• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to Add External Powered Stereo Speakers to TV With TV Remote Volume Control

wacomme

I'm trying to add a pair of powered stereo speakers to a TV so that can bypass the small and poor sounding TV speakers. I'm not looking for anything fancy - I'll be using some old AudioEngine A2 speakers with RCA and 3.5mm inputs. I can do this with optical out and a simple dac. However, I cannot control the TV volume with the TV or Xfinity remote. Is there an inexpensive way to connect the A2 speakers to my TV and have the volume controlled by the Xfinity remote?

I've read about HDMI ARC and how that connect allows for TV remote volume control. However the only HDMI ARC connection on the TV is hooked to the Xfinity cable box - and apparently the cable box requires a HDMI ARC connection. There's another HDMI connection on the cable box (as well as the TV), but they are not ARC connections. I've also explored HDMI audio extractors, but I don't think these devices allow for remote volume control either - lacking CEC? Do I need an AVR? I don't need anything fancy, just an improvement over the TV audio; the A2 speakers, themselves, are nothing fancy.

Anyway, is there a reasonably priced solution to my hookup problem?

Lambda

Major Contributor
i would say this depends on your exact model of tv as well as firmware/software on it.
Dose the tv have an Headphone out?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I use a pair of Kef LS50 Wireless II for the exact same reason you point out. Perhaps you could use an HDMI splitter to keep using the ARC of your TV.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

i would say this depends on your exact model of tv as well as firmware/software on it.
Dose the tv have an Headphone out?
Yes. And I tried that method. I can get sound out of the speakers, but no remote volume access.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I use a pair of Kef LS50 Wireless II for the exact same reason you point out. Perhaps you could use an HDMI splitter to keep using the ARC of your TV.
I'm pretty sure you cannot split HDMI ARC - yes for HDMI, but no for HDMI ARC.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you plug the A2s into the headphone output of the TV, it will usually mute the internal speakers and the TV volume control should then control the volume of the A2s. I have a pair of JBL One Series 104s plugged into a fairly old LG TV in the bedroom and it works like this.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Thinking I overlooked something, I plugged in the speakers (RCA or 3.5mm) into every audio in/out I could find on the TV or cable box. At best I could get sound just from the speakers and not the TV or the TV + speakers, but none on these scenarios allowed me to control the speaker volume from the TV remote.

I also checked for a headphone connection. I have none on the TV or cable box - unfortunately.

OP
wacomme

wacomme

I have a Samsung un40d6000sf TV and it does NOT have a headphone jack. Ugh.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you checked the audio settings on the TV? For example, on my Samsung QLED I can set independent volumes for speakers and headphones.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh dear, page 66 of the user manual...

1658604433715.png

Good old Samsung!

OP
wacomme

wacomme

Have you checked the audio settings on the TV? For example, on my Samsung QLED I can set independent volumes for speakers and headphones.
Yes. I've tried all combinations. Just triple checked, and nada. Sound from speakers - yes, but no remote control.

MCH

Major Contributor
External dac + learning remote to combine the remotes of the dac (for volume) and the tv (for everything else)?

OP
wacomme

wacomme

External dac + learning remote to combine the remotes of the dac (for volume) and the tv (for everything else)?
My wife like her Xfinity remote and likely doesn't want to learn how to use a new one. Plus, a dac with volume control and a learning remote sounds pricey, though I'll explore these options. But perhaps the best option is a new TV with headphone out.

Reactions: MCH

JSmith

Master Contributor
I can do this with optical out and a simple dac. However, I cannot control the TV volume with the TV or Xfinity remote.
This is quite normal for optical digital out, it's at a fixed level... it's the receiving and converting device that controls volume. It's unfortunate most new TV's don't have a 3.5mm analogue out any longer.
Is there an inexpensive way to connect the A2 speakers to my TV and have the volume controlled by the Xfinity remote?
Well you need a DAC with volume control or an AVR. Something like a Topping E30 or SMSL Sanskrit for example, both of which have a small remote control.

JSmith

OP
wacomme

wacomme

This is quite normal for optical digital out, it's at a fixed level... it's the receiving and converting device that controls volume. It's unfortunate most new TV's don't have a 3.5mm analogue out any longer.

Well you need a DAC with volume control or an AVR. Something like a Topping E30 or SMSL Sanskrit for example, both of which have a small remote control.

JSmith
I would need the dac + universal remote. I don't want to fumble with two remotes - one for TV functions and the other for volume. However, universal remotes aren't cheap. Do newer TV's have 3.5mm analog out?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm trying to add a pair of powered stereo speakers to a TV so that can bypass the small and poor sounding TV speakers. I'm not looking for anything fancy - I'll be using some old AudioEngine A2 speakers with RCA and 3.5mm inputs. I can do this with optical out and a simple dac. However, I cannot control the TV volume with the TV or Xfinity remote. Is there an inexpensive way to connect the A2 speakers to my TV and have the volume controlled by the Xfinity remote?

I've read about HDMI ARC and how that connect allows for TV remote volume control. However the only HDMI ARC connection on the TV is hooked to the Xfinity cable box - and apparently the cable box requires a HDMI ARC connection. There's another HDMI connection on the cable box (as well as the TV), but they are not ARC connections. I've also explored HDMI audio extractors, but I don't think these devices allow for remote volume control either - lacking CEC? Do I need an AVR? I don't need anything fancy, just an improvement over the TV audio; the A2 speakers, themselves, are nothing fancy.

Anyway, is there a reasonably priced solution to my hookup problem?
Get something similar to this:

Top Bottom