster than USB DAC sound)

Last edited:

nagster

Off-topic
When clarity of sound, sound source position, low noise, etc. are important in addition to low latency. For example, RME HDSPe AIO Pro.
If this calculation is correct, it may be promising.

hdspeaiopro_01.png

Attachments

• hdspeaiopro_02.png
    hdspeaiopro_02.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 56
  • hdspeaiopro_03.png
    hdspeaiopro_03.png
    190.8 KB · Views: 56
  • hdspeaiopro_04.png
    hdspeaiopro_04.png
    128.6 KB · Views: 57

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely no disrespect intended towards Amir, but I fundamentally reject any enthusiastic review of a portable device that is priced at this outrageous level with such a paucity of options and antiquated hardware. This review seems almost like a consolation prize meant to level the playing field with Rob Watts.

I think most of us have reached a consensus that a substantial proportion of differences in bench performance among DAC/amps of this quality are beyond the range of human hearing, and thus I think price points and modernized features should arguably be primary factors in how favorably a product should be reviewed.

And the truth is that I can buy my iFi xDSD Gryphon for $599, and get a far more versatile range of single-ended and balanced outputs (and inputs), USB-C connectors, a full-featured graphical display, and robust, satisfying knobs. I can adjust its volume via both its own tight, clicky dial, as well my phone’s own volume buttons, because the two options are synched with each other. I get a more powerful amp, with even more clean headroom when using my headphone’s balanced pentaconn connector—plus the addition of a well-rendered ASP bass and presence enhancer.

I can opt for headphone accommodations via the device’s subtle cross feed circuitry, along with ifi’s built in ieMatch impedance compensator for sensitive IEMs (which was favorably reviewed on this site).

I can use it as a formidable desktop device, or comfortably drop it in my pocket due to its ergonomic form factor—and I can choose from a range of standard, predictable filter options instead of this thing’s made up ones.

Yes, it uses the latest iteration of Burr Brown’s chipset, vs Chord’s proprietary analog converter—perhaps if measured its SINAD would fall a bit short in comparison, but again, I question whether the end results would be audible. FiiO also makes several comparable options at price points similar to the Gryphon that are equally feature-rich and exceptionally well built—in contrast to this unjustifiably costly toy brick with clumsy buttons and obsolete connectors.

If this Chord thing warrants a rave, then I have totally lost sight of the grading criteria.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Absolutely no disrespect intended towards Amir, but I fundamentally reject any enthusiastic review of a portable device that is priced at this outrageous level with such a paucity of options and antiquated hardware. This review seems almost like a consolation prize meant to level the playing field with Rob Watts.

I think most of us have reached a consensus that a substantial proportion of differences in bench performance among DAC/amps of this quality are beyond the range of human hearing, and thus I think price points and modernized features should arguably be primary factors in how favorably a product should be reviewed.

And the truth is that I can buy my iFi xDSD Gryphon for $599, and get a far more versatile range of single-ended and balanced outputs (and inputs), USB-C connectors, a full-featured graphical display, and robust, satisfying knobs. I can adjust its volume via both its own tight, clicky dial, as well my phone’s own volume buttons, because the two options are synched with each other. I get a more powerful amp, with even more clean headroom when using my headphone’s balanced pentaconn connector—plus the addition of a well-rendered ASP bass and presence enhancer.

I can opt for headphone accommodations via the device’s subtle cross feed circuitry, along with ifi’s built in ieMatch impedance compensator for sensitive IEMs (which was favorably reviewed on this site).

I can use it as a formidable desktop device, or comfortably drop it in my pocket due to its ergonomic form factor—and I can choose from a range of standard, predictable filter options instead of this thing’s made up ones.

Yes, it uses the latest iteration of Burr Brown’s chipset, vs Chord’s proprietary analog converter—perhaps if measured its SINAD would fall a bit short in comparison, but again, I question whether the end results would be audible. FiiO also makes several comparable options at price points similar to the Gryphon that are equally feature-rich and exceptionally well built—in contrast to this unjustifiably costly toy brick with clumsy buttons and obsolete connectors.

If this Chord thing warrants a rave, then I have totally lost sight of the grading criteria.
I think the value question only really affects the rating at the lower end of the price spectrum. High price, high performance will get top marks always.

