• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20d 2022 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 38 13.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 241 85.2%

• Total voters

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
None of these super-clean amplifiers and DACs have DSP, and that is something that I feel that is lacking in these products. I use an iPad as my main computing device and my phone is an iPhone, thus I can‘t do DSP on device. I am relegated to use the Qudelix 5K (like 80 dB SINAD), that as far as I know, doesn’t measure as excellently as my DX3 Pro+, but it has DSP. If they could make something that measures pretty good with DSP (at least 10-band parametric EQ with fully customizable values) at a lower price than RME, it would me a instant buy for not just me, also for many.
Yup, I like that idea.....additionally I'd like Creative to do a gaming version of such a thing so that it would also do Creative's version of 7.1 Virtual Surround (whilst it also applies the PEQ at the same time), as well as all the stuff you mentioned.....but we can't have everything & we're getting very niche with my idea!

BHazard

I knew it!

Glad I took the plunge early on with this. I've been very impressed with this unit, and I'm glad to see the measurements match with what I was hearing.

This unit sits almost untouched in features/performance/price right now (aside from the a10d 2022) in a combo unit. When both were on sale for a bit a month or so ago, the value was even greater.

Thanks for the review!

Can the this be used as a preamp?--rca outputs to amplifier?
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Sabaj A20d 2022 balanced stereo DAC and headphone amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $420.
View attachment 219262
The new revision is very attractive and stylish. It belies its low cost. I like the colorful display and clear indicators. Headphone amplification is included and is output in both 1/4 and 4.4 mm. Note that the latter is not balanced and is simply there for compatibility (which I appreciated).

Back panel is what you expect:
View attachment 219263

A remote control is also provided. I like using the unit and my only wish was for acceleration support in volume control. Otherwise it takes a bit too long to go from one extreme to another.

Sabaj A20d 2022 DAC Measurements
Performance is exceptional using both balanced and unbalanced output even after bringing the levels down to nominal:
View attachment 219264

View attachment 219265

It lands the A20d comfortably in our top 20 best DACs:
View attachment 219266

Dynamic range goes with that:
View attachment 219267

Performance keeps improving up to maximum output level:
View attachment 219268

Multitone performance is exceptional:
View attachment 219269

Linearity is perfect:
View attachment 219270

IMD is excellent as well although we see a hint of famous ESS DAC signature:
View attachment 219271

Jitter is exemplary with all three inputs:
View attachment 219272
View attachment 219273

Note that I have refined this test to have less noise. So be careful in comparing it to past reviews although difference is not large.

Filter performance is the usual:
View attachment 219274

Using the default Fast Linear, THD+N performance is superb across full audible band:
View attachment 219275

Sabaj A20d 2022 Headphone Amplifier
I was very pleased to see so much output in this combo:
View attachment 219276

View attachment 219277

With no clipping, what you hear is the headphone distortion and not the amp (at 32 ohm and higher). This is plenty of power to drive 95% of the headphones out there to very loud levels.

50 mv output is very good and above average:
View attachment 219278

View attachment 219279

So even sensitive IEMs should be good to go.

As noted, the amp only clips at impedances below 32 ohm. Performance otherwise is excellent:

View attachment 219280

Sabaj A20d 2022 Headphone Listening Tests
I started with my everyday Dan Clark Stealth and was so pleased to see the A20d drive it with ease. Only at maximum volume did I hear some crackling but that was above comfort already. The sound was dynamic, detailed and just a delight. I saw no need to test with headphones with less drive requirement than the Stealth. You have my promise that it will blow your socks off! :)

Conclusions
Sabaj A20d 2022: a formula driven to perfection. Don't know what else to say. In every test and every angle, performance is incredibly good -- often at state of the art. Combine that with unique good looks and you have an easy winner.

It is my absolute pleasure to recommend the Sabaj A20d 2022 revision.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Can this be used as a preamp?--rca outputs to power amp?

Mobster

I just bought the Sabaj A20d 2022, but are having some unexpected issues with the USB-C input when using a USB-C to USB-C cable; It doesn't work.. The unit isn't recognized. However if I use a USB-C to USB-A cable with a USB-A to USB-C adapter at the end again the unit get recognized and it works great. I've never experienced this issue before. Other DACs with USB-C inputs I've tried, like the Mojo 2, is good to go as soon as you connect the USB-C to USB-C cable. Anybody have any idea why USB-C to USB-C do not work on this unit (at least not mine), while USB-C to USB-A to USB-C again do? It's pretty inconvenient that you can't do USB-C to USB-C directly, but need USB-A in between...

natna

I just bought the Sabaj A20d 2022, but are having some unexpected issues with the USB-C input when using a USB-C to USB-C cable; It doesn't work.. The unit isn't recognized. However if I use a USB-C to USB-A cable with a USB-A to USB-C adapter at the end again the unit get recognized and it works great. I've never experienced this issue before. Other DACs with USB-C inputs I've tried, like the Mojo 2, is good to go as soon as you connect the USB-C to USB-C cable. Anybody have any idea why USB-C to USB-C do not work on this unit (at least not mine), while USB-C to USB-A to USB-C again do? It's pretty inconvenient that you can't do USB-C to USB-C directly, but need USB-A in between...
I suppose you tried another USB-C to USB-C cable? Something with the impedance and the clock lock maybe...

