• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A20d 2022 Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 38 13.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 241 85.2%

• Total voters

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review Amir.

If you know that your products are going to test well, it's a smart move to send them to ASR for review.
It outperforms the CHORD HUGO 2 and leaves you with $2500 to piss away on expensive interconnects, hookers and blow or all three.
You can roll around on a bed of overpriced cables.

90db at 50mv!!!really nice.
@amirm recently i connect this DAC with a usb reclocker. i can not understand the difference. It does sound a bit different on the speakers. But I can't understand why the USB digital signal of the notebook changes. Can you test it and measument the difference? thanks a lot.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This Amp is on the horizon:
Take a look to this new system here.
Very interesting but probably should be posted in its own thread rather than here.

djgras

- can I use it as a preamp with active speakers (Dynaudio Focus 110A) through RCA?
Yes
- How does it compare with the Topping equivalent? Topping A90 discrete? DX5 ? EX5 ? DX7 Pro ?
Similar
- I currently have a SOtM SDP1000 DAC/preamp: should I upgrade and why or have these devices not reached the same audio quality level yet?
Probably as good or better. Most likely better.
Ok. Why do you think? (Vs Topping DX5 or 7Pro or SoTM)

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OMG, they went full Christmas tree on the display.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ooooh-and VU meters!

38E76AA1-6AAA-4F6A-86B8-E00C0CD29E00.jpeg

Labjr

Major Contributor
I really misss Oppo. Too bad they left the DAC business.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think these devices demonstrate the beginning of a change within a greater perception of Chinese electronics. Old timers remember the pattern with Japan. When I was a kid, electronics from Japan (around the late '50s and early '60s) had the general reputation as 'junk' quality.

Over the decades, that perception changed. And it wasn't just electronics. Think Toyota. I remember when the first Toyotas hit American roads. At the low end, people laughed, scratched their head, and said to themselves, "Why would I want to buy this funny looking Corona, when I could buy something I understand..., like a funny looking Beetle?"

One of the first audio men recognizing a shift in intrinsic quality was (of all people) Mark Levinson, who sold rebranded Chinese gear under his Red Rose moniker, in his own stores. Once word got out, 'trad' high-end was scandalized. But I give Mark credit for recognizing the change, early on.

Nowadays, audio made in Japan is mostly out of reach to the 'bargain' consumer. That is, consumers looking for something on the low end of affordable. China is taking over that spot; a spot formerly occupied in the '70s by Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui, et.al.

Perhaps out of economic necessity (i.e., trying to run a viable manufacturing business), US made hi-fi has gravitated to the extreme high end, where products are sold to a very few, based on cosmetics, perception, and exclusivity. Schiit has the low end, but their products don't match Chinese gear on the bench, so they concentrate on pushing (or at least not discouraging) supposed magical aspects of their gear.

Probably Benchmark is about the least expensive you can expect, as far as quality gear made in a US factory goes. They offer 'added value' of local support and extended warranty, which you don't get or expect with something like a Sabaj. FWIW, I clicked on the Amazon Sabaj store, and they show a few products, most of them not in stock. Their official Chinese Web site just loads and loads. I personally don't have time for that sort of thing, but YMMV

Urib

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Sabaj A20d 2022 balanced stereo DAC and headphone amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $420.
View attachment 219262
The new revision is very attractive and stylish. It belies its low cost. I like the colorful display and clear indicators. Headphone amplification is included and is output in both 1/4 and 4.4 mm. Note that the latter is not balanced and is simply there for compatibility (which I appreciated).

Back panel is what you expect:
View attachment 219263

A remote control is also provided. I like using the unit and my only wish was for acceleration support in volume control. Otherwise it takes a bit too long to go from one extreme to another.

Sabaj A20d 2022 DAC Measurements
Performance is exceptional using both balanced and unbalanced output even after bringing the levels down to nominal:
View attachment 219264

View attachment 219265

It lands the A20d comfortably in our top 20 best DACs:
View attachment 219266

Dynamic range goes with that:
View attachment 219267

Performance keeps improving up to maximum output level:
View attachment 219268

Multitone performance is exceptional:
View attachment 219269

Linearity is perfect:
View attachment 219270

IMD is excellent as well although we see a hint of famous ESS DAC signature:
View attachment 219271

Jitter is exemplary with all three inputs:
View attachment 219272
View attachment 219273

Note that I have refined this test to have less noise. So be careful in comparing it to past reviews although difference is not large.

Filter performance is the usual:
View attachment 219274

Using the default Fast Linear, THD+N performance is superb across full audible band:
View attachment 219275

Sabaj A20d 2022 Headphone Amplifier
I was very pleased to see so much output in this combo:
View attachment 219276

View attachment 219277

With no clipping, what you hear is the headphone distortion and not the amp (at 32 ohm and higher). This is plenty of power to drive 95% of the headphones out there to very loud levels.

50 mv output is very good and above average:
View attachment 219278

View attachment 219279

So even sensitive IEMs should be good to go.

As noted, the amp only clips at impedances below 32 ohm. Performance otherwise is excellent:

View attachment 219280

Sabaj A20d 2022 Headphone Listening Tests
I started with my everyday Dan Clark Stealth and was so pleased to see the A20d drive it with ease. Only at maximum volume did I hear some crackling but that was above comfort already. The sound was dynamic, detailed and just a delight. I saw no need to test with headphones with less drive requirement than the Stealth. You have my promise that it will blow your socks off! :)

Conclusions
Sabaj A20d 2022: a formula driven to perfection. Don't know what else to say. In every test and every angle, performance is incredibly good -- often at state of the art. Combine that with unique good looks and you have an easy winner.

It is my absolute pleasure to recommend the Sabaj A20d 2022 revision.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I hope you can get their integrated amp the a30a for a test. It has great features at a very attractive price....

Top Bottom