• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Grimani Systems Rixos-L Review (Active DSP Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 90 51.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 21 12.0%

• Total voters

Andysu

Major Contributor
No, about $100k-$200k to watch movies if you are using these speakers (and the comparable electronics).

Some people want to really feel like they are on the shores of Normandy when watching Saving Private Ryan.
JBL professional is what the movie was mixed and reproduced on at the cinema . least JBL holds 85% of cinema market . if people want be fooled by m&k marking with "star wars" and parting with tens to hundreds of thousands for tiny speakers . amazing the amount of JBL cinema you can find cheap on ebay these days . that movie print came in at the new warner village , bristol 12 plex when projectionist there . of course the cinema PA speakers used was KCS they sort of look like the JBL 4675A with surrounds looking a little like the 8330 and subs sort of looking like 4645 . i think x4 KCS subs behind the 4 larger screens . large screens mid size screens and smaller screens (that used vertical masking)
it only played in SR-D on CP500 , there was i think 4 or 5 dts in the cinema that wasn't used as much as SR-D was . there was dts test prints with excepts from sevreal movies including "born on the forth of july" .

Last edited:

Hart

What do you mean normal 2x4 wall? Also, I'd imagine that a lot of these go into baffles made for specific media rooms, custom work.
What I mean is, obviously, someone thinking of installing in a standard wall which is 2 x 4 will not be able to do so.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, about $100k-$200k to watch movies if you are using these speakers (and the comparable electronics).

Some people want to really feel like they are on the shores of Normandy when watching Saving Private Ryan.
They'll need to crank the A/C up to max and set up a rain machine indoors if they want that sensation.

behappybevegan

For ht I would get these and be happy.
JBL PRX835 15" woofer 3-way 138 dB max 1300,- euro each
(I would love to see these measured btw)

JBL-PRX835W - Multi, website.jpg
freq.jpg

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What I mean is, obviously, someone thinking of installing in a standard wall which is 2 x 4 will not be able to do so.
Well it's not "obviously" as half the new homes have metal studs not 2x4s. Aside, as stated, these aren't going in to most people's living room but a media room. where custom baffles will be made for them but back to 2x4 homes... These still can be installed in them as the studs can be cut and braced, just like we had to do when wall mounting 120# plasmas on the wall. We had to cut out and reframe to accommodate the mounts, especially articulating mounts that weighed 50# themselves.

When someone is buying 8k inwall speakers, obstacles rarely exist that can't be overcome.

nothingman

When someone is buying 8k inwall speakers, obstacles rarely exist that can't be overcome.

Exactly. People who think standard stud spacing is relevant aren’t appreciating the scope of the average project where these speakers will be used. The whole room is either being built or starting over from scratch.

Stud spacing will be custom or custom mounts will be made, and all of the acoustic treatment and many speakers will be between the studs, and then acoustically transparent fabric will go over the entire wall to make things look nice and clean.

I work with Anthony Grimani and would be happy to pass along any questions about the product to him and Manny LaCarrubba, the designer of the waveguide.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I work with Anthony Grimani and would be happy to pass along any questions about the product to him and Manny LaCarrubba, the designer of the waveguide.
Anthony has a lot on his plate all the time. He is doing great work. I wonder how his attempt to get some new audio standards put in place is coming along?

Ra1zel

Looks like an excellent speaker
If this is FR of excellent speakers... if excellent speakers have this kind of resonances and distortion spike at 1khz, I'm terrified to learn how worse speakers look.

Anthony has a lot on his plate all the time. He is doing great work. I wonder how his attempt to get some new audio standards put in place is coming along?
Yes, he is always busy working on standards and standardization projects like that. I am not sure which one in particular it might be!

Everett T

Forum Donor
If this is FR of excellent speakers... if excellent speakers have this kind of resonances and distortion spike at 1khz, I'm terrified to learn how worse speakers look.
Did you read the review or just look at the measurements?