MAB

Major Contributor
I would contact support and ask. Assuming your cable and source are good, it seems you have a defective unit.

nsfgp

W/ a phone?? Try more devices. Pretty sure it is a USB-OTG host/peripheral negotiation issue (see similar issues reported here for the DO100).
Using the A-C adaptor forced/negotiated the right OTG host/peripheral roles for the phone/DAC. With a C-C cable seems to have problem w/ OTG protocol negotiation for some devices. It is a per device issue I think as it is not a straightly-followed USB-OTG protocol implementation for different commercial device when a c-c cable is used.

Try a regular USB C-A cable with a computer and I bet it will work all the time.

Last edited:

Mobster

I would contact support and ask. Assuming your cable and source are good, it seems you have a defective unit.
I've tried multiple cables that works with all other USB-C units I've got, and yes they transfer data. It's not strictly charging cables. The source is a MacBook Air M1 2020 and the latest iPad Mini 6 which both have USB-C only. I did try with a Windows laptop too which didn't work either (USB-C to USB-C). The fan it pretty noisy on the Windows laptop so I wouldn't use it a source anyways so I didn't bother looking for drivers, Since the last post mentioned phone; using a iPhone as source with the USB camera adapter works very well too, but the idea was to use the iPad Mini 6 (which I just bought as well for this purpose) and the MacBook as sources connected with a USB-C to USB-C cable, which doesn't work unfortunately (usually it's "plug and play"), but using a USB-C to USB-A cable does with a USB-A to USB-C adapter at the end. If a USB C - USB A - USB C cable existed it would be perfect so you wouldn't need two cables connected with USB-A in between to get USB-C to USB-C. It may be the host/perheriphal negotiation as mentioned (sounds likely) which would be understandable too if a phone was source. However I have never had any issues hooking up my MacBook to other USB-C devices.

USB C-A cable and then a USB A-C adapter again do work. Or just the former if you have USB-A outputs on your source, but not USB-C to USB-C. It would have been better it the DAC had USB-A or USB-B input instead then so you could get away with one cable if your source is USB-C. Perhaps the USB-C input is a little bit purely designed since everything thing else with a USB-C input I've tried works with the MacBook, including Mojo 2. Unless others who has this DAC can get USB-C to USB-C to work and it's a design flaw perhaps it can be fixed with a firmware update?

Hxx

Yup, I like that idea.....additionally I'd like Creative to do a gaming version of such a thing so that it would also do Creative's version of 7.1 Virtual Surround (whilst it also applies the PEQ at the same time), as well as all the stuff you mentioned.....but we can't have everything & we're getting very niche with my idea!
I would love a "gaming" centered dac/amp around a 9038 pro with a powerful amp surround sound etc even if it ends up being a little pricey. That would never happen since creative makes more money selling cheapo units to the masses

nsfgp

@Mobster ... yeah feel the pain totally. DAC should just stay with a USB-B plug. Strong/Stable and works every time; tons of great quality cable available too.
Hopefully SMSL/Sabaj can come up with a firmware fix too; but not holding my breath for it.
If you really like the DAC just use an A-C adaptor and kiss all the USB-C nonsense goodbye. Good luck.

May be there is a reason Topping has not gone to USB-C plug for any DAC yet?? Doing more harm than good possibly.

MAB

Major Contributor
I've tried multiple cables that works with all other USB-C units I've got, and yes they transfer data. It's not strictly charging cables. The source is a MacBook Air M1 2020 and the latest iPad Mini 6 which both have USB-C only. I did try with a Windows laptop too which didn't work either (USB-C to USB-C). The fan it pretty noisy on the Windows laptop so I wouldn't use it a source anyways so I didn't bother looking for drivers, Since the last post mentioned phone; using a iPhone as source with the USB camera adapter works very well too, but the idea was to use the iPad Mini 6 (which I just bought as well for this purpose) and the MacBook as sources connected with a USB-C to USB-C cable, which doesn't work unfortunately (usually it's "plug and play"), but using a USB-C to USB-A cable does with a USB-A to USB-C adapter at the end. If a USB C - USB A - USB C cable existed it would be perfect so you wouldn't need two cables connected with USB-A in between to get USB-C to USB-C. It may be the host/perheriphal negotiation as mentioned (sounds likely) which would be understandable too if a phone was source. However I have never had any issues hooking up my MacBook to other USB-C devices.

USB C-A cable and then a USB A-C adapter again do work. Or just the former if you have USB-A outputs on your source, but not USB-C to USB-C. It would have been better it the DAC had USB-A or USB-B input instead then so you could get away with one cable if your source is USB-C. Perhaps the USB-C input is a little bit purely designed since everything thing else with a USB-C input I've tried works with the MacBook, including Mojo 2. Unless others who has this DAC can get USB-C to USB-C to work and it's a design flaw perhaps it can be fixed with a firmware update?
It seems at the most basic level that it should work when connected over USB-C with no excuses. I see nothing in the owner's manual or website description that says you should be experiencing this issue. Your gear seems like it has a defect. Hard to speculate here, you should contact customer service.