The review seems very fair and the conclusion pretty much sums up my view of this:

"As a portable DAC+headphone amplifier, the Hugo 2 has superb performance. As a Desktop product, its USB noise sensitivity is disappointing but otherwise performance is very good. Mind you, desktop products at far, far lower costs run circles around it. So if that is your application, I highly suggest you look elsewhere.

As a portable product, I can highly recommend the Chord Hugo 2. For desktop, it is a pass for me especially at the astronomically high retail cost."

EDIT- its a pass for me for so many reasons as either a desktop or portable product- but if someone were to gift me this, I wouldnt be upset.

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
My son did because the internal DACs were so poor, telegraphing his GPU usage!
My PC does the same. Nothing a $12 optical DAC won't cure though so a Chord seems overkill.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

If it's any consolation, I always keep price in mind when I vote in the poll, and I would think a good proportion of other people do the same, if it's obviously overpriced for what it is then I think the public rate it down in the poll - which I think is the right thing to do. Amir tends to disregard price regarding the panther ratings, he's not very price sensitive, but I think we are in the polls.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it's any consolation, I always keep price in mind when I vote in the poll, and I would think a good proportion of other people do the same, if it's obviously overpriced for what it is then I think the public rate it down in the poll - which I think is the right thing to do. Amir tends to disregard price regarding the panther ratings, he's not very price sensitive, but I think we are in the polls.
Question is, how many who voted, actually have had any real time and usage out of an item!
I could vote that a Chord Dave is a happy panther, but I have never touched one!
Still I am able to vote.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Question is, how many who voted, actually have had any real time and usage out of an item!
I could vote that a Chord Dave is a happy panther, but I have never touched one!
Still I am able to vote.
I think it's totally still fine to vote on an item you don't own - for instance it would be simply ridiculous if only people who owned it could vote, as of course it would be totally uncontrollable to only allow owners to vote, and also that would be extremely narrow minded. It's more than totally ok for people to have an opinion on a product based on it's measurements combined with Amir's listening impressions and combined with the price of the item and how that fits into the landscape of the current market for that product. Public voting is pretty useful in this instance I think.

Trell

Major Contributor
Still I am able to vote.
Why should it matter if people have used, much less owned, a device of this type?

Here you have relevant measurements to judge its performance.

From people who claims to own one there is a lot of prattle about its sonic qualities, I’d say.

I voted fine, btw, but I never never owned nor will I own any Chord device.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why should it matter if people have used, much less owned, a device of this type?

Here you have relevant measurements to judge its performance.

From people who claims to own one there is a lot of prattle about its sonic qualities, I’d say.

I voted fine, btw, but I never never owned nor will I own any Chord device.
I agree. But I do admit I voted it "Poor", as I think there is absolutely no excuse for it's ridiculous price (and combined with the ugly looks too is a little insulting for the money).

Trell

Major Contributor
This is exactly what I think of the head-fi style of Chord owner posts on the various unique sonic qualities: less than worthless.

The owners could be honest and say that they bought it for various reasons like style, service, pride of ownership, for their usage, status signaling etc. Instead they engage in magical thinking about performance to justify their purchase.

Chord, as a company, preys on this, of course. An excellent reason for me to not have anything to do with that company.

So the implied demand that only owners or users should vote is in line with deceptive, manipulate and dishonest marketing.

Here are last you’re showing your true colors.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for making my point so effectively.
Now we know the value of the voting scheme.
You have your own interpretations & conclusions, they're not that of the majority here I'm fairly certain, not that the majority is always right.......but I don't see myself as a sheep, and the voting system on here reflects the true value of the product in many a case. For instance, as it came down to it, the measurements show this DAC/amp is measuring well, but it's ridiculously expensive, hence most people have voted it "Not Terrible", which is quite a fair reflection all things considered........(I was extreme and voted "Poor" as I can't get past the over $2000 for this item). I really do think the voting is pretty good in putting the overall product into perspective in terms of the way it sits in the market.

Trell

Major Contributor
Thank you for making my point so effectively.
Now we know the value of the voting scheme.
You did notice that I wrote that I voted fine in my earlier post you replied to?

The voting scheme is, of course, subjective opinion but it’s at least honest about that: it does not claim otherwise. The head-fi style owner posts indulging in magical thinking and fantastical claims that don’t exist, but insists are true, does so.

What point is that I so effectively show? That so very many head-fi style posters are deluded and highly resistant to science? Have a lack of critical thinking when exposed to science based facts?

What was your point again?

Top Bottom