Bartl007

If you take a look at a website called audiosciencereview.com they have many examples of "worse" speakers...just don't forget that correlation is not causation!;)

Ra1zel

If you take a look at a website called audiosciencereview.com they have many examples of "worse" speakers...just don't forget that correlation is not causation!;)
On the contrary speakers with preference score lower than 2.0 are quite rare, but if this is the definition of excellence in 2022 who am I to spoil your fun.

Everett T

Forum Donor
On the contrary speakers with preference score lower than 2.0 are quite rare, but if this is the definition of excellence in 2022 who am I to spoil your fun.
He stated in the conclusion that he couldn't full test the speakers. When you factor in these are going behind transparent screens in wall and other factors that change it's natural frequency response, it's the end result that makes the so good. They will be DSPd to the correct response and have the power available to do it.

You're missing the purpose of this speaker and is the reason this conversation is happening. You're not gonna buy this take it home, slap it in a wall and start playing.

Ra1zel

They will be DSPd to the correct response and have the power available to do it.
Yeah sure go ahead and DSP something when off axis response is terrible, the results will be fantastic. Not.

I have wrongly assumed that anyone on science forum at least read Sound Reproduction by Toole before proclaiming his wrong opinions on speakers.

Ra1zel

You're missing the purpose of this speaker and is the reason this conversation is happening.
The purpose of any speaker is the same. Accoruate sound reproduction. This speaker unfortunately doesn't do that. It first generates sound that is only somewhat comparable to what it was fed with signal wise and then adds some resonances on top and 2% HD just for good measure. Care to explain to me how will eq fix enclosure resonances and driver breakup?

Everett T

Forum Donor
The purpose of any speaker is the same. Accoruate sound reproduction. This speaker unfortunately doesn't do that. It first generates sound that is only somewhat comparable to what it was fed with signal wise and then adds some resonances on top and 2% HD just for good measure. Care to explain to me how will eq fix enclosure resonances and driver breakup?
Did you read a single thing I wrote? You're missing so much and I'm not sure how to convey it any more.

Everett T

Forum Donor
Are you sure the resonances will be there after installation? Again it was noted that the speaker could not be tested fully and noted that the response is close to the manufacturer. I'd bet you dollars to donuts that if you heard them installed you would be blown away.

I won't bother with anymore back and forth. It's clear to you that this product isn't for you and we'll leave at that.

Bartl007

Yeah sure go ahead and DSP something when off axis response is terrible, the results will be fantastic. Not.

I have wrongly assumed that anyone on science forum at least read Sound Reproduction by Toole before proclaiming his wrong opinions on speakers.
Maybe you missed the part of Floyd's book where he discusses the research showing ~30% of our preference for loudspeakers is attributable to bass/low frequencies.:rolleyes:

This speaker is not designed to be used without subwoofers (multiple, well placed- to counteract room modes) and the scoring system you referenced is flawed because of its dismissal of non “full range” loudspeakers. You can safely disregard the preference score of 2.0 and instead look at the “with subs” score of 6.9 as it compares to other speakers in its output class (genelec 8361A= 7.9 with subs, or Neumann kh420= 8.2 with subs)

Before you trot down to your local pro audio store to place your order for the Neumann kh420, just remember, preference score correlation is not causation (higher score does not necessarily mean better sound)

Ra1zel

Maybe you missed the part of Floyd's book where he discusses the research showing ~30% of our preference for loudspeakers is attributable to bass/low frequencies.:rolleyes:

This speaker is not designed to be used without subwoofers (multiple, well placed- to counteract room modes) and the scoring system you referenced is flawed because of its dismissal of non “full range” loudspeakers. You can safely disregard the preference score of 2.0 and instead look at the “with subs” score of 6.9 as it compares to other speakers in its output class (genelec 8361A= 7.9 with subs, or Neumann kh420= 8.2 with subs)

Before you trot down to your local pro audio store to place your order for the Neumann kh420, just remember, preference score correlation is not causation (higher score does not necessarily mean better sound)
None of this matter if you have 2% HD in frequencies where ear is most sensitive and resonances. Instruments resonate, speakers shouldn't. Failed product and no amount of coping will change that.

Top Bottom