Lambda

Major Contributor
DAC should just stay with a USB-B plug.
I wish everything would move to USB-C and would be powered over USB-C or able to power connected devices like a laptop.

I get the point that not everyone (yet) has PC that can power high power USB-C devices.
For this make it have 2 USB-C ports. If the PC can't supply the needed power level the second port can be used to connect power supply
If a power supply is connected the DAC (or every usb device) shuld also supply power over the usb c cable to the host PC

Like monitors that can charge the connected laptop via USB-C

MAB

Major Contributor
@Mobster ... yeah feel the pain totally. DAC should just stay with a USB-B plug. Strong/Stable and works every time; tons of great quality cable available too.
Hopefully SMSL/Sabaj can come up with a firmware fix too; but not holding my breath for it.\
But if the customer bought a USB-C product to hook up to their USB-C devices.
If you really like the DAC just use an A-C adaptor and kiss all the USB-C nonsense goodbye. Good luck.
I would say if you really like the DAC, get it replaced or repaired. Sorry, but a workaround for a manufacturing defect or other issue on one of the key interfaces isn't OK. The USB-C interface isn't a wild unsolved frontier.

nsfgp

@MAB points taken. Probably @peterwen should bring this USB-C-C cable issue up to their engineers for some answers.

Confirmed issues with some DO100/A20d-2022 if I recall correctly?? Anyone with same issue using D-6/SU-6/A10d-2022 as well??

BHazard

But if the customer bought a USB-C product to hook up to their USB-C devices.

I would say if you really like the DAC, get it replaced or repaired. Sorry, but a workaround for a manufacturing defect or other issue on one of the key interfaces isn't OK. The USB-C interface isn't a wild unsolved frontier.
It's not something to be "repaired", nor is it defective. I think the design is intentional.

USB-C to USB-C doesn't work for me either, but a USB-C to USB-A cable works fine. I'm thinking this was done to limit a power draw to mobile devices.

I haven't seen many DACs with a USB-C connection, so I'm fine with it. I much prefer this over USB-B.

MAB

Major Contributor
It's not something to be "repaired", nor is it defective. I think the design is intentional.

USB-C to USB-C doesn't work for me either, but a USB-C to USB-A cable works fine. I'm thinking this was done to limit a power draw to mobile devices.
There are other ways to limit power to connected devices over this interface. Also, no powered devices are expected to be attached to this USB-C, it is a DAC input, that argument doesn't hold water. If it is intentional, I can't imagine why.

BHazard

There are other ways to limit power to connected devices over this interface. Also, no powered devices are expected to be attached to this USB-C, it is a DAC input, that argument doesn't hold water. If it is intentional, I can't imagine why.
You could easily attach an Android device with USB-C to USB-C to this if it was able to do so. How do you think small portable DACs are powered? By the phone.

Much like how the 4.4mm Balanced jack is just there for convenience, I'm thinking the same thought process applied to the USB-C input. Not a true USB-C spec, but there for convenience.

MAB

Major Contributor
You could easily attach an Android device with USB-C to USB-C to this if it was able to do so. How do you think small portable DACs are powered? By the phone.

Much like how the 4.4mm Balanced jack is just there for convenience, I'm thinking the same thought process applied to the USB-C input. Not a true USB-C spec, but there for convenience.
Yes, you can hook up as you describe. No, it doesn't require the USB-C limitation you just invented to explain why the interface doesn't work for users who do have USB-C, and expected USB-C connectivity.

BHazard

Yes, you can hook up as you describe. No, it doesn't require the USB-C limitation you just invented to explain why the interface doesn't work for users who do have USB-C, and expected USB-C connectivity.
You could also own the product, troubleshoot a product, or ask the Engineers why before claiming it defective, yet that seemed to be missed on your end. I only mentioned a possibility, since I'm working just fine here and enjoying the DAC.

Although expected, nowhere does it claim to do USB-C to USB-C. You assumed a defect, yet did nothing to find the root cause or prove the statement.

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
You could also own and troubleshoot a product, or ask the Engineers why before claiming it defective, yet that seemed to be missed on your end. I only mentioned a possibility, since I'm working just fine here and enjoying the DAC.
You didn't read my post, I mentioned defect is possibility too. I specifically said to bring it up with customer service. From the outset of my posts. You should read what I wrote. See below for instance. Please read more carefully!
It seems at the most basic level that it should work when connected over USB-C with no excuses. I see nothing in the owner's manual or website description that says you should be experiencing this issue. Your gear seems like it has a defect. Hard to speculate here, you should contact customer service.
Also..
Although expected, nowhere does it claim to do USB-C to USB-C.
What does USB Input mean? Nowhere does it claim that it isn't USB-C compatible to a USB-C device. If you ship a device with USB-C connection, and claim USB connectivity, it should work with that interface. I would like to hear if this is expected operation, or if there is an issue, or an oversight in the manual. These do need to be cleared up for sure. If the manual needs to be changed to say it has limited USB-C connectivity then it needs to say that.
1658552393090.png

Top Bottom