• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX5 Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 4.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 89 23.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 262 69.9%

• Total voters

Trell

Major Contributor
The volume of the headphone output and XLR/RCA can be set separately, the device remembers this. What does not work, as far as I know: separate volume for XLR and RCA or XLR variable and RCA fixed.

I would guess that the XLR and RCA outputs are active at the same time and mirror each other, manual does not say, but then I would not expect separate volume for the XLR and RCA nor XLR variable and RCA fixed.

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
I would guess that the XLR and RCA outputs are active at the same time and mirror each other, manual does not say, but then I would not expect separate volume for the XLR and RCA nor XLR variable and RCA fixed.
I'm not sure if there is any device that can do this at all: even the RME ADI-2 DAC FS can't do it, as far as I know.

Trell

Major Contributor
I'm not sure if there is any device that can do this at all: even the RME ADI-2 DAC FS can't do it, as far as I know.

The ADI-2 DAC can't but the Pro can as it has two DAC IC's according to RME. Such a feature will add quite a lot to the price, I believe, especially if you'll need two DAC IC.

Last edited:

HappyMetalGuy

Relating to Topping DX5 I noticed that it doesn't have DSD filters. So maybe you should stick with PCM files because of the normal noise shaping in DSD. I personally have some SACD and several DSD files so if I don´t want to send that entire noise trough the audio chain I'll need a DAC with some kind of filter. Why don't they distribute the files already filtered so we can take advantage of the supposed goodness of this almost analogue format?

LME49990

Hi, this is my first post here, decided to get the DX5 and am pleased with the overall look and feel of the product, After checking that the unit is working as intended, I open up to learn more about the internal. First look it is using a switch mode power supply with an output of 15V up to 1.4A. I guess at this price point they will not be providing one with a toroidal transformer. The Ess9068as only have 3 filter mode. One of the integrated circuit have it marking erased off
P7160831.jpg

Last edited:

tiramisu

Hi, this is my first post here, decided to get the DX5 and am pleased with the overall look and feel of the product, After checking that the unit is working as intended, I open up to learn more about the internal. First look it is using a switch mode power supply with an output of 15V up to 1.4A. I guess at this price point they will not be providing one with a toroidal transformer. The Ess9068as only have 3 filter mode. One of the integrated circuit have it marking erased off
Altera/Intel CPLD. Very cool.

wbenjin

First, switching power supply doesn't mean it sounds bad, and you will hardly (or cannot) hear the differences between "good" filter types. Some DACs with tons of filters often have some slow roll off filters which is not good in theory and should not be used.

tiramisu

Under utilized I see a mic input and pre-amp and 2 adc's X 2 of these on a board.
It could do so much more.

1658122124022.png

LME49990

This is the section of the headphone amp of DX5
Signal amp is using TI OPA1612A Driver is using Ti TPA6120
Gain is switch using relay which is good

According to the datasheet of the Ti TPA6120 the resistor on the output should at least be 10ohm
But topping choose instead to go with 3.3 ohm, So it might not be a good idea to pair it with a headphone with ultra low impendence,
With a resistor if 3.3ohm in series with the output how could they specify the output impendence to be <0.1ohm ?

The rated power from the datasheet of TPA 6120 is 80mW into 600ohm From a ±12-V Supply at 0.00014% THD + N

Anybody knows what NFCA means ? I did not find any global feedback from the output

P7160872.jpg

Hxx

Hi, this is my first post here, decided to get the DX5 and am pleased with the overall look and feel of the product, After checking that the unit is working as intended, I open up to learn more about the internal. First look it is using a switch mode power supply with an output of 15V up to 1.4A. I guess at this price point they will not be providing one with a toroidal transformer. The Ess9068as only have 3 filter mode. One of the integrated circuit have it marking erased offView attachment 218918
above the plug in white on the lower right hand side, is that a 3 pin fan connector? Sure looks like one. Does that mean u can install a fan presumably to cool the PSU? Interesting....

Hxx

Is it worth it over the DX3 pro+? Not planning on using the balanced outputs anytime soon.
ofc not. i think even topping will have a hard time dethrone-ing that unit from being the best value dac/amp going forward.

Veri

Master Contributor
According to the datasheet of the Ti TPA6120 the resistor on the output should at least be 10ohm
But topping choose instead to go with 3.3 ohm, So it might not be a good idea to pair it with a headphone with ultra low impendence,
With a resistor if 3.3ohm in series with the output how could they specify the output impendence to be <0.1ohm ?
One can deviate from the datasheet and still have good results..
The output impedance is <= 0 ohm as measured by amirm.

Top Bottom