• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir's TODO thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeadphoneFan

OK, I am losing track of what all I have bought that needs reviewing/writing. :) So I thought I create a thread on them and give you all an opportunity to also opine as to which you want done next. Not that I will listen to you, but it might be a form of therapy for you! :D

I think this is more or less is it.

And I thought I was busy.

HeadphoneFan

Haha wow. I’m guessing this forum in general has grown faster than you expected

Last edited:

CaptObvious

Except few amps, like the ugly smsl ad18, most of them doesn't have sub-out. Why manufacturers can't place a f*** sub-out?

I was actually thinking of running a subwoofer from the unbalanced outputs and the balanced go out to powered speakers. That's a good compromise to get a 2.1 out of a dac with both balanced & unbalanced outputs.

Keltere

I was actually thinking of running a subwoofer from the unbalanced outputs and the balanced go out to powered speakers. That's a good compromise to get a 2.1 out of a dac with both balanced & unbalanced outputs.

I don't use active speakers just passive. The best way it's using a preamp or dac with 2 rca pre-out hoping that your analog input on the amp doesn't suck like the one on smsl ad18

TommyK

It is but no one has offered yet to loan it to me for measurements. If you run into an owner, please try to convince him to loan it to me for testing. :)
I have Audio-GD R2R 11 I purchased a couple of months ago. I just learned that Amir is in Seattle area and so am I. I will be happy to loan the box for measurements.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have Audio-GD R2R 11 I purchased a couple of months ago. I just learned that Amir is in Seattle area and so am I. I will be happy to loan the box for measurements.
Most excellent! Let's organize meeting up and get it tested.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Using the Micca Origain speaker amplifier since August.

I've been enjoying it quite much on my computer with my bookshelves and active sub. I found it quite affordable for the features it gives (50 WPC + Sub out). I would like to suggest that for review since it represent a great value and the sonic output seems clean.

Else I'm curious about the Onkyo A9110 or the A9050 or anything that could provide me a measurable "upgrade" over the Origain.

Memoryerror

Forum Donor
I would like to see Stax energizers, if you are able to measure them.

Bamboszek

Stax energizers are purely analog but there is like 500V at output. It would be possible to measure them with some divider but to be honest I see no point in it. You can't connect anything diffrent to it apart form matching Stax headphones anyway.

Memoryerror

Forum Donor
Stax energizers are purely analog but there is like 500V at output. It would be possible to measure them with some divider but to be honest I see no point in it. You can't connect anything diffrent to it apart form matching Stax headphones anyway.
There are quite a few extra models from Stax it sound like Amir owns several. Not to mention that other companies make energizers that will work with Stax, Woo Audio, iFi, Headamp, Mjolnir.

KR8NUX

The SMSL M3 has become rather popular after Zeos put it on his suggestion list. Request Amir to please review it soon.
It has the same CS4398 DAC chip as the Topping D30, so can either show how good the chip is/show good design is more important than the chip. Either way, win win :)

Silou

Measurements of the Aune X5s and SMSL DP3 would be interesting to see.

BTW: The LineOut of my SMSL M3 produces some annoying sounds when connected to my AVR and Loxjie D20. The Sound is not audible when I use XLR-RCA Adapter Cables to my D20. This was not a problem for almost two years. I do not know what happened but it is really annoying.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Measurements of the Aune X5s and SMSL DP3 would be interesting to see.

BTW: The LineOut of my SMSL M3 produces some annoying sounds when connected to my AVR and Loxjie D20. The Sound is not audible when I use XLR-RCA Adapter Cables to my D20. This was not a problem for almost two years. I do not know what happened but it is really annoying.
Interesting. When searching for M3, I noticed a number of people complaining about broken units.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom