• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Toku

Major Contributor
@pos , have you noticed this as well?
I immediately noticed this behavior after buying SU-8.
I bought the Topping D50 DX7s, and in addition to these I bought the latest model SU-8.
But when I knew this behavior it was a shock. The same report is also posted on Amazon.jp.
The reason is to erase the pop noise that occurs when switching to songs with different bit rates and I imagine.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I immediately noticed this behavior after buying SU-8.
I bought the Topping D50 DX7s, and in addition to these I bought the latest model SU-8.
But when I knew this behavior it was a shock. The same report is also posted on Amazon.jp.
The reason is to erase the pop noise that occurs when switching to songs with different bit rates and I imagine.

I see. It would be interesting to know if V2 behaves the same way.

Norton

How will smsl su8 dac and smsl sh8 headphone amplifier sound?Can anyone have such devices together?

Juan Francisco

Hello,

FYI, I just received a SU8 from the lastest Massdrop that was stated to be the version 2 unit. I did NOT receive a version 2 -- I received the version 1.1 that can be "modified" to the V2...however, I am not willing to do that. I will request the correct version from Massdrop or a return.View attachment 18533
The same happened to me. I ordered a second unit, after receiveing a mail from Shenzen Audio -Amazon- telling me they are only selling the 1.2 version, but I get again a v1.1 one. I returned both. It seems they have a lot of v1.1 units and don't want to lose the money invested. But the pity is you are not aware which version are you buying because they don't put any external mark on the device showing that. Bad marketing procedure. Maybe it is better to wait for a while, before reordering it.

hrbngr

Juan,

Sorry to hear you are having the same trouble. I'm going to PM Mandy here on this forum for a recommendation of where to get the 1.2 version, otherwise the more i wait the more i'll be inclined to spend TOO much money on a balanced DAC!!

Badrush

To change the old version to V1.2, you only need to solder one wire as the picture below:

Thanks for yue's and amir's reminding.

To clarify It is important that you unsolder the anode of the diode as well. The anode should be detached from the board, and then connected to the +9v line on the other side of the board.

If you didn't have any electronic knowledge , don't do that!

把原先的二极管的阳级从电路板上焊下来,再用导线接到板子另一端的+9v引脚上,
否则短路9伏到5伏上会损坏机器,切记!切记!切记!
无动手能力与不懂电子知识人员请不要自行改装!

I received a 1.1 version from amazon.fr (Eu stock with three days delivery). Modded to v1.2 immediately. Fast but not so easy! Open the SU-8 is very easy: no feet to remove, no clips, no glue, etc. But the two capacitors around the diode are a little annoying (I preferred to take the soldering iron rather than the hot air gun).

So no problem with this mod.

Thanks.

Mumstead

My first post here. I just want to say that this is a wonderful forum that has saved me a lot of money. The levelheaded scientific approach to audio is a breath of fresh air!
I just received my version 1.2 SU-8 today. I ordered it on 12/5 direct from the Shenzhen Audio web site. It seems that if you really want a 1.2 right now, this is the way to go.

hrbngr

Mumstead,
Thanks for the info. I plan to wait a bit and order from there as well. Might you post the direct link?

Only current issue is that as time goes by, I am getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a RME ADI-2 DAC and be done with it...if it was $800 instead of $1000-1100, I would probably already have one on the way.

In terms of balanced options, this really does seem like the next, most affordable bet (ver 1.2, of course).

BurritoJustice

Forum Donor
Mumstead,
Thanks for the info. I plan to wait a bit and order from there as well. Might you post the direct link?

Only current issue is that as time goes by, I am getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on a RME ADI-2 DAC and be done with it...if it was $800 instead of $1000-1100, I would probably already have one on the way.

In terms of balanced options, this really does seem like the next, most affordable bet (ver 1.2, of course).

Go here, then click the "Friends of RME Login" on the left and enter a delivery address outside Europe to remove the VAT (I'm assuming you are American based on currency). Should bring the price down to €800 flat, which is around 900USD.

The same method also gets the ADI-2 Pro Fs Black Edition for €1.265.81 which is a substantially smaller price gap than usual. I bought one of those myself, the service is lovely and the shipping was fast and secure.

Mumstead

Hrbngr,
Here is the link to the SU-8 on Shenzhen Audio.

BurritoJustice
You're killing me. Now I want to order the RME ADI-2 DAC. So much for saving money!

helloworld

Hrbngr,
Here is the link to the SU-8 on Shenzhen Audio.

BurritoJustice
You're killing me. Now I want to order the RME ADI-2 DAC. So much for saving money!
Since you are considering rme adi 2 dac or pro, maybe you should also consider apollo x6 which has two better adc chips and two microphone preamp

wadec22

why is there no product page for the su-8 on smsl audio's website?

hrbngr

helloworld,
apollo x6..looks amazing, but $2k... :eek:

wadec22,
re: no product page, think this was mentioned earlier in this thread, or the V1 thread, wonder if they are just getting the V2 page ready???

sound63

Dear Sirs,
some of You would be so kind to tell me what this DAC utilizes in the output stage? I imagine that it is not a discrete one, so which opa ???

gtb75

I jumped in on the most recent (11/29/18) drop for the SU-8 after Matt from Massdrop (MD) said we would be getting the v2 model. My drop has an estimated ship date of 1/8/19, so nobody who has already received a SU-8 from MD has been "promised" a v2. Matt made the statement during the most recent drop, so I highly doubt it would be retroactive to prior drops as SU-8's from prior drops were likely already in transit. Now if mine shows up in January and isn't a v2 then I will contact MD and ask for a replacement or refund, but nobody who is part of earlier SU-8 drops has any commitment from MD that they will be getting the v2.

Some Massdrop exclusive high volume items (like the 6XX) are stocked by MD, but I don't think the SU-8 is one of them based on the longer shipment times. MD likely orders them as needed after a drop closes and I assume the wait time is the "slow boat from China". The D50 is up for a drop right now and doesn't have an expected ship date until 1/23/19, so same scenario there I would assume.

wadec22

I jumped in on the most recent (11/29/18) drop for the SU-8 after Matt from Massdrop (MD) said we would be getting the v2 model. My drop has an estimated ship date of 1/8/19, so nobody who has already received a SU-8 from MD has been "promised" a v2. Matt made the statement during the most recent drop, so I highly doubt it would be retroactive to prior drops as SU-8's from prior drops were likely already in transit. Now if mine shows up in January and isn't a v2 then I will contact MD and ask for a replacement or refund, but nobody who is part of earlier SU-8 drops has any commitment from MD that they will be getting the v2.

Some Massdrop exclusive high volume items (like the 6XX) are stocked by MD, but I don't think the SU-8 is one of them based on the longer shipment times. MD likely orders them as needed after a drop closes and I assume the wait time is the "slow boat from China". The D50 is up for a drop right now and doesn't have an expected ship date until 1/23/19, so same scenario there I would assume.

I think you are spot on.

Same thing with the Amazon orders, like I had warned others earlier. From Amazon, you have to select the option that is shipping from China and arriving in Jan to get v2.

hrbngr

gtb75,

yep, it is strange, I just checked the Massdrop transactions delivered tab and date purchased is 11/27/18 w/a delivery date of 12/07/18. I had thought that I would not be getting SU-8 until January. Hopefully the next drop will definitely be v2s. Wanted to order via Massdrop as they at least I can get a return if it is not as expected.

sound63

Dear Sirs,
some of You would be so kind to tell me what this DAC utilizes in the output stage? I imagine that it is not a discrete one, so which opa ???
Hi Sirs and Amir , any of You have the right reply for me ? I' read the whole thread and even in the SMSL site, nobody wrote about the output section
of this DAC ! I'm looking forward to receiving a reply from You
Regards

helloworld

Hi Sirs and Amir , any of You have the right reply for me ? I' read the whole thread and even in the SMSL site, nobody wrote about the output section
of this DAC ! I'm looking forward to receiving a reply from You
Regards
Does that opa really matter? Why do you care that so much?

Top Bottom